New thing ? Room steward once a day ?

pattymo

This is being tested on many ships. I think it started on the Dream. It is also inconsistent. Many people are getting offered a card that asks if they want morning or evening service. Some are checking both and getting it, others are being told that they must choose. Some are claiming they never saw a card and only got once a day service.

John Heald claims that if you want twice a day service you will still get it, but if reports here can be trusted some stewards disagree.

Have only cruised Carnival twice before, last time in 2010 ..A friend told me that the room steward only services the room once a day .. Is that true ? Last cruise was 18 months ago on NCL and it was 2X a day

Some cabin stewards on some ship will offer once a day service.

We've never given a cabin steward the opportunity to offer service once a day. We are proactive and request the cabin be serviced twice daily. Our request has never been denied.

Yes its in circulation to the fleet , your required by Carnival to pay the same amount of tips.:rolleyes:

Not as long as passengers request twice a day service.

Some cabin stewards on some ship will offer once a day service.

We've never given a cabin steward the opportunity to offer service once a day. We are proactive and request the cabin be serviced twice daily. Our request has never been denied.

Not as long as passengers request twice a day service.

And who is going to tell them they can ? Surely not the Steward

Poking around here on CC, I've read it's in a trial phase on the Dream and the Splendor. This is one of those cutbacks that really bugs me. The Splendor will be in California prior to heading off to P&O, so if I want to sail on her I'll have to accept the once-daily cleaning thing. I hope we get a replacement ship that doesn't have this program in place.

How do you know those people on Dream and Splendor didn't realize they could ask for twice daily service? Not many people research nor read CC before they cruise so they just take what the cabin stewards offer.

We're sailing Splendor in eight and a half weeks. You can be sure that we'll request, and receive, twice daily cabin service.

Stargate, I'll be interested to hear about your experience on the Splendor. This is one of the ships where I'm reading the stewards really push back on the cleaning schedule. Carnival just gives them TOO MANY rooms to clean. It's ridiculous.

I will try my hardest to remember to post back when we return. (Early March.)

Mea culpa.

It's everyone's responsibility to learn as much as they can. If they don't, they have no right to complain.

Good answer, ;) The majority of cruisers that read here is like a speck of dust compared to the people that actually cruise.

Edited by BoDidly

We sailed Sunshine twice this year. No problem with service.

When we first meet the cabin steward we make it clear (nicely) we want the cabin serviced in the morning AND in the evening we just expect Ice, fresh towels and the program for the following day. Didn't have any problems seeing that done.

Yes its in circulation to the fleet , your required by Carnival to pay the same amount of tips.:rolleyes:

You're never required by Carnival to pay tips.

But I think you should be.

If a person feels short-changed in terms of service, then by all means cut back your tips. People do it all of the time.

You're never required by Carnival to pay tips.

But I think you should be.

If a person feels short-changed in terms of service, then by all means cut back your tips. People do it all of the time.

agreed, Tipping is not required. You can adjust as you see fit.

Edited by Coach Pedro

Hello we just sailed Carnival Victory last week 12/19 to 12/23 our first timers. The Stewart Renol asked us if we wanted a.m. or p.m., Then proceeded to tell us he was done @ 9 p.m. nightly. Really nice guy, we always take Clorox wipes and clean our own room anyway so all he really had to do was change the trash which we had trash bags and make the bed and replace used glassware all of 10 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Mea culpa.

It's everyone's responsibility to learn as much as they can. If they don't, they have no right to complain.

That's nonsense. Carnival advertises twice a day service and it should not be left to the stewards to see if they can get away with less. When we were just on the Splendor a couple of weeks ago we had 2 rooms. Our steward offered us nothing and only came once a day. We tracked him down on day two and asked to have our room cleaned twice daily. We also had to request robes as there were none, nor were any of our free drink vouchers pin etc. in the room. My daughter's steward asked her if she wanted am OR pm but I had warned her so she said she wanted both and he did so. No one should have to research all the ways they might get scammed on a cruise.

That's nonsense. Carnival advertises twice a day service and it should not be left to the stewards to see if they can get away with less. When we were just on the Splendor a couple of weeks ago we had 2 rooms. Our steward offered us nothing and only came once a day. We tracked him down on day two and asked to have our room cleaned twice daily. We also had to request robes as there were none, nor were any of our free drink vouchers pin etc. in the room. My daughter's steward asked her if she wanted am OR pm but I had warned her so she said she wanted both and he did so. No one should have to research all the ways they might get scammed on a cruise.

This is clearly a cabin attendant issue. I have been on a handful of cruises since the "Comfort Matters" concept was introduced. I was provided with the former form that didn't have "both" on it and was provided with one that did when they were revised. In all cases the steward clearly verbalized twice daily service was an option if I so chose.

