Two day canal experience question

New2cruise1483

I am researching a Full transit Panama Canal cruise for spring of 2018, and one of Princess's itineraries offers a two day canal experience where they offer a full day in Panama City as one of the port stops. My only concern is that we wil have four sea days in a row at the end of this itinerary instead of having it broken up with ports at the end. Is Panama City a must see type of place or is there not much worth seeing? Any thoughts or input is appreciated.

We did the train excursion from Panama City to the first set of locks. We were bused back.

Our tour consisted of a short bus tour around the city, the train ride, viewing the locks from the land and then busing back.

I know it doesn't sound exciting but I am a train nut plus wanted to experience as much of the canal as possible and I'm glad we did it.

Second cruise through the canal that we just completed did not stop in PC. Didn't miss it.

I would suggest looking at possible excursions on that cruise to help you decide.

It puzzles me why so many cruise lines do not offer the port call in Panama when they transit the Canal. Many of Princess' Canal itineraries do not offer a stop in Panama in addition to the transit. To me it would be a huge advantage with their 2 day experience. Not only would you be able to take a closer look at the Canal if you like, but Panama City has so much history from the Henry Morgan sacking the original Panama City, (Panama Veijo), then there is the preserved Casco Antiguo, where Panama City was moved to after Morgan's attempt of urban renewal. Then you have modern Panama City that just blossomed all around those two sites. If you want the closest thing to a Nat Geo experience, then you may wish to visit the Embera Indians. Of course there are other things like riding on the first and fastest trans continental railroad in the world as diane in ny did... The Panama Railroad, well maybe it isn't the fastest, but it is the quickest!

Take a look and see what tours are offered that you maybe interested in. Panama is a different stop unlike many of the other Caribbean beach port of calls.

To me the four sea days would be a welcome addition, a win-win in my case.

We did the train excursion from Panama City to the first set of locks. We were bused back.

Our tour consisted of a short bus tour around the city, the train ride, viewing the locks from the land and then busing back.

I know it doesn't sound exciting but I am a train nut plus wanted to experience as much of the canal as possible and I'm glad we did it.

Second cruise through the canal that we just completed did not stop in PC. Didn't miss it.

I would suggest looking at possible excursions on that cruise to help you decide.

Thank you for th suggestion, my BF also enjoys trains, so that would definitely interest us. I've read somewhere that you HAVE to book ship excursions for this port, do you know if this is true?

It puzzles me why so many cruise lines do not offer the port call in Panama when they transit the Canal. Many of Princess' Canal itineraries do not offer a stop in Panama in addition to the transit. To me it would be a huge advantage with their 2 day experience. Not only would you be able to take a closer look at the Canal if you like, but Panama City has so much history from the Henry Morgan sacking the original Panama City, (Panama Veijo), then there is the preserved Casco Antiguo, where Panama City was moved to after Morgan's attempt of urban renewal. Then you have modern Panama City that just blossomed all around those two sites. If you want the closest thing to a Nat Geo experience, then you may wish to visit the Embera Indians. Of course there are other things like riding on the first and fastest trans continental railroad in the world as diane in ny did... The Panama Railroad, well maybe it isn't the fastest, but it is the quickest!

Take a look and see what tours are offered that you maybe interested in. Panama is a different stop unlike many of the other Caribbean beach port of calls.

To me the four sea days would be a welcome addition, a win-win in my case.

Thank you so much for the helpful reply. My Dad was in the Navy, and was stationed in Panama in the late 60's or early 70's for three years, part of his duties being giving ships their routing orders to go through the canal. This is one reason I am interested in Panama City. I'm with you in regards to the sea days, I love them! However, my BF has a tendency to get bored easily, so I try to consider that when looking at itineraries

I definitely recommend the two day canal experience. If you enjoy learning about different cultures, then visiting an Embera Village is a must. I went on an independent tour with Anne Gordon, and had a fabulous time. We went up the river in a traditional dugout canoe, stopped for a short swim at a water fall, spent a few hours at an Embera Village - this tour was the highlight of my trip. If an Embera village doesn't sound interesting, then going to the Mille Flores observation area gives a more indepth experience about the building of the canal. We thought it was just as fascinating watching the ships go through the canal. I think there's an observation deck at the new locks at Gatun - I haven't done that... yet. The train ride was fun, too. In other words, in my opinion, there's more to do in Panama than even the extra port day allows.

