Cheapo dad's trip report on Freedom of the Seas

harryfat1

So it definitely depends on the cruise and how many people book up certain times before they shut those times out.

That is probably true but we are talking about the Freedom and the two times I've had sailings booked in the past year, I booked MTD the day reservations opened and there were no times available after 6:30 or before 7:30PM (not related to others booking before me).

If you go into your cruise planner when reservation first open (typically 90+ days out) you will have many more choices (though typically 6:30-7:30 won't be available - that time range only available on the ship). As was mentioned, don't worry, many more reservations of time (not table) are available on the ship. If you don't want to worry about reservations, ask whoever booked your cruise to switch (or get on standby list) you to traditional (early or late) - and then you can reserve a table as well.:D

I'm really confused. If I have MTD, I still need to make a reservation to what time I want to eat? Can't I just show up? Like I would at a land restaurant (and maybe have to wait a few minutes for a table to open up.)

This will be our first RCI cruise.

I'm really confused. If I have MTD, I still need to make a reservation to what time I want to eat? Can't I just show up? Like I would at a land restaurant (and maybe have to wait a few minutes for a table to open up.)

You don't need to make reservations. You can just show up. Reservations just guarantee a spot at the specific time with no wait. Just like a land based restaurant.

-Sean

You do not need to make a reservation with MTD. Only if you want to. The first couple of times we made reservations for at least the first night and then just stopped by the desk on our way out to make a reservation for the next night. The last couple of trips however, we just winged it. yes, you will have a wait but it won't be bad. For night 1 expect the non reservation line to be quite long but in my experience it goes by quickly (at least on Allure it did).

How valuable is your time on board the ship and how do you feel about wanting for a table?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Forums mobile app

How valuable is your time on board the ship and how do you feel about wanting for a table?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Forums mobile app

My time on board is very valuable to me, which is why I want true MTD. I have no way of knowing what activities/shows are offered on which days, or which ones I will want to participate in. I don't know if I'm particularly hungry one day and want to eat early, or the other way around. We prefer to eat in the dining room. We want to be flexible when we eat. Heck, even at home there are some days we eat at 5:30 and others not until 8:00. We understand that perhaps the time we choose to eat the dining room may be busy. If the wait is too long we will go somewhere else without being angry.

I was just confused as to why people were making reservations and wondered if we have to in order to eat there.

Enjoying your writing style and unique commentary.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I couldn't agree more! I'm following this even though the only thing our upcoming trip has in common is it is an RCI cruise.

Keep up the great work, Harry!

It's time RC cruiser here - it seems very confusing. I apparently missed my opportunity to book shows on-line. So, how do I find out when they are offered and where do I go to make reservations once I am on the ship? I am sailing on Jan. 15 on Freedom.

It's time RC cruiser here - it seems very confusing. I apparently missed my opportunity to book shows on-line. So, how do I find out when they are offered and where do I go to make reservations once I am on the ship? I am sailing on Jan. 15 on Freedom.

There are no shows to book online for the Freedom. Only for the Oasis class ships.

You just show up at the various show time for the shows on the Freedom

So enjoying another cruise with "Cheapo Dad" and his beautiful family!

Hi, Maggie,

Thank you for following along another trip report and the compliment for the family. Two years removed from last Allure trip report - the boys are getting taller and I’m getting older and grumpier.

Harry, speaking of the secret menu, on our recent cruse we became regulars in the Windjammer, one night a crew member ask how everything was going and I said "good but what happen to the chicken wings?", five minutes I had a plate of tasty chicken wings!

James,

P.S. As for the late night posts, I'm a retired CPA that has turned into a night owl.

Ah, fellow CPA cruiser. Love it.

So do you change your hours while on the cruise? Do you hang out at the dance club at 2 AM on the ship?

We LOVED the promenade rooms on Freedom! We turned the window sofa around to face out and our daughter (who was 3 1/2 at the time) insisted on sleeping there. :)

Some people complained about the noise, but we didn't notice it at all.

As always, loving your reviews and the amazing pictures of our favorite ship.

Thanks for the compliment.

Our first experience with the RP cabins was back on the Mariner years ago sailing out of LA. The kids were smaller back then and I thought it would be easier for them to watch the aorade from the balcony than over some big guy’s shoulders.

