Celebrity quality is slipping

scoobyspiced

Sorry, OP, but the outbreak of Noro can't be attributed to a lack of hand sanitizers.

A Doctor confirmed to us that Purell doesn't do diddly squat for Noro.

Washing your hands often with plain soap and water is far more effective.

Of course the key is washing one's hands...

Sorry, OP, but the outbreak of Noro can't be attributed to a lack of hand sanitizers.

A Doctor confirmed to us that Purell doesn't do diddly squat for Noro.

Washing your hands often with plain soap and water is far more effective.

Of course the key is washing one's hands...

Not totally true. Alcohol based sanitizers are an excellent supplement to hand washing. Check the CDC research on this subject.

But the problem is not what you do with your hands, it is what others with horrible hygiene do with theirs. Which means that you can wash your hands until they are raw, but unless you wash or sanitize immediately after using serving utensils, menus, hand rails, etc, (which we do) you can be exposed.

Not totally true. Alcohol based sanitizers are an excellent supplement to hand washing. Check the CDC research on this subject.

But the problem is not what you do with your hands, it is what others with horrible hygiene do with theirs. Which means that you can wash your hands until they are raw, but unless you wash or sanitize immediately after using serving utensils, menus, hand rails, etc, (which we do) you can be exposed.

No. the Purell on the ships doesn't help with noro.

It doesn't matter at all what others do. ALL that matters is what you do. If you don't put your exposed hands to your mouth area you won't get it. Period

It ends with each individual person and what they do with their own hands.

If I get noro, I am to blame for it. Period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. the Purell on the ships doesn't help with noro.

It doesn't matter at all what others do. ALL that matters is what you do. If you don't put your exposed hands to your mouth area you won't get it. Period

It ends with each individual person and what they do with their own hands.

If I get noro, I am to blame for it. Period.

I think that's a bit naive. I watch folks taking tongs or spoons in the buffet and then putting them down in the food....so anything on their hands is now on the food. I see folks reaching in for bread, desserts, whatever and taking them with their fingers, touching other pieces with their hands. Yes, I've also seen folks try something and put it back...they didn't like it (it really does happen). And one of my favorites are the folks who, while waiting for a hamburger, reach in and start to take french fries from behind the counter with their fingers. No....I am not exaggerating any of these....I saw every one of them on my last cruise where I decided to try the buffet at various times, despite what I say below.

Your health on a ship is very much related to what others do in addition to what you personally do. My advice...which my wife always follows and I mostly follow, is to avoid eating in buffets as much as possible. That applies to our club at home, our local buffet restaurants and mostly to dining on a cruise ship. There are many other places to eat.

"The C.D.C. says that as a means of preventing norovirus infection, alcohol-based sanitizers can be used “in addition” to hand washing, never as a substitute. Hand sanitizers can reduce the spread of some viruses, like the flu. But against norovirus they are largely ineffective; better to use soap and water."Jan 14, 2013

There are myriad articles online talking about how alcohol based hand sanitizers, are ineffective against the Noro virus.

An officer on Freedom of the Seas said that the cruise line is aware that the hand sanitizers around the ship will not kill Noro. The sanitizers were supposed to be "a reminder for guests to wash their hands".

Noro is difficult to get rid of. It can live on objects and surfaces and continue to infect people for days or weeks.

I think that's a bit naive. I watch folks taking tongs or spoons in the buffet and then putting them down in the food....so anything on their hands is now on the food. I see folks reaching in for bread, desserts, whatever and taking them with their fingers, touching other pieces with their hands. Yes, I've also seen folks try something and put it back...they didn't like it (it really does happen). And one of my favorites are the folks who, while waiting for a hamburger, reach in and start to take french fries from behind the counter with their fingers. No....I am not exaggerating any of these....I saw every one of them on my last cruise where I decided to try the buffet at various times, despite what I say below.

Your health on a ship is very much related to what others do in addition to what you personally do. My advice...which my wife always follows and I mostly follow, is to avoid eating in buffets as much as possible. That applies to our club at home, our local buffet restaurants and mostly to dining on a cruise ship. There are many other places to eat.

We've seen some pretty alarming behavior in the buffets too.

We also avoid the buffets now.

Funny, with all the "just wash your hands" adherents, I have yet to see anyone use serving utensils in the buffet, or a menu, and then head immediately to the washroom to wash their hands before returning to eat.

Quit saying they are not effective. That simply empowers those who refuse to use anything. Sanitizers are not as effective as washing, yes, but no one does that (see above). They are a good supplement with prior washing.

Just a couple of many researchers:

''Alcohol-based hand sanitizers are clearly a very useful and important method to prevent most bacterial and viral infections, with rare exceptions," says Aaron E. Glatt, MD, executive vice president of Mercy Medical Center, Rockville Centre, Long Island, N.Y. He is a spokesman for the Infectious Diseases Society of America."

"Norovirus and rotavirus, the two strains of what's commonly called the stomach flu, can be killed by alcohol-based hand sanitizer, explains MayoClinic.com internist Dr. James M. Steckelberg."

In addition, noro is not the only contagious disease present on cruise ships. Bacterial issues, which sanitizers are totally effective against, are also frequently encountered.

In addition, noro is not the only contagious disease present on cruise ships. Bacterial issues, which sanitizers are totally effective against, are also frequently encountered.