I'm doing another full crossing in about a week, and I'm disappointed we don't have the two day canal experience (we were limited by dates). Yes, our sea days will be more broken up, but I enjoyed the multiple sea days back to LA.

Thank you for th suggestion, my BF also enjoys trains, so that would definitely interest us. I've read somewhere that you HAVE to book ship excursions for this port, do you know if this is true?

You only have to book excursions through the ship if you are doing what is called a partial transit. A partial transit cruise is usually a round trip out of Florida that enters the Canal on the Atlantic side, locks up at Gatun Locks and then goes to anchor. This is where you may disembark on a ship's excursion and rejoin the ship later in the day at Colon. Passengers who do not take a ship's excursion will retrace the trip back down through Gatun Locks.

Since you will be on a full transit then you are free to book independently while the ship is at anchor off Ft. Amador. Ft. Amador is the stop for Panama City.

• 2 weeks later...

Last month we did the Celebrity Infinity and stopped in Colon. I was so glad we did. We took the ship Past, Present, Future excursion that showcased the locks, both the new and old. We were able to see ships going through both, which was lucky timing. While the new locks were nice I enjoyed the old locks so much better. You get to be very close to the ships and even talk to the people on the ships going through the lock. It was surreal.The tour guide said that the Canal officials are trying to close the old locks to visitors and just have people visit the new ones. They are still allowing cruise tour operators to go to the old locks but he thinks that within a few years that may not be the case.I don't know if that is true or not, but I for one was very glad to get the opportunity to witness them from land.

Last month we did the Celebrity Infinity and stopped in Colon. I was so glad we did. We took the ship Past, Present, Future excursion that showcased the locks, both the new and old. We were able to see ships going through both, which was lucky timing. While the new locks were nice I enjoyed the old locks so much better. You get to be very close to the ships and even talk to the people on the ships going through the lock. It was surreal.The tour guide said that the Canal officials are trying to close the old locks to visitors and just have people visit the new ones. They are still allowing cruise tour operators to go to the old locks but he thinks that within a few years that may not be the case.I don't know if that is true or not, but I for one was very glad to get the opportunity to witness them from land.

What your guide told you is accurate for the most part... What has happened is the visitor's center at Gatun Locks is no longer open on a daily basis for visitors to enter the Locks to view the operation. As long as manpower is available the are still opening it for visits when there is a cruise ship calling at Colon. I don't know if you are able to visit Gatun Locks on your own at the time when it is open on your own or whether you need to be on an organized excursion.

I feel sure the visitor's center at Miraflores Locks on the Pacific side will remain open for anyone who wishes to experience the "old" locks. They have invested in the infrastructure for displays, museum, A/V presentations, a restaurant and previously used equipment .

Glad you enjoyed.

What your guide told you is accurate for the most part... What has happened is the visitor's center at Gatun Locks is no longer open on a daily basis for visitors to enter the Locks to view the operation. As long as manpower is available the are still opening it for visits when there is a cruise ship calling at Colon. I don't know if you are able to visit Gatun Locks on your own at the time when it is open on your own or whether you need to be on an organized excursion.

I feel sure the visitor's center at Miraflores Locks on the Pacific side will remain open for anyone who wishes to experience the "old" locks. They have invested in the infrastructure for displays, museum, A/V presentations, a restaurant and previously used equipment .

Glad you enjoyed.

When we transited the canal in 2013 we had a stop in Colon and I am glad we did as we went to the visitor center at Gatun Locks. It was amazing to look up the hill at a container ship that had already been raised up (you can just see it in this picture). It really brought into focus what the locks do.

10893203775_d27152a1d5_c.jpg