Seabourn cancelling

Capri73

OK for anyone following this.We have been reimbursed our air travel tickets.It is coming from the company that chartered the cruise not SB.

SB is still only offering 10% and we need to make our change by Dec 31.With the holidays and trying again to find another cruise and air is almost impossible.

Thank god for a great travel agent but I am still disappointed in SB only offering their great discount until the end of the month.She is working on it but does not look promising.Not sure what we will do.

How embarrassing for Seabourn, and of course, so inconvenient for you. Hope this works out for you. It will make me think twice when considering a booking in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

OK for anyone following this.We have been reimbursed our air travel tickets.It is coming from the company that chartered the cruise not SB.

SB is still only offering 10% and we need to make our change by Dec 31.With the holidays and trying again to find another cruise and air is almost impossible.

Thank god for a great travel agent but I am still disappointed in SB only offering their great discount until the end of the month.She is working on it but does not look promising.Not sure what we will do.

Hopefully, your TA will be able to work it out with SB, just like with the chartering company.

but you are still getting your original money back, right? on what grounds could they possibly keep it if they were the ones that cancelled?

Seabourn always cover your out of pocket expenses and offer a discount on another cruise.

Small cruise lines do charter and have done so for many a year,its something that you just deal with if it happens to you so just try to find another cruise that fits in with your other plans.

It's really not worth getting too stressed about.

Using an experienced Seabourn TA would have had you without worry much sooner.

Edited by Mr Luxury

• 1 month later...
Well, the above-mentioned July journey has indeed been re-routed. Most of the Greek ports have been preserved, but all the Turkish ports are cancelled, replaced by Malta and Syracuse (Sicily).

We are offered the same as reported by OP if cancelling. If accepting new itinerary, we get $300 per person non redeemable OBC.

Hi sfvoyage,

Just to follow up on your post form this older thread. I am thinking about booking the July29, 14 night Athens/Athens sailing. I believe this is the same one that you changed to as a result of the cancellation.

I am wondering if you have any additional insight or thoughts on the July 29th sailing. Hoping it will be a nice group of Seabourn regulars and not a large group booking on board? The sailing seems to be filling up quickly.

Many thanks

Hi sfvoyage,

Just to follow up on your post form this older thread. I am thinking about booking the July29, 14 night Athens/Athens sailing. I believe this is the same one that you changed to as a result of the cancellation.

I am wondering if you have any additional insight or thoughts on the July 29th sailing. Hoping it will be a nice group of Seabourn regulars and not a large group booking on board? The sailing seems to be fillings up quickly.

Many thanks

I'm afraid I don't have any idea about the demographics of passengers on this voyage. Normally summer Mediterranean Voyages skew a bit younger. Should be a good itinerary.

Been looking at the 29th tonight. Don't really fancy the French Riviera and there appear to be a few new islands on the Maltese and Greek Islands cruise - may just have to ring the TA tomorrow and book a suite for 3 (me, beloved and the bike of course - it definitely got a taste for cruising last year :)

Hello Techno, the sailing on the 29th of July leaves from Athens and doesn't have the French Riviera on the itinerary. The previous segment on the 16th leaves out of Barcelona and stops at many of the typical riviera towns. Since we've done that before, we opted for the latter. It still has Sicily and Malta but mainly Greek destinations. Good luck on your plans, whatever they might be.

Sorry Sunprince - my post was a bit confusing. We were also looking at the Spain and French Riviera cruises in July on the Encore but didn't fancy that itinerary so the 29th on the Odyssey seems perfect. Lots of mountain biking to be had :)

Sorry Sunprince - my post was a bit confusing. We were also looking at the Spain and French Riviera cruises in July on the Encore but didn't fancy that itinerary so the 29th on the Odyssey seems perfect. Lots of mountain biking to be had :)

Hi Techno, I noticed the price on the July 29th Odyssey cruise (and several others), increased in the last few days. Hopefully you got your booking in before that!

This is just outrageous, and mere reimbursement of out of pocket expenses in a joke.

Even a 10% discount is a joke.

If this happened to me and I wasn't offered significant compensation I would never sail the line again and discourage every person I know from doing so.

Certainly not a 6* experience, especially when you consider that summer plans in the Med must be made well in advance because the best places (pre- and post cruise) book very, very early.

I am the one who posted Seaborne cancelling.After numerous cruises with SB which we enjoy this last experience is less than stellar.

They cancelled our trip in Aug.Before anyone comments we have a great travel agent who we have used for 16 years.

10 % off a future cruise and $400 shipboard credit was what they offerd.The trip that they cancelled was $2000 less and a $500 shipboard credit.

We re booked our mistake because we like SB.They will not assign us a cabin so we have no clue where we will be.Agent has been working with them daily to no avail.

Also as now we have not been refunded our air tickets for our previous cruise.So we have paid for 4 business class tickets and 2 cruises.

You can say what you want but SB is not stepping up to the plate.

Hi Capri, this is absolutely an awful experience for you. One of the worst nightmare scenarios when booking a cruise. A cruise booking should be something to look forward to not have regrets about.

