What to do between MIA arrival time and PCL shuttle pick up?

jennypuccinelli

Hi,

We're landing at MIA at 5:30 am for a cruise leaving out of Ft. Lauderdale the same afternoon. We've booked a transfer and I've learned that the shuttle won't pick us up from the airport until noon. I'm not sure what we're going to do in the airport for 6 hours…

If we take a cab to the port early are there things to do (shops/restaurants) in the area knowing we'll have our luggage with us?

And flying in the day before isn't a possibility for us.

Thanks for any information!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I recommend taking an Uber from MIA after you get your luggage and go to the Harbor Shoppes on 17th St., just down the street from the port entrance. We are locals and always see cruisers in the center with their luggage. Get dropped off at Joe's Cafe and have a good, reasonably priced breakfast. Walk a few doors down and pick up any last minute toiletries you may have missed, including sunscreen and maybe a pack of water, at Publix supermarket then walk down a few more doors to Total Wine for a couple of bottles of wine to take onboard. You can do all of this any day of the week though a weekday morning will mean a longer ride from MIA. By now it should be 11am and you can get another Uber or taxi (they hang out in the shopping center on port days) to take you into the port. Depending on traffic it will take 10-30 minutes to get to your pier, just in time for boarding.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is a hotel inside the MIA airport - cleverly named the Miami Airport Hotel - you could check in for a few hours for a shower, nap, etc.

You can pay to store your bags at MIA and then taxi/shuttle to one of the better nearby hotels (think Hilton) for breakfast and a few mimosas.

You could cancel your transfers, rent a car one-way, put the bags in the trunk, and then go where you want until you drop the car off and head to PE.

if you are still wondering there is NOTHING in the port ... no shops, no restaurants .. just the terminals and early they are busy off loading. If you get there too early you are just in the way ...

Are talking about your 4-17-2017 cruise? Isn't this a Monday .... if it is I'd stay away from the highways until at least 10:00 .... Monday morning traffic on the highways in Miami and Lauderdale can be BRUTAL! Stop and Go and crazy Miami traffic at its worst .... find a day room or chill at the airport unless you appreciate heavy traffic as an amusement. You can kill some of the time by having a Cuban breakfast at La Carreta with a location in the airport ... MANY airport workers eat here. This is family style Cuban cooking .... http://lacarreta.com/

p.s. many of the recommendation you have above are forgetting your times .... most stores don't open until 10 ....

Edited by Capt_BJ