To drive or not, thoughts.

chad1313

Going on Getaway last week of March 2017. Flights are crazy high for 4 people.

Using Southwest it's $1615 to FLL and $1123 to Orlando or the third option is fly to Atlanta for $631. Rental car and fuel from Atl is $200 These are one way fares. Have to fly back from Fll, kids have to be back in school Mon morning. That's $1423. I can save some money on the way down by driving some of it. Just wondering what others would do.

Sounds like spring break prices! :(

Your numbers are a little confusing, but it sounds like you will save about $800 by flying to ATL and driving for a day - I'm guessing you'll also need a hotel and some food on the way, so your will be closer to $600.

I think I would bite the bullet and fly to Orlando or FLL (and also check West Palm, Sanford and even Tampa).

Using Southwest it's $1615 to FLL and $1123 to Orlando or the third option is fly to Atlanta for $631. Rental car and fuel from Atl is $200 These are one way fares. Have to fly back from Fll, kids have to be back in school Mon morning. That's $1423. I can save some money on the way down by driving some of it. Just wondering what others would do.

What are your exact dates and from where?

My family ran into the same issue a couple of years ago during Spring break. We decided to drive down & fly back home. This saved us about $1500 after gas & rental car fees. Not sure where you're leaving from but this might be an option. We were coming from the D.C. area.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OK...Here's an idea. It's not exactly convenient and may be too much trouble, but I'll throw it out here anyway.

Get someone to drive you to Milwaukee on 3/25 and take the 8:25 PM Nonstop to MCO arriving at 12:05 AM ($198), pick up a rental car (Budget-Int. SUV-$64.43) and drive toward Miami stopping somewhere along the way for an inexpensive hotel to sleep for a few hours before heading to the port.

On the return...The kids could skip a couple days of school and return on Tuesday, 4/4 from FLL to MID for $107.

~Or

On Sunday, 4/2 pick up a rental car in Miami (Budget-Full Size $136.21), drive to MCO and take the 10:55 PM Nonstop arriving back at MKE at 12:45 AM ($158). Then go home.

Edited by Lido_Deck

Check other airlines.... EVERY us airline flies out of Chicago. Don't fall into the cult of southwest trap and believe they are the cheapest. United flies direct to FLL and American flies direct to Miami. You may have to adjust a day or so either way (and possibly miss a day of school) but that is much easier than flying to Atlanta and renting a car. (Atlanta to South FL is not exactly a 2 hr drive. It is about 650 miles (give or take a car length).

Were coming from Chicago on 3/24/17 and return 4/2/17.

Yes. That would be a very long drive. [emoji51]

Here are a few more ideas:

1) If you are not flexible with your schedule you may want to try driving to another (relatively close) airport for one or both legs of the flight.

2) Occasionally 2 one-way tickets have saved us money.

3) Try booking 2 passengers together and then the others. You'll sometimes get a reduced fare when booking for 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just want point out that before anyone thinks driving may be better, my family spent Christmas weekend in Sarasota/Siesta Key and half of my family drove and half flew.

My niece and nephew drove I95 from South Carolina and spent eight hours sitting in traffic on Friday night around Jacksonville. Eight hours in addition to a normal drive time of about 10 hours so it took them 18 hours.

Driving home from Sarasota yesterday to FLL, I75 was at a standstill in Alligator Alley from Fort Lauderdale almost all the way to Naples. I'd say 60 miles or so.

I really felt bad for all of those people who had to get home for school yesterday.

Florida is experiencing RECORD tourism.

Maybe just take your kids out of school the Monday after and fly home on cheaper fares.

Not sure where you live in the Chicago area, but there are other options than Southwest. Frontier and Spirit fly out of ORD and usually have low fares. There is also Allegiant that flies out of Rockford. I know they only go a few places in Florida, but worth checking out. There is also free parking the Rockford airport which can be a cost savings.

I also suggest using Kayak or fly.com to find the best fares.

The prices are also extremely high early March. I tried just about every airport in southern and western Florida and different airports of departure (there are 5 within 100 miles of here). Sunday flights out of FLL and anywhere near by were a killer. Also to add to the mix I wanted to use a companion ticket.

I ended up booking RT CVG - MCO and rented a car for the best pricing. I was able to get direct flights. It is a 3 hr drive to and from FLL and I booked late afternoon flights back as I have to be back to work the next day.

I don't mind the drive. I also understand the traffic as I drove from Cincinnati to Port Canaveral right after Thanksgiving with all the snow birds and their campers. It's about being patient. Also helps to purchase some travel insurance in case of delays

I would check other nearby airports to fly out of but not too far. It may be snowing at that time of the year.

Edited by iluvcruzin