"cannot recognize lens attach it properly" Error Message on A6000

donaldsc

Some of you may have or will encounter this error message on your A6000 as I did which makes it impossible to use your 16-50 kit lens. When this happened to me, I took it into my local camera shop and they said that it would cost me a bunch of bucks to even get it diagnosed. I said forget it an bought another better lens. Luckily, I did not throw the old one and I just came across this thread on DPreview -

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52804506

Specifically note this post from Tony Crewell -

"Good news: A fix for the SELP 1650 lens. The problem for me, and apparently for most of not all the others, is the inner barrel of the lens failing to return to its proper position at power off. Since it's not in the proper place to make the necessary contacts, the body does not "see" it. I tried the push-in method suggested above, but did not work.

Here's what did work and seems to be a permanent fix.

I have an aftermarket lens hood and cap to replace the original cap that falls off easily: Fotasy Metal Screw-in Lens Hood + Lens Cap for Sony E-mount SELP1650 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Retractable Zoom Lens. That hood screws into the filter threads on the lens inner barrel. I mounted the lens, turned on the camera and then using the lens hood as a grip, gently pulled the inner lens out to it's proper "on" position. That did it. Now the lens returns to its correct position and comes on normally. If it fails to do so in the future, the fix is already in place.

To be clear, I have no connection with the manufacturer or seller of the lens hood."

Worked like a charm.

Now I have the new Sony E 18-105mm f/4 PZ G OSS Lens lens that I bought used from Adorama at a great price and also my old kit 16-50 lens which is not as good but much smaller to carry.

Hope that this information helps someone and saves them a bit of money.

DON