Minors in their own cabin rules?

Kevin

Exactly. The OPs question was the equivalent of asking about proscribed and enforced polices (such as medical equipment and Visas as listed as examples above). And for sure the need for starting with the primary source was confirmed by the response in post #13 which speculated that the previous responses to the OP could still be wrong despite the overwhelming evidence cited in the interim posts. But I'm sure this will sway none of those who have convinced themselves that even the most casual post on an anonymous message board community is always 100% accurate.

Thank you for this. I'm the type who scours the website for the cruise line we're going on even when I'm repeating a ship...there may be changes from the last time we've cruise as we often skip a year or more between vacations, especially cruises. and when the cruise lines used to send out a pre-cruise brochure, both hubby and I would read the whole thing...hubby would even highlight some passages.

Never had any trouble even when our children were 11 and 14. But, we are not helicopter parents at all, very free range. We had a suite and put the kids in an inside. Same deck, but not super close. Had one incident on the first cruise with them. They had met a few other teenagers and ours were the only ones with their own cabin.

The last night I did a good check of their room to make sure they did not leave any clothes behind and found a few bottles of rum. They swore that they belonged to others and were just storing them. I made it clear that they better be gone in a few hours. My youngest wound up drinking a bunch of it. He threw up in the passageway and had a horrific hangover the next morning. I off course kept speaking very loudly and shaking him by the shoulder. He was miserable. But he doesn't drink at all now and he is 39, so there is that.

the scary time is when they go off to college. My daughter lived in the freshmen dorm last year, but students could usually find out where the parties featuring booze are. She knew. She also knew where the popular place for smoking pot was, but when she said she stayed away from there, I believe her as she did try it as a 9th grader (unfortunately she was friends with some 11th grade boys:rolleyes:), but told me it just isn't her thing. She's going to school around here this year but whatever alcohol she is using is for her cooking (I can tell).

My sister-in-law was told someone must be 21 years old in the cabin. This was on a Princess cruise in 2014. Things may have changed since then??

Tony

Depends what country you are in and what laws apply to that country. I did my first cruise in 2002 and was only 20 years old at the time and was able to book the cruise on my own and sail on my own. The reason is because it is discrimination in Australia if anyone over 18 is not treated like an adult and anyone over 18 has the rights to travel independently, drink alcohol, sign contracts and do everything any other adult has the right to do.

I think America is one of the very few countries in the world where people need to be over 21.

21 is the minimum age if sailing by themselves.

If the parents (or legal guardian) are nearby, 16 is the minimum age.

Correct. The last time I took my kids, we had two 18 year olds in one cabin, and a 21 year old and 15 year old in another cabin. I was able to book it that way with no problem.

BTW, an 18 year old is not a minor, but an adult. :eek:

We had a suite and put the kids in an inside... Had one incident on the first cruise with them. They had met a few other teenagers and ours were the only ones with their own cabin.

The last night I did a good check of their room to make sure they did not leave any clothes behind and found a few bottles of rum. They swore that they belonged to others and were just storing them. I made it clear that they better be gone in a few hours. My youngest wound up drinking a bunch of it. He threw up in the passageway and had a horrific hangover the next morning.

This is the first time I've heard of leaving minors in posesson of alcohol (that results in a stinking mess in a public area the crew has to clean up), 'spun' as good parenting.