American Express offer: $100 off $500+ Cruise Lines

izmeeh

I think you have to load the offer before you use it to get the credit. But, I guess it can't hurt to try.

I also thought so at first. I used it in Oct 18, after the Oct 14 offer start. Loaded (added) the offer to my card in November. Called Amex Rewards and was given the credit. So you can use it, then load after, as long as it is with the offer period.

I also thought so at first. I used it in Oct 18, after the Oct 14 offer start. Loaded (added) the offer to my card in November. Called Amex Rewards and was given the credit. So you can use it, then load after, as long as it is with the offer period.

That is very much a YMMV (your mileage may vary). I would not rely on that, or expect that others could get it. It is certainly not typical of experience with other AMEX offers. You need to load it before using it.

Edited by MisterBill99

That is very much a YMMV (your mileage may vary). I would not rely on that, or expect that others could get it. It is certainly not typical of experience with other AMEX offers. You need to load it before using it.

Sorry if your experience differs from mine.

I paid for a cruise on Oct. 18, 2016 before receiving the AMEX offers, not knowing such AMEX offer even existed. A month later, a WLCL (World's Leading Cruise Line) Offer was under the AMEX Offers in my AMEX online account. I then "ADDED" the WLCL Offer to my card. I read very carefully the Terms. It was long but simple to understand. I believed then that my previous transaction should qualify since I paid for the cruise after Oct 14, 2016. I called AMEX REWARDS. I told the rep about my payment even before ADDING the WLCL to my AMEX credit card. The rep said they will check my statement of account. After a few minutes, she said the $100 credit will be reflected within 24-48 hours. After 48 hours, our account was credited with the $100. End of Story.

I am just relating my ACTUAL experience, not an opinion on the Terms or AMEX policy. I am not forcing anyone to rely on my experience. Nor am I urging anyone who had a similar transaction to claim the $100 credit from AMEX. It is their money, and their decision to make. Rather, it is just a simple phone call to AMEX to confirm that AMEX is denying others' claim WHO HAD the same transaction as mine. Only then can we say that my experience may be different from others.

Sorry if your experience differs from mine.

I paid for a cruise on Oct. 18, 2016 before receiving the AMEX offers, not knowing such AMEX offer even existed. A month later, a WLCL (World's Leading Cruise Line) Offer was under the AMEX Offers in my AMEX online account. I then "ADDED" the WLCL Offer to my card. I read very carefully the Terms. It was long but simple to understand. I believed then that my previous transaction should qualify since I paid for the cruise after Oct 14, 2016. I called AMEX REWARDS. I told the rep about my payment even before ADDING the WLCL to my AMEX credit card. The rep said they will check my statement of account. After a few minutes, she said the $100 credit will be reflected within 24-48 hours. After 48 hours, our account was credited with the $100. End of Story.

I am just relating my ACTUAL experience, not an opinion on the Terms or AMEX policy. I am not forcing anyone to rely on my experience. Nor am I urging anyone who had a similar transaction to claim the $100 credit from AMEX. It is their money, and their decision to make. Rather, it is just a simple phone call to AMEX to confirm that AMEX is denying others' claim WHO HAD the same transaction as mine. Only then can we say that my experience may be different from others.

They are generally pretty good at AMEX with trying to please their customer. (At least that is my experience with them.) The offers always reads that you have to use the card ending in xxxx (the one you registered the card for). My wife and I have linked cards, same bill, but different numbers. I had registered my card for a credit, but she ended up using her card. By the terms of the agreement, that should not have qualified, but they gave our account the credit when I called and explained what had happened. I have also found them to be very customer friendly when you dispute a charge.

Edited by ontheweb

They are generally pretty good at AMEX with trying to please their customer. (At least that is my experience with them.) The offers always reads that you have to use the card ending in xxxx (the one you registered the card for). My wife and I have linked cards, same bill, but different numbers. I had registered my card for a credit, but she ended up using her card. By the terms of the agreement, that should not have qualified, but they gave our account the credit when I called and explained what had happened. I have also found them to be very customer friendly when you dispute a charge.

I'm not going to disagree with that. My issue is that people should not be told to expect that to always be the case.