Sorry, but that's not true. Hand Sanitizers are quite effective against bacteria.

Bacterial issues, which sanitizers are totally effective against, are also frequently encountered.

Sorry, but that's not true. Hand Sanitizers are quite effective against bacteria.

Perhaps what's not true is your ability to read closely :confused:

What you quoted: Bacterial issues, which sanitizers are totally effective against, are also frequently encountered.

PS. I know you just misread it, cause you and I agree on a multitude of issues.

Edited by ECCruise

I'm sure if there is/was Norovirus, that could bring the level of service down as it would add quite a lot of extra work for staff, and brings inconveniences to guests. But 4 weeks ago, the Summit was great - I didn't want to leave. I didn't notice a decline in quality from when we sailed on her a couple of years ago.

I am just preparing to disembark from Summit myself. I can back up most of OPs assertions.

Noro broke out. I think Celebrity did ok job trying to manage it, but as it certainly afflicts crew as well as guest, service became strained.

We experienced subpar buffet food prior to the noro outbreak. Blu dining was good, though super super slow afterwards. One meal lasted 3 hours.

This was our first cruise with Celebrity so I can't say that they are slipping. But we saw enough to say that we prefer Princess ourselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Was it Summit that was in Sint Maarten on the 18th? We met a family from Celebrity there that was having terrific time. (Currently on Adventure and thinking of celebrity for the future)

Our St Maarten stop was on the 22nd. I enjoyed most of our ports. Particularly Magen's Bay in St Thomas.

Judging by just the things that cruise line can control, we felt cruise was a 3/5.

"Celebrity quality is slipping"... I read that on Cruise Critic in 2005 or so right after I just booked my first cruise and it made me very nervous (unnecessarily so). I have read it again probably a 100 times between then and now. I will probably still be reading it on Cruise Critic come 2025... yet every time I'm on board I'm having an excellent time [emoji3] And yes, I have been on noro cruises; it's inconvenient but I go with the flow.

"Celebrity quality is slipping"... I read that on Cruise Critic in 2005 or so right after I just booked my first cruise and it made me very nervous (unnecessarily so). I have read it again probably a 100 times between then and now. I will probably still be reading it on Cruise Critic come 2025... yet every time I'm on board I'm having an excellent time [emoji3] And yes, I have been on noro cruises; it's inconvenient but I go with the flow.

Well after thinking about this thread, not very often mind you as there are so many similar to digest, methinks the title of the thread needs to be changed to:

Quality of X's passengers have slipped....

;-) Just a thought, mine only and not meant to offend either...

...methinks the title of the thread needs to be changed to:

Quality of X's passengers have slipped....

;-) Just a thought, mine only and not meant to offend either...

Not sure how that's not meant to offend....

bit like when someone starts a sentence "I don't wish to be rude but..." and then proceeds to say something downright rude

When we went on our first Celebrity cruise in February on Constellation. After booking I read the horrific reviews and really wondered if ia made a mistake booking on Celebrity..My experience was the exact opposite of what I read. I never had one complaint. Went on Equinox last month. Same thing just never really had an issue with anything. Is it Celebrity or the peoples expectations?

Granted through the years Im sure they have made cutbacks but I guess Im not sure what people expect. Take the buffet, people complain because there isnt enough variety. Really? What else could you possibly want?

I dont know and go back to the statement is it Celebrity or the people that cruise?

People who have cruised with Celebrity for many years were treated to an all around exceptional experience...high quality, high value...country club at sea on fewer and smaller ships.

We are more apt to notice all the changes as the years go by...some changes are very nice but others are indicative of a downgraded mass market experience on more and larger ships unless one goes suite class.

. Newer cruisers probably come away favorably impressed compared to other cruise lines.. We still enjoy ourselves with lowered expectations. Still good value.

Edited by hcat

When we went on our first Celebrity cruise in February on Constellation. After booking I read the horrific reviews and really wondered if ia made a mistake booking on Celebrity..My experience was the exact opposite of what I read. I never had one complaint. Went on Equinox last month. Same thing just never really had an issue with anything. Is it Celebrity or the peoples expectations?

Granted through the years Im sure they have made cutbacks but I guess Im not sure what people expect. Take the buffet, people complain because there isnt enough variety. Really? What else could you possibly want?

I dont know and go back to the statement is it Celebrity or the people that cruise?

We were on our first ever cruise on the Summit in January. I did a ton of research after booking and read a lot of reviews on this forum about the amount of rust and the general lack of maintenance of the ship. My DW and I walked aboard thinking the ship was going to be a rusty, deteriorated and just a plain eyesore with horrible service and even worse food. Nothing could have been further from the truth. We enjoyed every minute and every meal. Was there some rust? Of course. The Summit is an older ship but fairly well maintained. I agree with you that it's people's expectations and not the brand. I think my favorite example of this is when I watched a couple walk to the Mast Grill get a couple of hamburgers and walk back to the Oceanview Cafe. After they had chatted for a few minutes they started to eat their burgers and it turns out they weren't piping hot anymore. Their response was "Modern Luxury my a**" I couldn't help but laugh.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

I haven't sailed but want to one of these days. It's always a shame but unfortunately industry-wide. I have no doubt quality has slipped since the beginning. The loss of the ocean liner restaurants is saddening, though that's less of a service complaint and more of a uniqueness factor.