Auckland Day Trip to Waitomo Caves and Rotorua

We have 3 full days in Auckland next February before our cruise, and are thinking of joining an organized day trip to Waitomo Caves and Rotorua. Preliminary research indicates it will be a long day tour with lots of travel. Has anybody done a tour like this before? Any recommendation and cost would be appreciated.

We have 3 full days in Auckland next February before our cruise, and are thinking of joining an organized day trip to Waitomo Caves and Rotorua. Preliminary research indicates it will be a long day tour with lots of travel. Has anybody done a tour like this before? Any recommendation and cost would be appreciated.

I feel that a day trip from Auckland to both Waitomo Caves and Rotorua would be very rushed. As you say it would be a long day. A few times we have hired a car from Tauranga and driven to Rotorua for the day. You need at least a few hours there.

If you are comfortable driving in NZ, you could hire a car and do a "loop" trip staying a night in Rotorua where there is plenty of accommodation. Incidentally, the roads are good and the traffic is minimal.

Auckland to Waitomo - at least 2.5 hours drive.

Waitomo to Rotorua - around 2 hours drive.

Rotorua to Auckland - at least 3 hours drive.

That 7.5 hours of travel without adding in sightseeing, comfort stops and meals.

Allow at least an hour at Waitomo Caves (45 minute tour).

That really doesn't leave much time for sightseeing in Rotorua which really needs a day by itself.

I'd also recommend staying a night in Rotorua. Do Waitomo first at your leisure, then drive over to Rotorua. Enjoy an evening stroll around the Government Gardens, lakefront and/or Kuirau Park (which has quite a bit of thermal activity and is free to visit) in Rotorua, then visit the main Rotorua sights before driving back to Auckland.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Some firsthand advice - today we drove from Napier (while it's not Auckland it's probably a similar distance) to close to Te Kuiti near Waitomo and then onto Rotorua - it's a long drive and I think a day trip from Auckland while trying to actually enjoy sightseeing in two locations would not be practical - so plan on a two day adventure and stay in Rotorua then enjoy a day sightseeing and head back to Auckland

Edited by Bodogbodog

I agree with others that one day would be too rushed. I went to Waitomo in 1996 so I don't know what it is like now but we did caving and it was one of the best things I have every done. Rotorua was really interesting and would be a shame to rush. If you can deal with the driving in NZ I would stay a night in Rotorua to really get to see both places properly. NZ really is beautiful so I wouldn't be rushing if I didn't have to.

We did the tour from Auckland in a day (very loooong day, lots of time on the bus). It was a good tour but as others have said you should make it a two day tour if possible. We don't enjoy big cities all that much, so didn't really enjoy Auckland. We should have spent more time in Rotorua, but that's our personal preference. YMMV.