BTW, in your case, you should have loaded the offer on both cards and used it twice.

Also, it turns out that the post I was replying to wasn't really answering the question, which was "So for sure it works on a cruise that has been booked previous to the date on the offer that says 10/14/16?". That answer is definitely yes, although if the person were to call AMEX to ask them to honor the offer for a payment made when it was booked pre-10/14, it would not qualify.

Edited by MisterBill99

• 1 month later...

how does this work with using a travel agent? I called AMEX and they could not give me an answer. they said it depended on how the payment was billed to the credit card... if the agency name is involved it is a NO. they told me to try it, & see,,,, yea, uh no don;t want to just try.

how does this work with using a travel agent? I called AMEX and they could not give me an answer. they said it depended on how the payment was billed to the credit card... if the agency name is involved it is a NO. they told me to try it, & see,,,, yea, uh no don;t want to just try.

What they said. If it shows as Carnival Reservations, it will work. If it shows as your TA, it won't. Maybe ask your TA if they pay Carnival directly with your card.

What they said. If it shows as Carnival Reservations, it will work. If it shows as your TA, it won't. Maybe ask your TA if they pay Carnival directly with your card.

As I understood from my TA ... they have to call Carnival & Carnival runs the charges. It'll report back next weeek as I've asked out TA to chg our Am Ex card the $500.

As I understood from my TA ... they have to call Carnival & Carnival runs the charges. It'll report back next weeek as I've asked out TA to chg our Am Ex card the $500.

Awesome. You should be good to go then! Let us know what happens. It can take a day or 2 to post, so don't panic. Worst case, they can always reverse the charge and you can pay another way if it doesn't take. But I think it will.

The term indicates payment to specific cruise line named on the Offer by World Leading Cruise Lines.

A credit card charge through a TA for a cruise should always be billed directly by the cruise line, I know when I use our TA they always are.

Think of it this way---what if your TA went bankrupt and now you do not have a charge directly with the cruise line?

I booked yesterday and got the email that my offer was redeemed, but it's still showing up in my offers - like I can use it again (doesn't say redeemed). Anyone have an experience like this?

It usually posts to your account a day or two after you receive that e-mail.

Does the e-mail actually say it was redeemed, or does it say it will be redeemed if you met the qualifications?

It usually posts to your account a day or two after you receive that e-mail.

Does the e-mail actually say it was redeemed, or does it say it will be redeemed if you met the qualifications?

The AMEX email APPEARS to be just link any of the others I received after redeeming them - just never remember seeing the offer appear back in my account...

It's only been a day, so we'll see.

Thank you!

I booked yesterday and got the email that my offer was redeemed, but it's still showing up in my offers - like I can use it again (doesn't say redeemed). Anyone have an experience like this?
You have to wait until the actual charge posts. If you just used it yesterday, the odds are that the actual charge is not posted yet. Once it does, give it a day look in the "My Offers" tab and it should show as redeemed, and then it will get credited to your account within a day.

Nothing changes on the website as a result of receiving the email since the offer is not redeemed until the actual charge posts. On the other hand, getting the email is a pretty good indication that the offer will in fact be credited.

If I understand this correctly ... I should be able to do this w/ my DHs card too NC it's a different #? Hmmm ....

Correct. But you each need to have separate AMEX logins and load it on your respective cards. Just loading it on one card does not automatically make it available on the other.

You have to wait until the actual charge posts. If you just used it yesterday, the odds are that the actual charge is not posted yet. Once it does, give it a day look in the "My Offers" tab and it should show as redeemed, and then it will get credited to your account within a day.

Nothing changes on the website as a result of receiving the email since the offer is not redeemed until the actual charge posts.

Thank you! Never paid much attention in the past, since it was only $5 or so, haha

I just came across this thread. So I looked on my AMEX offers and it was there so I loaded it to my card and made a payment on my previously booked cruise through Carnival website. Hopefully the credit will work for me as it has for others.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just came across this thread. So I looked on my AMEX offers and it was there so I loaded it to my card and made a payment on my previously booked cruise through Carnival website. Hopefully the credit will work for me as it has for others.

Did you get the email thanking you for redeeming the offer after you made the payment?