Negotiating Upgraded Cabin After Final Payment Date

iambumbo

I'm sailing on a 5-day cruise in January on Navigator, currently booked in an interior cabin w/virtual balcony. Keeping an eye on the ship and it's looking relatively light for bookings-- they are listing about 100 balconies still available and we're now just 40 days out. The lowest listed price for balconies is still a little more than I'd like to pay so here's my question. Does RCL ever offer upgrades leading up to sailing for lower than the listed price? I'm curious if it's possible to call and play "let's make a deal." If so, would I call RCL directly to cut a deal or the agency I booked through? (I used a large online company so it's not like I have a "personal" agent.)

I am in the same situation..same ship and same type room as OP in January.

While I am curious to see what the virtual balcony would be like, I would much rather pay a little more for a real one!

Never tried or was offered to upgrade before but....

I'm sailing on a 5-day cruise in January on Navigator, currently booked in an interior cabin w/virtual balcony. Keeping an eye on the ship and it's looking relatively light for bookings-- they are listing about 100 balconies still available and we're now just 40 days out. The lowest listed price for balconies is still a little more than I'd like to pay so here's my question. Does RCL ever offer upgrades leading up to sailing for lower than the listed price? I'm curious if it's possible to call and play "let's make a deal." If so, would I call RCL directly to cut a deal or the agency I booked through? (I used a large online company so it's not like I have a "personal" agent.)

RCI wouldn't discuss it with you. You'd have to go through your TA.

I am on the 3 day nav on 1/3/17. I booked a inside guarantee and was assigned a CAT M i think?

Anyways they called me last week to offer me a upgrade to a BALCONY for only $100 TOTAL.

I took it and was given a D3 superior ocean view with balcony!!

Exactly, @monctonguy, like they say, "ain't nothing like the real thing." I'm surprised to see a bunch of aft balconies still open too. I'd be perfectly fine with a regular balcony but never tried an aft in 11 cruises. I don't want to look like an idiot or a cheapskate but if there's way to cut a price that we're both happy with, why not? Better than the balcony sitting empty if they can squeeze a little more $$$ out of us.

I am on the 3 day nav on 1/3/17. I booked a inside guarantee and was assigned a CAT M i think?

Anyways they called me last week to offer me a upgrade to a BALCONY for only $100 TOTAL.

I took it and was given a D3 superior ocean view with balcony!!

Nice work, @Jared100! Was it RCL or your travel agent that called you? Had you given them any idea you were interested in upgrading or was it completely out of the blue?

Our experience is that if we call them trying to buy into an upgrade, they give you the difference of the list price. The reps on the phone can't upgrade. Usually the paid for upgrades come from a different department and they have a set dollar amount for that upgrade. If you don't take it, they will call the next person.

Nice work, @Jared100! Was it RCL or your travel agent that called you? Had you given them any idea you were interested in upgrading or was it completely out of the blue?

It was RCL. I was a little thrown off because it was a random number so I asked for some verification before providing my CC.

In RE to your second question, I went in to my crown and anchor account a few days prior and switched my preference to upgrade if possible or something similar. I found out how to do that on here, and I guess it worked? But she also said that they had a weekly list of C&A members and non members as well and they wanted to give people the opportunity for a balcony who wouldnt normally have one...

I priced the same category after my upgrade and I ended up saving like $600 on that room type

Our experience is that if we call them trying to buy into an upgrade, they give you the difference of the list price. The reps on the phone can't upgrade. Usually the paid for upgrades come from a different department and they have a set dollar amount for that upgrade. If you don't take it, they will call the next person.

Thanks for the insight. So if I'm reading this correctly, sounds like I could call and upgrade if I'm willing to pay the list price difference, but if I wanted to pay something less than that difference, I'd have to wait and hope the "upgrade fairy" calls me and offers me the better deal?

It was RCL. I was a little thrown off because it was a random number so I asked for some verification before providing my CC.

In RE to your second question, I went in to my crown and anchor account a few days prior and switched my preference to upgrade if possible or something similar. I found out how to do that on here, and I guess it worked? But she also said that they had a weekly list of C&A members and non members as well and they wanted to give people the opportunity for a balcony who wouldnt normally have one...

I priced the same category after my upgrade and I ended up saving like $600 on that room type

Excellent deal! Do you mind sharing how you changed that C&A preference to "upgrade if possible"? I'm on here quite a bit but don't think I've seen that tidbit shared before.

Excellent deal! Do you mind sharing how you changed that C&A preference to "upgrade if possible"? I'm on here quite a bit but don't think I've seen that tidbit shared before.

It's not here on CC. To change your upgrade preference, go to your RCCL account and into "MY Cruises". From there you will see a tab that says "profile". Click on that and you'll see "upgrade preferences" on the left. That is where you will be able to change your preference to automatic upgrade, as well as putting beds together or apart, etc.:cool: If you have trouble and went through a TA, just call them for help!;)

Thanks for the insight. So if I'm reading this correctly, sounds like I could call and upgrade if I'm willing to pay the list price difference, but if I wanted to pay something less than that difference, I'd have to wait and hope the "upgrade fairy" calls me and offers me the better deal?

This is correct. Also as I believe was mentioned earlier you can't call Royal, your travel agent needs to.

Does RCL ever offer upgrades leading up to sailing for lower than the listed price? I'm curious if it's possible to call and play "let's make a deal." If so, would I call RCL directly to cut a deal or the agency I booked through? (I used a large online company so it's not like I have a "personal" agent.)

RCL does offer such upgrades. But you would have to deal with your TA.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have upgraded three times in three weeks now through my TA. LOL, I think the last one I shouldn't have jumped the gun so quick but whatever (there's a post by me about it). I've gone through my TA each time and he has been great. We booked an Inside, upgraded to an OV for the same price, upgraded to a balcony for $54 more last week and then upgraded to an aft balcony today, same price.

Maybe if I'm lucky, the UPSELL fairy will call me and offer an option better than the upgrade I just made. I don't have the nerve to call my TA and ask again for another cabin. Live and learn.....always research before you jump.:D

I have always had my upgrade preferences set to automatic upgrade and nothing offered in my previous 9 cruises so far.....still waiting.

I watch for prices too...but I haven't seen anything like $100 to upgrade to a balcony otherwise I would be all over it!

I have always had my upgrade preferences set to automatic upgrade and nothing offered in my previous 9 cruises so far.....still waiting.

I watch for prices too...but I haven't seen anything like $100 to upgrade to a balcony otherwise I would be all over it!

could very well be because this is my cruise RCL in 10.5 years.. im not sure

Maybe if I'm lucky, the UPSELL fairy will call me and offer an option better than the upgrade I just made. I don't have the nerve to call my TA and ask again for another cabin. Live and learn.....always research before you jump.:D

haha I understand where you're coming from... on our past Anthem cruise I called our TA no less than 8 times switching cabins for 3 different couples to get everyone the best possible cabin.

On our upcoming booking, I called her at least 4 or 5 times for price drops, OBC increase, or cabin selection. I also had a momentary thought of not wanting to bother them, but hey, it's what they do and we work hard for that $$ spent! So, I'd say if there is something else you've found that you prefer then just call back again! They've never been rude, or even seemed annoyed honestly! :D