Minors in their own cabin rules?

Kevin

What are the rules for minors in their own cabins? I know I can book me in one cabin and my wife in another but if I can put the kids both in their own cabin by calling to book I will do that instead of booking online.

If it matters the kids would be 18 and 15 at sailing.

What are the rules for minors in their own cabins? I know I can book me in one cabin and my wife in another but if I can put the kids both in their own cabin by calling to book I will do that instead of booking online.

Did you ask Princess?

Definitely call as it will make booking easier. The bookings need to be linked and at least one kid needs to be 16 or older in the other cabin, so you're good to go.

Nope. I asked here.

Quite a lost art, that of actually acquiring information from the primary source. Which you would have found on the Princess website faster than the first response here:

http://www.princess.com/legal/passage_contract/pcl.html (section 5, para 1, emphasis mine)

The minimum Guest age is 6 months on Alaska, Canada/New England, Caribbean, Europe, Mexico, Trans-canal and Australia/New Zealand cruises, and 12 months on all other cruises, including transatlantic and transpacific itineraries. Guests under the age of 21 years must travel in a stateroom with a Guest 21 years or older who shall assume responsibility for their care during the cruise. For families or groups booking multiple staterooms, the minimum age for at least one person in each stateroom is 16 years of age, provided they are traveling with a parent or legal guardian. We are unable to accept group reservations for student or youth groups that do not conform to our minimum age requirements. Each Guest agrees and warrants that he/she will supervise any Guest in his/her care at all times to ensure all policies, along with all other rules of the Carrier and ship, are strictly adhered to by all Guests under their supervision

Book as you suggest. Wife and husband in separate cabins. If the cabins share the same room stewart and your children are appropriately courteous, you can chat with the Stewart about your non official plan and sleep where you please. Once did this myself and told the Stewart to let me know instantly if it created an inconvenience.

Quite a lost art, that of actually acquiring information from the primary source. Which you would have found on the Princess website faster than the first response here:

http://www.princess.com/legal/passage_contract/pcl.html (section 5, para 1, emphasis mine)

amazing how one could actually find lots of info about a cruise line, including its rules, number of formal nights/cruise, etc., by looking at the line's web site.

amazing how one could actually find lots of info about a cruise line' date=' including its rules, number of formal nights/cruise, etc., by looking at the line's web site.[/quote']

At the moment I only have my phone available as a browsing device. It's amazing how much more difficult it is to find out the information using the mobile view.

I love being judged though. Makes me feel important.

At the moment I only have my phone available as a browsing device. It's amazing how much more difficult it is to find out the information using the mobile view.

I just got out my phone, opened the google browser, and typed in Princess cruises minors" and up came the FAQs, including the paragraph that fisheywood posted. and I don't have a fancy dance i-phone. On my hubby's phone that he had just purchased (for emergency reasons), he can't really go on the 'net, so if he needs some info at our work site (when I'm not there), I told him to send me a message and I'll look it up for him. So if you have a similar situation (which I doubt as you can use cruise critic which is harder for me than using google), that's one thing. But seriously, it's best to go to the horse's mouth when there's a fast and hard rule you'll wanting.

I just got out my phone' date=' opened the google browser, and typed in Princess cruises minors" and up came the FAQs, including the paragraph that fisheywood posted. and I don't have a fancy dance i-phone. On my hubby's phone that he had just purchased (for emergency reasons), he can't really go on the 'net, so if he needs some info at our work site (when I'm not there), I told him to send me a message and I'll look it up for him. So if you have a similar situation (which I doubt as you can use cruise critic which is harder for me than using google), that's one thing. But seriously, it's best to go to the horse's mouth when there's a fast and hard rule you'll wanting.[/quote']

Wow. Your so much better at searching than I. I'm impressed.

I googled "princess+cruise+minor+in+separate" and did not find the answer.

Edited by Kevin

My sister-in-law was told someone must be 21 years old in the cabin. This was on a Princess cruise in 2014. Things may have changed since then??

Tony

Edited by Lucky TGO

My sister-in-law was told someone must be 21 years old in the cabin. This was on a Princess cruise in 2014. Things may have changed since then??

Tony

21 is the minimum age if sailing by themselves.

If the parents (or legal guardian) are nearby, 16 is the minimum age.

If asking a question about cruising on this thread or any other on cruise critic, is breaking rules or is wasting everyone's time here, then what is the purpose of CC?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Exactly.

