Misbehavior in Steakhouse

A&Jfamily

There was a pretty heated thread about 6 months back discussing the new $10 kids menu in the Steakhouse. A lot of people indicated that they would no longer enjoy a meal there. Our boys are now 18 and 12 (he will be 13 in March) and we have decided that on the last night of the cruise we will all enjoy the Steakhouse. I for one am happy to see this menu because we are working on broadening his palette, but at 12, he cannot handle the sheer volume of food from the steakhouse and will enjoy the smaller 4 oz filet, while still being able to sample from the rest of us.

Go ahead and flame me if you like for taking my almost teen - but I am confident he is mature enough. What I really want to know if anyone has been and can report bad behavior of kids, in light of this new menu. I have seen first hand the poor behavior of adults in what "should" be a quiet, refined and relaxed atmosphere.

There was a pretty heated thread about 6 months back discussing the new $10 kids menu in the Steakhouse. A lot of people indicated that they would no longer enjoy a meal there. Our boys are now 18 and 12 (he will be 13 in March) and we have decided that on the last night of the cruise we will all enjoy the Steakhouse. I for one am happy to see this menu because we are working on broadening his palette, but at 12, he cannot handle the sheer volume of food from the steakhouse and will enjoy the smaller 4 oz filet, while still being able to sample from the rest of us.

Go ahead and flame me if you like for taking my almost teen - but I am confident he is mature enough. What I really want to know if anyone has been and can report bad behavior of kids, in light of this new menu. I have seen first hand the poor behavior of adults in what "should" be a quiet, refined and relaxed atmosphere.

On our most recent cruise aboard the Vista we went to the steakhouse on the last evening. There was a family there with a boy about the same age. He behaved fairly well with a small exception where the father took him out for a breath of fresh air for a minute or two and returned. A we were leaving I made a point of of walking over and complementing him on his behavior. No flaming here.

I think your kids will be fine and it absolutely depends on the maturity level of the kids and how the parents have raised them. MY DS is 14 and has been going to restaurants (not fast food) since about 18 months old. He knows the correct utensils to use, how to properly cut meat, where to put his cloth napkin and every other appropriate action for an upscale type eating establishment.

It all depends....

I took my (then) 6 year old to the Steakhouse on the Liberty last year. There was not kids menu so I paid the adult price. We area big "foodie" family, so he has been to many nice restaurants in many different places. He chose all of his own items from the menu and even tried a couple of things he had never had. He was polite and well behaved. The staff was very friendly to him. All in all, he had a great experience. I am not sure why people think the steakhouse should be for adults only. Take your kids. Enjoy the meal. Forget what others say. It is your cruise and your extra dime. :)

I think much of the concern was over young children (maybe the 9 and under crowd).

You know your own kid and what they will enjoy / can handle in terms of an extended meal.

When cruising with my brother and his family this summer (boys 8, 9 and girl 13 turning 14), I had debated on going to the steakhouse as we (my parents and I) have enjoyed it in the past and know that my brother's family likes good beef. After their behaviour at dinner, I was glad that I decided on the "wait and see" approach before booking it or even talking about it. They are good kids, fairly well behaved - I just couldn't see them enjoying the Steakhouse more than the MDR. The more formal setting, the full menu (I doubt they would have eaten any of the starters, salads or soups), and the length of the meal would not have left them happy campers.

You know your family, you know your kids. If you're all going to enjoy it - don't think twice, just do it. You'll never again get the opportunity to live that exact moment.

Too many posters on this board like to make up rules that don't exist (no kids in the steakhouse) and then flout rules that do (no smuggling alcohol, restricted smoking, etc.). Ignore them.

Edited by meatloafsfan

It has been my experience, overall, on a cruise that it is the adults that misbehave more than the children. And, additionally, the children misbehaving is a direct result of the parents' being more concerned with drinking adult beverages and having 'me' time than in watching their children.

You know your kids. As long as you think they will behave enjoy your dinner as they grow up way too fast.

I think much of the concern was over young children (maybe the 9 and under crowd).

You know your own kid and what they will enjoy / can handle in terms of an extended meal.

When cruising with my brother and his family this summer (boys 8, 9 and girl 13 turning 14), I had debated on going to the steakhouse as we (my parents and I) have enjoyed it in the past and know that my brother's family likes good beef. After their behaviour at dinner, I was glad that I decided on the "wait and see" approach before booking it or even talking about it. They are good kids, fairly well behaved - I just couldn't see them enjoying the Steakhouse more than the MDR. The more formal setting, the full menu (I doubt they would have eaten any of the starters, salads or soups), and the length of the meal would not have left them happy campers.

You know your family, you know your kids. If you're all going to enjoy it - don't think twice, just do it. You'll never again get the opportunity to live that exact moment.

Too many posters on this board like to make up rules that don't exist (no kids in the steakhouse) and then flout rules that do (no smuggling alcohol, restricted smoking, etc.). Ignore them.

You see that's what the problem is.. Some parents do know their kids and just don't care regardless of how they will act. They just yell , shut up .

Guess I came in on the end of this, lol!!! My son is 13(will be 14 on next cruise)and we are absolutely taking him with us to the Steakhouse!!! I have not had an issue with his behavior at a restaurant since he was about 2 and certainly no problem at this age!!! I also do not believe that the Steakhouse is "Adult only"!?!?!?

