Charging Station... allowed?

Kate-AHF

We were on the Eurodam a week ago and found that some rooms had the card slot inside the room and some didn't. We were in a Veranda room near the aft of the 5th deck and we didn't have the slot. Further forward toward midship the same kinds of cabin did have them (we snooped as we walked by during room cleaning).

So, everybody is right - the Eurodam does and doesn't have the slots!

Best regards,

Priscilla

LOL----and how often do we have a thread where everyone is right? This has to be a first!:D

Key in the light slot? What are you referring to? Haven't been on HAL in years so not familiar with this.

On the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam ( and most likely, the Koningsdam) there is a slot just inside the door for your room card. The lights in the cabin will not work unless the room card or some other type of card is in the slot. It was intended as a means to ensure the lights were turned off when you left the cabin. However some clever people determined that any old card would work so that defeated the purpose of the key slot and lights can be left on.

Newer ships have this, as do some hotels.

16k6q83.jpg

Edited by Boytjie

• 5 weeks later...
On the K in December, I turned off all the lights and left a hotel card in the slot because I wanted the air condition to remain on while I was away. Does anyone know if the AC would turn off if the card is not in place or does it just control the lights?

Typically, these systems only dial back the thermostat by a few degrees, they don't shut it off completely.

On the K in December, I turned off all the lights and left a hotel card in the slot because I wanted the air condition to remain on while I was away. Does anyone know if the AC would turn off if the card is not in place or does it just control the lights?

Leaving card out has no impact on hvac or outlets. TV stil works as well, it is only for lighting. And some lights iirc work without it still (i.e.reading lights above bed).

I'm confused....so unprotected are fine but no surge protectors? Or the opposite?

Not sure what you mean. Surge protectors are not allowed. If this is what you mean by "unprotected", then "unprotected" is not fine. There are several ways that circuits are protected, over current (circuit breaker), over voltage, and surge protection. Only surge protection is not allowed.

We were just on the recently dry-docked and renovated Oosterdam. At the desk in our veranda cabin, next to the electrical outlets, there were 2 USB plugs for charging my devices. Also, next to the bed light switches there is one USB charging port on each side of the bed. Pretty neat, and we didn't need to use any charging adapters, we just plugged in with a USB to USB cable.