Thinking About Anthem for Feb 2018 - thoughts?

garnet115

I have sailed mainly on NCL and have been on Breakaway several times. I am looking at cruises for Feb 2018 and am considering switching to Royal for a cruise on Anthem. While I would like the weather on a caribbean cruise in February, I would like to sail out of NY, if possible, just because it is easier and I don't have to worry about flights. Since we're growing a little tired of the same entertainment on Breakaway, I think the Anthem could be a nice change, but am a little nervous after the storm issues Anthem had last February. Anyone who has sailed on Anthem in winter months with thoughts about it? Also, anyone with a comparison to Breakaway would be helpful, too. I will be sailing with just my teenage dd. Thanks in advance for your help!

I've done Quantum out of NYC, as well as Breakaway.

Be prepared for a possible rough ride sailing out of NYC into the North Atlantic in the middle of winter. Not guaranteed, but possible.

More to do on Quantum indoors that first sea day where it will be very chilly if you want to be outdoors. Then again it might be 70 degrees and warm enough. Or 30 degrees.

The sail away is better from where NCL leaves I think. You get to see half of Manhattan, and the Statue of Liberty as you pass by. I live northeast of NYC, and the port of NCL is almost 45-60 minutes closer for me than RCI's in NJ, even though they are probably only 10 miles apart as the turkey flies.

If you have never sailed a Quantum class ship, go for it, especially with kids.

The potential rough seas are there whether you are on a RCI or NCL ship.

I've done Quantum out of NYC, as well as Breakaway.

Be prepared for a possible rough ride sailing out of NYC into the North Atlantic in the middle of winter. Not guaranteed, but possible.

More to do on Quantum indoors that first sea day where it will be very chilly if you want to be outdoors. Then again it might be 70 degrees and warm enough. Or 30 degrees.

The sail away is better from where NCL leaves I think. You get to see half of Manhattan, and the Statue of Liberty as you pass by. I live northeast of NYC, and the port of NCL is almost 45-60 minutes closer for me than RCI's in NJ, even though they are probably only 10 miles apart as the turkey flies.

If you have never sailed a Quantum class ship, go for it, especially with kids.

The potential rough seas are there whether you are on a RCI or NCL ship.

Thanks for the response. I live in NYC, so don't care so much about the skyline/statue view for sailaway. The NCL terminal is closer for us than Bayonne, but not enough to matter. We've sailed on Breakaway in Feb, so I guess I know what to expect, just a little jittery about Anthem after the storm debacle earlier this year. I like that Anthem has 2 full sea days in both directions for the FL/Bahamas itinerary, although 2 of those days could be unusable. I think we would like the change of ship/activities. We love Breakaway, but I can only see Rock of Ages so many times! What activities in particular do you enjoy that are unique to Anthem? How is the evening entertainment? On NCL's ships, we love Howl at the Moon - is there anything like that on Anthem?

The Anthem was designed to sail out of NYC, as two pools are indoors, as is the sports area.

From what I understand, they do close the outdoor areas somewhat frequently on the first and last day, but you only miss out on a couple of things (flowrider, rock wall).

I have sailed mainly on NCL and have been on Breakaway several times. I am looking at cruises for Feb 2018 and am considering switching to Royal for a cruise on Anthem. While I would like the weather on a caribbean cruise in February, I would like to sail out of NY, if possible, just because it is easier and I don't have to worry about flights. Since we're growing a little tired of the same entertainment on Breakaway, I think the Anthem could be a nice change, but am a little nervous after the storm issues Anthem had last February. Anyone who has sailed on Anthem in winter months with thoughts about it? Also, anyone with a comparison to Breakaway would be helpful, too. I will be sailing with just my teenage dd. Thanks in advance for your help!

We went north to NE/Canada on Anthem so I can't offer much help....

However, if you want some info, bedazzler is currently doing a live review, TAKE TWO!!

She was ON Anthem for the storm of Feb. 6th doing a live review...

Thanks for the response. I live in NYC, so don't care so much about the skyline/statue view for sailaway. The NCL terminal is closer for us than Bayonne, but not enough to matter. We've sailed on Breakaway in Feb, so I guess I know what to expect, just a little jittery about Anthem after the storm debacle earlier this year. I like that Anthem has 2 full sea days in both directions for the FL/Bahamas itinerary, although 2 of those days could be unusable. I think we would like the change of ship/activities. We love Breakaway, but I can only see Rock of Ages so many times! What activities in particular do you enjoy that are unique to Anthem? How is the evening entertainment? On NCL's ships, we love Howl at the Moon - is there anything like that on Anthem?

I've never been on Anthem, just Quantum, and I think the shows are different.

Mama Mia on Quantum is one of the 2 or 3 best shows on a cruise ship I have seen.

Having been on Breakaway and Quantum both, if I had to sail in winter in the North Atlantic down to the Caribbean, I would pick the Quantum class 9 out of 10 times. 1 out of 10 on Breakaway for a little variety :-)

Agree you can only see Rock of Ages so many times. I actually preferred the dancing show which i can't recall right now. Howl at the Moon was great too.

Anthem. Where to start. We LOVE LOVE this ship. More than Breakaway. Truly, there are many similarities. The cabins are similar. The narrower hallways with the doorways recessed and doors that open out vs. the older ships where doors opened in. Both have ample storage.

Major fail on Breakaway and win on Anthem: sizes of balconies. Yes, I know you can get a B6 or B1 large balcony on Breakaway (and have done so--and paid more for it than a regular balcony too). But MOST balconies on Anthem are twice the depth of the Breakaway tiny tiny balconies. Why did NCL do this. AND they have lounging chairs and a footstool on Anthem. This alone has caused us to book 10 nighters on Anthem and NOT Breakaway. I don't want to go hunt down a lounger in a public space; would rather be on my balcony.

Similar to Breakaway, reservations for shows are encouraged. But we never had a problem getting in to any of them or booking once onboard. On either ship.

Food similar, service similar.

I like that I can bring a bottle of wine on Anthem. I really dislike NCL's recent policy change to: NO outside beverages brought on board. That one really irks me. I don't care for all the changes the new guy has made. He has cheapened NCL's product IMO. Will I still cruise Escape when it comes to NYC in 2018? Probably. Just to see what it's like, although a friend just came back from it and said it's just a larger version of Breakaway.

Waterslides better on Breakaway--non-existent on Anthem. Ropes course on Breakaway is cool too. But Anthem has the flow rider and iFly. The Solarium and Two70. Breakaway doesn't have anything that compares to those 2 fabulous places on Anthem. Bumper cars and roller skating too.

Clearly we are fans of Anthem. We like trying different ships to find out what we love. Haven't found anything we really dislike yet. I think we're trying Allure next!

ENJOY!!

Edited by mizLORInj

I've done both. I enjoyed Breakaway very much (although admittedly it was only a 2 day cruise to nowhere). LOVED Howl at the Moon! Food was super. Cabin was very nice. Great ship.

Anthem. Ah, my Anthem. 6 cruises. 42 days total. 9 day transatlantic in November. 12 days South Caribbean in January. 3 days cruise to nowhere in March (we were supposed to go to Hallfax for 15 minutes to make it legal but got diverted due to a storm). There was plenty to do indoors when the weather outside was frightful. The crossing was VERY rough--think walking sideways! But we were fine and never felt unsafe. It is an amazing ship, with SO much to do. The solarium is beautiful, and 270 is, in my opinion, the best venue at sea. I love to sit there and just watch the wake. iFly is great fun, NorthStar is cool, and then you've got rock climbing, FlowRider, bumper cars, trapeze, and all the other fun stuff, plus entertainment (3 big shows plus the Music Hall plus all the miscellaneous stuff), and then once you get to the warmer weather you have the outdoor activities...

Gee, can you tell I'm an Anthem fan? :D

Go for it. You won't be sorry!

Thanks all for the detailed replies. I will probably book Anthem for Feb 2018. At this point, I will probably wait until early 2017 to book, but I appreciate all of the food for thought. We love the Breakaway, but need a change. I think I'm just a little nervous about trying something new when we've been happy with the NCL product. That said, I know Royal has a lot to offer, especially on a ship like Anthem. And in the end, we will be on an 8 day cruise, so how bad can it really be? :D Thanks for putting my mind at ease. I'm starting to get antsy without a cruise on the horizon (although I am hoping to sneak one in next August), so I am happy to get into planning mode, even if it is for a trip that is over 1 year out. Time to start obsessively reading reviews...