Ovation of the Seas arriving in Sydney now

It is envisaged that with the new check in system (next generation) that the Ovation is using, "mobile" check in agents (and lots of them), on line check in at home and no issuing of seapass cards in the terminal ( they will be in your stateroom) and nominated check in times there will be virtually no queues so the need for priority lines is eliminated.

Once you drop your luggage off there will be check in agents standing in the forecourt of the terminal with handheld tablets and scanners etc and once they do a quick check of your setsail and a "verbal" health questionaire, your setsail is stamped and you are on your way onto the ship. The CIAs (check in agents..I just thought of that :D .. might use it) will also be spread throughout the terminal and you can be "processed" anywhere. Setsails can be reprinted photos retaken etc and if need be the old level two check in area is set up to handle any "problem" documents .

Obviously this system is new to us in Sydney but once any little wrinkles are ironed out and, judging by the first embark last Thursday, it will be a smooth, hassle free, speedy check in for everybody. I think many people do resist change but, given a chance, this new system will have them wondering how they could ever check in any other way, the old way will seem archaic.

Still have to fill in those damn Aust. Govt. Departure cards though which I see in the news they are planning to do away with in the next couple of years.

Yes The "CIAs" will be outside the terminal in the covered area in front of the terminal entrance, as well as inside the terminal and also on level three (customs area) just in case someone "sneaks "through and also outside on level three where taxis will now be allowed to drop off. As I have said before, with the speed of the check in and the large number of CIAs operating even if "some" people ignore their appointed check in time there should not be any queues.

Thursday was the first time we have used the Next Gen system and there obviously will be "situations" that arise but there is a plan B for most scenarios but until they happen we should just enjoy the new experience and not get too concerned with the what ifs.(they may never happen):D

Thanks for some more info on the new check in system.:)

Could you confirm though that after check in with a CIA whether it be outside or inside the terminal, do you then just go straight to customs or do you still wait in the seating area where they had the coloured card system if the ship isn't ready to board passengers yet?

The reason I'm asking is because it was in this area last cruise earlier this year that the staff didn't seem to understand priority boarding, so the whole concept broke down at that stage. Two staff members were quite abrupt in their attitude despite my being very polite. I recall we discussed it on here & you advised that the situation was handled incorrectly by the staff. Another member on here also had the same problem around that time.

I just want what Royal give us for staying loyal to them as Diamond members, nothing more, nothing less. But I do resent being put in the uncomfortable position of having to ask for something that should be automatically sorted at check in & being treated like you are demanding special favours when you are only asking for what is promised.:rolleyes:

Thanks - really appreciate it if you can clarify it for me, so that this cruise start will be better than the last. :)

gbenjo ... does one have to pre-upload a photo for the check-in process or can you still have your photo taken by one of the CIA's?

The CIAs can take your photo if you are not able to upload one yourself at home .... no problem

Thanks for some more info on the new check in system.:)

Could you confirm though that after check in with a CIA whether it be outside or inside the terminal, do you then just go straight to customs or do you still wait in the seating area where they had the coloured card system if the ship isn't ready to board passengers yet?

The reason I'm asking is because it was in this area last cruise earlier this year that the staff didn't seem to understand priority boarding, so the whole concept broke down at that stage. Two staff members were quite abrupt in their attitude despite my being very polite. I recall we discussed it on here & you advised that the situation was handled incorrectly by the staff. Another member on here also had the same problem around that time.

I just want what Royal give us for staying loyal to them as Diamond members, nothing more, nothing less. But I do resent being put in the uncomfortable position of having to ask for something that should be automatically sorted at check in & being treated like you are demanding special favours when you are only asking for what is promised.:rolleyes:

Thanks - really appreciate it if you can clarify it for me, so that this cruise start will be better than the last. :)

Once you check in outside or inside ( just realized if the CIAs are working outside they will be "undercover " agents :D ) you will head straight to Customs and providing they have started embarking the will be no waiting L believe we now have a "priority" line into Customs but don't hold me to that but I will check tomorrow.

Once you check in outside or inside ( just realized if the CIAs are working outside they will be "undercover " agents :D ) you will head straight to Customs and providing they have started embarking the will be no waiting L believe we now have a "priority" line into Customs but don't hold me to that but I will check tomorrow.

Thanks Graham,:D

Thanks! You are the best. :)

So regards the CIA's, does that mean those working inside are 'under deep cover'???? :D No name badges on those inside CIA's, anonymity is essential!

So if you check in outside and then go inside, if you check in inside do you then go outside?

Now my head hurts.

So if you check in outside and then go inside, if you check in inside do you then go outside?

Now my head hurts.

Actually...... Yes you can........Once we have green stamped your set sail ( inside or outside or anywhere else for that matter) You are free to go wherever you like and then return and board whenever you like :rolleyes::D BUT..... once you go through Customs and board the ship you cannot come off again......unless of course you are Brisbane 41 / Sutho/ Karate Man :eek::eek:

Actually...... Yes you can........Once we have green stamped your set sail ( inside or outside or anywhere else for that matter) You are free to go wherever you like and then return and board whenever you like :rolleyes::D BUT..... once you go through Customs and board the ship you cannot come off again......unless of course you are Brisbane 41 / Sutho/ Karate Man :eek::eek:

Wow, I didn't realise that people could check in & then come back whenever to board. Hopefully they come back at staggered times, otherwise some big queues at customs if they all decide to site see around Sydney until the last minute! :eek:

I want to get on the ship asap & stay there - best time to explore whilst the ship is half empty & I don't feel relaxed until I'm actually on board.

Regards the new photo thing - is that something that comes up during online check in? I'm still not clear about the change as never heard about it prior to reading it on here.

Wow, they must know the right people.:eek:

Regards the new photo thing - is that something that comes up during online check in? I'm still not clear about the change as never heard about it prior to reading it on here.

Yes, when you are doing the online check in it will ask for a photo to upload.

Is that the same one you want me to give the " Spethial" treatment to :rolleyes:

Nope. Got about a hundred of 'me it seems.

Sorry I didn't catch you last week, but on Sunday there was no way I could walk that far.

Wow, I didn't realise that people could check in & then come back whenever to board. Hopefully they come back at staggered times, otherwise some big queues at customs if they all decide to site see around Sydney until the last minute! :eek:

I want to get on the ship asap & stay there - best time to explore whilst the ship is half empty & I don't feel relaxed until I'm actually on board.

Sadly the ABF is the one thing we have no control over and play by their own rules so we are at their mercy as to how fast or slow passengers are

processed.:mad:

Dont be too concerned about the photo, great if you can download one but it is a quick and simple process to take at the pier if needed.