Celebrity quality is slipping

scoobyspiced

OK, lets talk about CA. To the best of our knowledge, CA (California to you Canadians) does not inspect cruise ships...as this is done by the Feds (Coast Guard). The issue that drove many cruise ships away from CA ports was when CA adopted their own environmental rules that restricted the use of sulfur in Bunker Fuel (used by most commercial ships). Low Sulfer Bunker costs more per ton then the regular stuff...so this meant many ships had to carry two kinds oo fuel and change over when they got within 24 Nautical Miles of the CA coast. When you combined this regulation with the cost (and demands) of the Longshoreman Union....it created a strong incentive for cruise ships to avoid CA ports. But I believe that the low sulfur rules have gradually been implemented nationwide...so this is probably no longer an issue. The other bigger problem with CA are the ports within range for a shorter cruise. During the winter this would mostly be Mexican Ports....and many cruisers have been afraid to cruise to Mexico (we live in Mexico part of the year and feel very safe). After a few years of declining passenger volume and being forced to discount.....quite a few cruise lines simply kept their ships over in the Caribbean market.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

OK, lets talk about CA. To the best of our knowledge, CA (California to you Canadians) does not inspect cruise ships...as this is done by the Feds (Coast Guard). ......... But I believe that the low sulfur rules have gradually been implemented nationwide...so this is probably no longer an issue.

Yes, the California Dept of Public Health conducts surprise visits to cruise ships in California ports to inspect food service areas, equipped with thermometers (to check the temperature of foods), check for logs for how long food is kept on the buffet counter, cleanliness, sneeze guards, etc. They also check on land based restaurants and give them ratings that must be publicly displayed - A, B, and close the place up. California has generally led the Nation in this type of progressive public advocacy. And this includes the use of low sulfur fuels.

Carnival and Princess have always had a strong presence in Southern California with Mexico and Hawai'i cruises during the Winter and

Spring and Pacific Coastal/Alaska during the Summer. NCL and HAL also offer frequent itineraries from SoCal. Celebrity used to have a strong presence with the Century until 4 years ago. There are persistent rumors (even by my TA) that Celebrity will put a M class ship (hopefully the Infinity) in a permanent California base as soon as the Edge class ships are on line. Even the Future Cruise staff on board give an evasive answer, "Maybe, I don't know, but I hope so."

I too live in Mexico about a third of the year, in most places, as safe or safer than the US. But like the US, there are some places and neighborhoods you want to avoid. Mexicans are afraid of all the illegal US murderers and rapists.

Mexicans are afraid of all the illegal US murderers and rapists.

REALLY? Who's the troll now? (holding up mirror in your direction)

Then why are so many people coming across the border? Don't they know it's not safe to live in the U.S.? Maybe they'll be safer in the sanctuary cities Like San Francisco, New York or Chicago.

We are currently on the Summit sailing from Puerto Rico. We have found this cruise to be well under the standards we have come to expect from Celebrity. Embarkation day was a free for all. People were made to stand in line outside in the heat. We saw a person in wheel a chair and one that told the staff they were diabetic asking if they could just sit in the AC no way. Once the doors were open and check in complete seating was limited again no one tried to organize the mob that tried to rush through one door to board the ship. The rest of the cruise consisted of cold food at the buffet,empty hand sanitizer stations on top that Norovirus broke out.People vomiting in the halls, common areas and in one of the dining rooms.This caused a removal of all books, throw pillows,and bedding dust covers from the staterooms.The rooms had to be sprayed with a machine as well as wiping down the walls.Dining became slow in all the dining rooms,we dined in AQ classes Blu. Nothing could be touched sugar,salt and pepper packets were handed out with tongs. The trip continued with our closet door falling off its hinges in the middle of the night. During the time spent at the pool no for at least two hours came to see if a drink was wanted. When we told guest relations of our concerns they couldn't be bothered. They did screw the closet door back on.We have many cruises under our belts most with Celebrity but this was pathetic.

I have to say that my experience on the Summit this past June was very positive. The food, entertainment, quality of service and the staff were excellent.

I just got off the Infinity this week, which is the sister ship to the Summit. Both these ships were refurbished this spring. We thoroughly enjoyed the cruise on the Infinity, but I found that the food & entertainment was better on the Summit. And that's not to say the food was bad on the Infinity ... we just thought it was better on the Summit. Of course, that's my opinion.

I agree that the ship's are now trying too hard to push the specialty restaurants, which are way overpriced. When I started cruising on Celebrity, they were known for their fine dining .... and that was the food being served in the Main Dining Room, not the specialty restaurants. Things have definitely changed & they now seem to be looking to make more money. I'm sure most of us are NOT happy with that.

I do have to add that on our recent cruise, there was no lack of hand sanitizers and they were constantly after us ... so as to prevent illness's. Yet some people still got sick. I believe they do try their hardest. No ship wants an outbreak.

A friend of mine was on a RCCL cruise last month and she told me the food there was terrible. I've been on many RCCL cruises and never found there to be a problem.

It seems the quality of food & entertainment on cruise ships in general, seems to be sliding. And of course, everyone has different opinions on dining & entertainment. I can overlook a lot as long as my overall cruise experience is a good one. Getting sick on board would definitely be a bad experience.

I'm sorry you had to go through such a horrible experience during your cruise. If you're not happy with Celebrity, then you should try another cruise line .... but Celebrity is one of the best. And although I didn't rate the food as 'excellent' this time ... I am still booked on a couple more Celebrity cruises.