To clarify, when you rebooked, was it for the same number of days? Did you have to pay the higher fare...or did Seabourn honour the original price? Also, did you incur a higher cost for rebooking the business class air? Given the recent Seabourn sale promotions (which I recently took advantage of), the cost of your cruise should have went down, if comparing to the July 29 itinerary? Sorry for all the questions, but I am genuinely interested in the details. And also hoping you are ending

up in a good, or better place. Regardless, hoping you can put this terrible experience behind you and you actually enjoy your cruise.

BTW, If someone from Seabourn senior management is not reading this, then they are out of touch with their customers.

Edited by Sunprince

I am the one who posted Seaborne cancelling.After numerous cruises with SB which we enjoy this last experience is less than stellar.

They cancelled our trip in Aug.Before anyone comments we have a great travel agent who we have used for 16 years.

10 % off a future cruise and $400 shipboard credit was what they offerd.The trip that they cancelled was $2000 less and a $500 shipboard credit.

We re booked our mistake because we like SB.They will not assign us a cabin so we have no clue where we will be.Agent has been working with them daily to no avail.

Also as now we have not been refunded our air tickets for our previous cruise.So we have paid for 4 business class tickets and 2 cruises.

You can say what you want but SB is not stepping up to the plate.

Time to "lawyer up" in my opinion.

Hi Capri, this is absolutely an awful experience for you. One of the worst nightmare scenarios when booking a cruise. A cruise booking should be something to look forward to not have regrets about.

To clarify, when you rebooked, was it for the same number of days? Did you have to pay the higher fare...or did Seabourn honour the original price? Also, did you incur a higher cost for rebooking the business class air? Given the recent Seabourn sale promotions (which I recently took advantage of), the cost of your cruise should have went down, if comparing to the July 29 itinerary? Sorry for all the questions, but I am genuinely interested in the details. And also hoping you are ending

up in a good, or better place. Regardless, hoping you can put this terrible experience behind you and you actually enjoy your cruise.

BTW, If someone from Seabourn senior management is not reading this, then they are out of touch with their customers.

Same amount of days and we had to pay the difference.Our Business class tickets went up $1600 each. So this trip is $5200 more but they did give us that wonderful 10% discount.We really enjoy SB but their corporate office is a nightmare to deal with.It is our mistake for rebooking I cannot blame anyone but I thought by now we would have had our money refunded.

Time to "lawyer up" in my opinion.

While I completely agree this was the wrong thing for Seabourn to do regarding the lack of compensation, hiring a lawyer is the worst thing you can do.

First of all no lawyer will take this on a contingency basis so you will have to pay their hourly rate which will be much more than you could recover if you were able to win.

If you took this to court, the best you could probably do would be small claims and since I believe all or at least most cruise lines are incorporated outside the US, have no idea how to require them to show up or how you would collect your judgement if you won one with their absence.

Carnival/Seabourn have lawyers who have written their T's & C's to cover them and not sure what the basis of your filing suit would be. Not being fair is not a case.

Good luck and hope they do the right thing but, no lawyer or court!!1

Dave is correct. Your legal fees will exceed what you may collect from Seabourn. Only the lawyers get rich for sure. Cruise line contracts are written very tightly and they CTA cover their arse pretty well. No lawyer will take this as a contingency case. Small claims in most states is a maximum of 5K and since the cruise line is not registered in the US it will be difficult to collect a judgement and the case could be appealed dragging it on for months.

You really don't want to go there as it is a nightmare. I have filed three lawsuits not cruise related and they all dragged on for months.

No lawyer not going down that path.

We will enjoy our trip and be very careful if this ever happens again.

I hope I have given you some information if this is ever the case for you.

I will keep you posted when we are finally reimbursed.

Lawyers only cost you more money in these situations than they are worth. Personally, having to "fight the right fight" is emotionally and physically draining, so moving on is not a bad thing.

My TA has a relationship with the President of Seabourn, not sure if that's helps but I will use it if need be.

After giving your TA their best shot at it, the next best approach is social media. Post your experience on Seabourn's Twitter, Facebook or Instagram account. Or if all else fails find a consumer focused journalist in Miami (or some other major Seabourn market) where the head office is, and get them on your side. I work for a large corporation, and it is true that the the squeaky wheel gets attention. It actually works. Threatening media or legal action also helps (and you don't have to follow through)...they get nervous once they know you are serious.

Edited by Sunprince

Lawyers only cost you more money in these situations than they are worth. Personally, having to "fight the right fight" is emotionally and physically draining, so moving on is not a bad thing.

My TA has a relationship with the President of Seabourn, not sure if that's helps but I will use it if need be.

After giving your TA their best shot at it, the next best approach is social media. Post your experience on Seabourn's Twitter, Facebook or Instagram account. Or if all else fails find a consumer focused journalist in Miami (or some other major Seabourn market) where the head office is, and get them on your side. I work for a large corporation, and it is true that the the squeaky wheel gets attention. It actually works. Threatening media or legal action also helps (and you don't have to follow through)...they get nervous once they know you are serious.

Thank you.My agent has a meeting tomorrow with someone from SB lets see what happens.I will keep you posted.