There are some questions that should go direct to the cruise line such as type of oxygen someone can bring on or where to reserve or being a citizen of another country and needing a specific visa.

For general questions like this, this is what the board is for.

If asking a question about cruising on this thread or any other on cruise critic, is breaking rules or is wasting everyone's time here, then what is the purpose of CC?

Exactly.

There are some questions that should go direct to the cruise line such as type of oxygen someone can bring on or where to reserve or being a citizen of another country and needing a specific visa.

For general questions like this, this is what the board is for.

I agree with both of you. The judgemental responses often took longer to type than a helpful and informative one. ;)

Don't let it bother you. Just shake your head and then go book your cabins and enjoy your cruise. :)

We have sailed with our kids in their own cabin ever since they became teenagers. We always inform the cabin steward and make sure that they know that any issues should be directed to us, and will be corrected immediately. At first we just had the kids in a balcony cabin next to us (and we connected the balconies) but recently we have been putting them in an inside across the hall. We have never had an issue.

However, even though our elder child is 16, we like to have the booking as one adult in each cabin. This is because we can get the shareholder cruise credit twice (once for each cabin) by owning 200 shares of CCL in a joint account. Since DH and I are both Elite, it also means that we get two minibar setups.

When we board the ship, we go to Guest Services and ask for extra key cards for the cabins, then distribute so everyone can access the correct room (and so the adults have cards for both cabins). Never a problem.

Edited by helenb

In this case, the OP was asking about if there was a specific rule, which there is and it's listed on the Princess website (so there's not even a need to call the CSRs, who may just pull their answer out of their rear or put the caller on hold when they look for someone who may know the answer).

this is not the case about a perception (eg. does it seem that most passengers follow the dress code for formal nights?). a major difference.

But I haven't seen any recommendation that the OP try to get the two cabins in the same area and mark the booking "no upgrade requested."

Actually, I would trust the advice of many CC posters, against the advice of some of the reps you get on the phone at Princess. Most have never sailed, and some have little idea of the correct answers.

Ding, Ding, Ding your the winner with this answer. Johnny, tell her what she won:D.

My wife and I have never cruised with Princess however having questions she called a rep. and got an answer. I however came on here and asked the same question and got a totally different response then the rep. She said I believe the rep over what other people are saying. I told her that the people on CC have sailed with Princess this is just not their opinion. That night I came home from work and she says " I called Princess back and asked the same question, this rep was saying the same thing you said the people on CC was saying, so i'm not sure what to believe?"

I have read it on CC so many times on the Princess boards "Call today and get one answer, then call back tomorrow and you will get a different answer":eek:

So inclusion, if someone would rather come on here to ask the question then go on the Princess web site or call a rep then so be it. Why should he/she get harassed because they did so? Either respond with helpful answers or don't respond at all IMHO. Now with this said if someone on here is being stupid by all means you have the right to roast him/her:D.

In this case' date=' the OP was asking about if there was a specific rule, which there is and it's listed on the Princess website (so there's not even a need to call the CSRs, who may just pull their answer out of their rear or put the caller on hold when they look for someone who may know the answer).

this is not the case about a perception (eg. does it seem that most passengers follow the dress code for formal nights?). a major difference.

[/quote']

Exactly. The OPs question was the equivalent of asking about proscribed and enforced polices (such as medical equipment and Visas as listed as examples above). And for sure the need for starting with the primary source was confirmed by the response in post #13 which speculated that the previous responses to the OP could still be wrong despite the overwhelming evidence cited in the interim posts. But I'm sure this will sway none of those who have convinced themselves that even the most casual post on an anonymous message board community is always 100% accurate.

Never had any trouble even when our children were 11 and 14. But, we are not helicopter parents at all, very free range. We had a suite and put the kids in an inside. Same deck, but not super close. Had one incident on the first cruise with them. They had met a few other teenagers and ours were the only ones with their own cabin.

The last night I did a good check of their room to make sure they did not leave any clothes behind and found a few bottles of rum. They swore that they belonged to others and were just storing them. I made it clear that they better be gone in a few hours. My youngest wound up drinking a bunch of it. He threw up in the passageway and had a horrific hangover the next morning. I off course kept speaking very loudly and shaking him by the shoulder. He was miserable. But he doesn't drink at all now and he is 39, so there is that.