Flam - question about boat & train

mocrimlaw

We will be in Flam in August from 9am-7pm. I would like to do the boat round trip (Not bus) and train. We have time to do the slower boat one was which stops at several places and takes 2 1/4 hours, or the faster boat both ways which takes 1 1/2 hours each way. Is there any reason to take the slower boat, scenery wise?

My next question is whether 20 minutes is enough time to get off the boat and get on the train, or whether it would be better to allow 1 1/2 hours between the two and have lunch in Flam rather than on the boat.

Last question is whether there is any advantage to doing boat or train first? Of course we won't know the weather, but in general is there any reason to do one first over the other. My priority is the boat, if that matters.

Thanks!

Provided your boat trip arrives back on time, and you have already bought your train ticket, 20 should be enough though you are cutting it fine. The Station will only be 5 mins walk from the boat.

But I am not sure whether the boat ride has much to offer. What are you going to see in the boat that you can't see on the Ship's own sail-in sail-out?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Flam is vers small. 5 minuts from boat to train. As Eboracum_d is mentioning the boat trip does not offer much more than when arriving/departing on the cruise ship - except if you are visiting Undredal and/or Gudvangen. An option is to take a boat to Gudvangen and then the shuttle bus from Gudvangen to Flam ( or reverse). I'll say that the train is a must. Do both. The order doesn't matter as long as you are back in Flam in time for the ship departure.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Regarding the boat trip - we did both the train and the boat trip on a land-based trip through Norway. The boat trip was a wonderful afternoon of getting close to the small farms and waterfalls along the shores of the fjord. The cruise ship just doesn't get close enough to shore. We could hear the waterfalls and see the farmers working their farms. The onboard narration during our boat trip was very informative and easy to understand. The boat had both indoor and outdoor viewing areas. I would encourage you to try to schedule both boat and train if timing allows.

Thank you PNW. I do plan to do both. I wish we had more time in Flam as I would also love to go see the Borglund Stave Church but it's about 50 minutes away by taxi, so I don't think we can do it. Sadly, we are also going to Haugesund, where I can find nothing I want to do, and there are NO shore excursions yet either so apparently NCL can't find anything to do there either!

Wow! Thanks so much for all the feedback. From what I can tell, the fjord safari on the zodiac-type boat really does provide a more intimate experience with the scenery and all the fjords have to offer--their explanation below:

"Join us on this soft adventure by zodiac and experience the Aurlandsfjord and the whole UNESCO listed Nærøyfjord in only 2hours 15 minutes. We use open RIB boats with a maximum of 12 guests, ensuring a personal experience with our guides and a chance to get close to small villages and waterfalls along the way. Enjoy the breathtaking scenery, stories, tales and history shared by your personal guide. We take you closer to nature and spot for seals, porpoises and eagles along the way."

As long as we are back by 4pm, and the ship departs at 5:30, I think we are in good shape.