One cruise I was with a group of over 30. Because we enjoy discussions such as these relating to "getting scammed", not one was told once per day was their offer. Different decks, different cabin types, different cabin occupancy and still the cabins were serviced twice a day.

Have people been told by their steward either-or? I bet on it. However, that's not Carnival's intent and obvious steps have been made to communicate that. Stewards still stating only once-a-day service is provided should be discussed with the head of housekeeping so that steward can be dealt with accordingly.

Like declining food quality, Faster to the Fun, staggered boarding (oops, I mean check in), and (gasp) tipping threads, this one here is a new hot-button topic that will rear it's head every few weeks when it's predecessor drops off the front page and things get stirred up again with "My sisters hairdressers cousin told her .... is this true?" It's entertaining to see the same people making the same arguments and defences over and over again with each new thread - some repeatedly and redundantly within the same thread.

This is clearly a cabin attendant issue. I have been on a handful of cruises since the "Comfort Matters" concept was introduced. I was provided with the former form that didn't have "both" on it and was provided with one that did when they were revised. In all cases the steward clearly verbalized twice daily service was an option if I so chose.

One cruise I was with a group of over 30. Because we enjoy discussions such as these relating to "getting scammed", not one was told once per day was their offer. Different decks, different cabin types, different cabin occupancy and still the cabins were serviced twice a day.

Have people been told by their steward either-or? I bet on it. However, that's not Carnival's intent and obvious steps have been made to communicate that. Stewards still stating only once-a-day service is provided should be discussed with the head of housekeeping so that steward can be dealt with accordingly.

Like declining food quality, Faster to the Fun, staggered boarding (oops, I mean check in), and (gasp) tipping threads, this one here is a new hot-button topic that will rear it's head every few weeks when it's predecessor drops off the front page and things get stirred up again with "My sisters hairdressers cousin told her .... is this true?" It's entertaining to see the same people making the same arguments and defences over and over again with each new thread - some repeatedly and redundantly within the same thread.

Even you will find yourself in the discussions every now and again :D

Edited by BoDidly

What is it that I'm not doing in my cabin such that I really don't see the need for it being services twice a day.

I admit I may be missing something. But I go to a lot of hotels and I have been on a number of cruises and I seem to be fine with my room being services once.

Please educate me.

What is it that I'm not doing in my cabin such that I really don't see the need for it being services twice a day.

I admit I may be missing something. But I go to a lot of hotels and I have been on a number of cruises and I seem to be fine with my room being services once.

Please educate me.

I'll volunteer! We like our cabin cleaned twice. In the morning and after showers our towels need to be replaced as they won't dry in the small confines of the bathroom with the humidity. We like evening service for the same reason after showering for dinner. The evening service doesn't have to take long...empty the trash and replace the towels. I don't care about towel animals and don't care if the bed is turn-downed.

If you just want one daily servicing you can certainly advise your steward of that on the first day. If you want twice you shouldn't receive any push-back from the steward.

Edited by Cushing985

We were on the Liberty in September and were told they were going to roll out the cards with the morning, evening or both service in October. We sailed the Liberty again in November and sure enough the steward went to each cabin to ask. However, instead of showing people the cards, our steward asked, "What time do you want me to service the cabin?" The newbies across the hall had a long discussion and decided on 10 am. He then came to our cabin and I said, "Both morning and evening." His shoulders slumped! He then looked at his list and saw that I was Diamond and said, " Oh, that's why you know about it." I discussed this with both the housekeeping manager and GS manager. The stewards are supposed to ask if you want morning, evening or both, but obviously the lazy ones are not doing it.

Later in the cruise the steward came by and thanked us for keeping our cabin so neat. He said he had less work with twice a day service in our cabin than he had in many of the other cabins. We always peeked when walking down the hall and I did feel sorry for him. It looked like some people were trying out to be on Hoarders!

Please educate me.

People have many different reasons, but one major factor is the number of people sharing a very small room, much smaller than a hotel room. For those of us who cruise with 4 or 5 in one room, there are upper beds that the steward is supposed to put up during the day and down at night, and there isn't enough room to hang up all the wet towels and swimsuits, so an exchange of towels in the morning and evening is important. The tiny trash cans also tend to fill up, especially with all the flyer ads that I have to get rid of asap so we have counter space. And, kids tend to hide sand in their swimsuits and don't usually shower until they get back to the room. At the same time, we are paying much more in tips for the room than if there were only two guests sharing the room.

It also just feels nice to start the day with a cleaning and end the day with evening turndown service. This small luxury helped me fall in love with cruising.

As for those complaining about beating a dead horse, tell Carnival to train ALL their employees to offer every guest twice-a-day service and fire any stewards who refuse.

Edited by KatieCharlotte