Seems like people are more concerned with other people's business than their own:)

Guess I came in on the end of this, lol!!! My son is 13(will be 14 on next cruise)and we are absolutely taking him with us to the Steakhouse!!! I have not had an issue with his behavior at a restaurant since he was about 2 and certainly no problem at this age!!! I also do not believe that the Steakhouse is "Adult only"!?!?!?

Seems like people are more concerned with other people's business than their own:)

Yeah, it's NEVER been adult only on Carnival.

The title of the OP was misbehavior in the Steakhouse, not kids in the steakhouse. My one negative time in the steakhouse was not because of children but a group of adults that I am sure had ever been to anything upscale. They were the louds ones, cursing and always calling the wait staff over to the table over stupid things. Never have had a problem with a family in there. Wish some adults were as well behaved as the children.

I'm one of those that objects to kids in the steakhouse - small kids. Not a 12 year old.

I reserved the steakhouse for our cruise this Summer specifically for my son who will be 14 and my husband, who both love a good steak. I'm not the least bit concerned about his behavior at that age. They are going to love the surprise!

You see that's what the problem is.. Some parents do know their kids and just don't care regardless of how they will act. They just yell , shut up .

Good point, BoDidly. Sometimes the parents are just as annoying as the young kids which helps explain where those kids learn it from, or rather why they don't learn appropriate manners for social situations.

I'm one of those that objects to kids in the steakhouse - small kids. Not a 12 year old.

I reserved the steakhouse for our cruise this Summer specifically for my son who will be 14 and my husband, who both love a good steak. I'm not the least bit concerned about his behavior at that age. They are going to love the surprise!

There are plenty of young kids who are well behaved. Some are probably as mature and well behaved as you're 14 year old. Heck, some may even be more. Not saying your son is a bad kid, just that you can't arbitrarily put a number on maturity/behavior for anyone. I've seen 8 year old's act better than 20 year old's.

I think your 12 year old will be fine. Maybe bored, but surely at that age he can find some way to stay entertained without being unruly. I am fairly sure my (almost) 6 year old could handle it if need be. But I know she would be bored and she is not really at the age where she can entertain herself quietly. She might talk a little louder than she should (not shouting but also not using a quiet restaurant whisper) and she might eat the butter, but she would not run around, pull off table cloths or do whatever else people think that these horrible kids may do. I think MOST people (although there are exceptions) really have an issue with toddlers or small children that are going to throw tantrums. So I would imagine you are safe.

There are plenty of young kids who are well behaved. Some are probably as mature and well behaved as you're 14 year old. Heck, some may even be more. Not saying your son is a bad kid, just that you can't arbitrarily put a number on maturity/behavior for anyone. I've seen 8 year old's act better than 20 year old's.

I don't consider small children doing age appropriate things as bad behavior. Crying, impatience in having to sit through a long meal, etc. Small children are not bad for doing those things. Or rude. I just don't want to hear it in the Steakhouse or all the things us parents do to keep them content.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

In the main dining room without exception is at least one family with children out of control/crying/running around/screaming/ etc with parental responses from attentive to absent so apprehension about same behavior occurring in the SteakHouse is reasonable.

I think that part of your post says a lot....You apparently have a well behaved child (not that you are biased :rolleyes:) but other 6 year olds aren't....Just because "its your cruise" doesn't mean you should negatively impact other peoples vacations in a negative way

I totally agree. And this (or that) is the kind of mentality that drives me nuts. It is your vacation but it's also mine and everyone else who paid to be onboard. And I just think parents ought to be mindful and not so entitled. They paid. We paid too. Kids do what they do. I think it's unfair to expect them to act like adults in certain settings. Some kids can handle it and that's fine. But if you have to play with and appease with cooing and baby talk, or keep taking them in and out, then I no more want to hear that in the background than them crying or whatever else.

I had a woman sit behind my mom and I went we went to see a choral performance last summer. All hymnal and anthem/classical music. You actually have to enjoy that genre to go. Why this chick who sat a row in front of us decided to bring her twin toddlers who commenced to talking out and fiddling with snacks and what not the whole time is still beyond me. They weren't being bad. They were doing what kids that age do. But the whole thing was extremely annoying. She had the nerve to comment that she brought her ticket just like everyone else. The couple in the same row stood on the side after intermission just to get away from her. Unreal.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I took my (then) 6 year old to the Steakhouse on the Liberty last year. There was not kids menu so I paid the adult price. We area big "foodie" family, so he has been to many nice restaurants in many different places. He chose all of his own items from the menu and even tried a couple of things he had never had. He was polite and well behaved. The staff was very friendly to him. All in all, he had a great experience. I am not sure why people think the steakhouse should be for adults only. Take your kids. Enjoy the meal. Forget what others say. It is your cruise and your extra dime. :)

I think that part of your post says a lot....You apparently have a well behaved child (not that you are biased :rolleyes:) but other 6 year olds aren't....Just because "its your cruise" doesn't mean you should negatively impact other peoples vacations in a negative way

Edited by First and Ten

I'm happy your 6 year old was well behaved at dinner. I don't agree with your last statement which indicates that as long as you are happy that you don't care about your fellow cruisers- not a becoming attitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums