Puerto Madryn Punto Tombo excursion question

Cobra427SC

We are scheduled to do this excursion when we sail on the Crown from Buenos Aires in Feb. We did this back in '10 and I recall it was a pretty long walk, but level and not to difficult. Can anyone give me more info about how strenuous this will be? Princess rates it as "Moderate" but I'd sure like to have more info from anyone who has done this and recalls the degree of difficulty. thanx steve

We are scheduled to do this excursion when we sail on the Crown from Buenos Aires in Feb. We did this back in '10 and I recall it was a pretty long walk, but level and not to difficult. Can anyone give me more info about how strenuous this will be? Princess rates it as "Moderate" but I'd sure like to have more info from anyone who has done this and recalls the degree of difficulty. thanx steve

Did it in Jan 2016. The Penguins will be as close as the parking lot, so if that's your priority, you don't need to make the long trek. I did enjoy the ocean vistas w the critters & if you want a chance to see guanacos w the Penguins (near their burrows), you'll have to walk. To me the biggest issue were the crowds on the walkways (couldn't sit down due to risk of being trampled!) as well as the sun/heat. I took a "parasol" & bottled water. As for strenuous-level,I would say this: Its probably more than 2000 steps one-way on gravel (though well-maintained). Very little in terms of grade. At the time, I was 30lbs heavier than now & it was just the heat that got to me, not the walk.

We did this excursion privately, hired a van on the wharf. Because we were there before the ship's bus/es there were very few people around and we could walk to the beach viewing areas easily. It is hot, take water, broad brim hat and if you need to take short breaks. We left our guide and checked what time to meet back at car park and saw so much more. We could just sit and watch as one little feller wandered along the boardwalk with everyone else following at a good space behind. The penguins have priority and you are not supposed to pass them.

It is a long drive but totally worth it. I especially loved seeing the hundreds and hundreds lined up on the beach.

When we did it we found that it depends where the bus parks.

We parked where the long walk was needed. Our guide said the previous year they could park much closer.

Of course I do not know the correct answer for the coming upcoming cruises.

thanx so much. Gwendy, did you hire these folks before the cruise, or upon arrival at the wharf? If the former, would you mind passing on their name to my PM? thanx steve <scheherazade@swbell.net>

I'm sorry I do not have their name. They were at the port just as we disembarked. There were a number of vans offering to take us, as soon as they had their 8 or so passengers they left. I cannot remember how much it cost, we were with a young Us couple we had met on board, they spoke Spanish and bargained our price down.

I know it was a lot cheaper than the ship tour.

We stopped at a service station on the way for food and restrooms, pretty basic and were just leaving there when the first of the ship tour busses came in. Because it was a van they parked pretty close to the entrance.

I would have been 60 then, not very fit, apart from heat cannot remember it being over strenuous.