Bug spray for Cape Horn (Santiago to Buenos Aires) cruise?

cbny

We will be heading down to Chile for a cruise around Cape Horn very soon, and I am wondering if we need to pack bug spray. If you happen to know, please post a quick reply. Thanks in advance for your help.

I was in Buenos Aires last Feb. It was hot but I noticed no mosquitoes. We walked in the parks so they had their chance. Ushuaia and Punta Arenas were cool and there were no mosquitoes. In Patagonia there were none. We were in Santiago and Valparaiso in mid March and there were none there either.

It may be a bit warmer when you go so I would ask on the Trip Advisor boards to be sure.

Our experience in B.A. was in February 2010 and 2013, so the situation may differ now, with the recent addition of Zika (and perhaps Chikungunya?) to the list of concerns. In 2010, we noticed signs warning about mosquito-borne dengue fever posted in the downtown area. I do not remember encountering biting insects in the city. However, one afternoon we walked a few hundred metres east from downtown into the Costanera Sur Ecological Reserve (marshland) and found that mosquitoes were abundant and voracious there. We had repellent with DEET, but as I recall, it was only partly effective in the marsh.

John

As part of our travel kit we carry a 1 oz liquid DEET (100%) spray. It's tiny and we dilute it with water or sun screen when we apply. I goes a long way - we had the same bottle for 5 years while cruising. Amazon carries it as "Repel 100", but similar product can be found at Big Box sports store like Dicks.