During our sailing, we saw several families with kids looking out from their RP cabins during the 70’s street party. Good place to be for little ones. They can be in their PJs and go to sleep right after the dance (or during). Depending on where the cabin is, you might hear/feel the bass from the music when they are cranking the music up during the Y-M-C-A party but the party doesn’t last very long or late.

......(and you folks thought day 1 trip report would never end)

If only Day 1 actually lasts this long on the day itself :D Now, that would be awesome!!

For me, day 1 of the cruise is the best as you are finally there after months of planning and seeing all the places for the first time is great. I also wanted to show the newbie cruisers that they can get to WJ early and avoid the later crowd.

That's why I pounded out day 1 with lots of detail and time stamps. The rest of the trip report won't be as intense or detailed.

Harry, enjoying your continued report. Especially liking your pictures. As I sit here at my desk, I look up and what do I see? The picture of me, mom, both boys and my older son's GF and best friends, who joined us on Freedom in August 2015 (just before they started their senior year in HS), standing on the bridge on formal night.

I love that picture. It always makes me smile to see it and I love seeing that spot in other reports.

Hi, Janet,

Thank you for the kind words.

After the cruise is over and all the suitcases haves been put away, the only thing left are the bills to be paid and the photos we have from the cruise. So it’s a good feeling to see a picture that trigger a fond memory from the past.

Enjoying your writing style and unique commentary.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the compliment – I think (hope). Typically when people get a bad haircut or an ugly sweater for Christmas, the feedback is, “Oh, it’ not too bad. It’s unique and different and the orange sweater looks very nice…”

I couldn't agree more! I'm following this even though the only thing our upcoming trip has in common is it is an RCI cruise.

Keep up the great work, Harry!

Hi,

Thanks for following along and your compliment (I hope - see above).

Even though it may be a different ship, but the food should be pretty similar as it should be fleet wide with at most some small modifications here and there. And the RP will look similar so you can have some idea on what you will see on the Adventure of the Sea. Also the 70's dance party and Belly Flop contest (soon to be posted) is the same as well.

I saw there was a discussion on the dining room thing earlier today, I assume that’s been resolved so unless there is a follow up question, I won’t comment on it and keep moving forward.

After breakfast, headed for another port talk to see if there’s any updates on where the ship will dock on day 5. Nope. The guy is still saying we are docking in downtown while Rhapsody and Harmony taking over the International Pier. Shrug, it is what it is. We will make it work somehow.

More sales pitch

31740103720_ac037b48a9_b.jpg

I did come within 1 number to win some prize at the raffle drawing. At the Mariner sailing few years back, at these port talk shows, I won a couples massage prize. But that’s pretty useless for me – it’s like a Vegan winning a dinner at the steak house…

We headed for top deck and it was getting pretty toasty. The daily compass weather forecast predicted it could be 88 degrees. That’s pretty hot for mid-December.

The pool area on the first sea day is typically is packed with all the people coming from the cold regions trying to thaw out. Also a lot of people getting a bit too much sun and looking lobster red by the afternoon. The smell of suntan lotion was all over the top deck area everywhere you went.

Made our way to the Flowrider in the back of the ship

32115163025_c61247ca6f_b.jpg

31739896200_ec7c8158e2_b.jpg

31739893090_ba66657627_b.jpg

31997008571_dbc7df3771_b.jpg

31966782152_92da7c5351_b.jpg

I totally agree with what you said about the "Secret" menu should not be secret, ridiculous, but thanks everyone about the secret menu tips - any others I should know about?

Was your stateroom ever noisy? We had a Boardwalk Balcony on Oasis for the first time in Sept and I don't think we would book it again due to the noise from it - we haven't been assigned our stateroom for our next cruise on Jan 21st yet, watch me get the noisiest room available lol

Kiddie pool area – this time with actual kiddies

31305080243_ee3737cdc5_b.jpg

32115101375_a69680ab89_b.jpg

With the Belly Fop contest due to start at 12:15, we made our way out to the pool area and camped out for a good photo opt spot

The contestants are signing up prior to the event.

31739833500_247dbfab3f_b.jpg

Since we have some new cruisers reading this, I will go over briefly how the belly flop thing works. They have cruisers go and try to do a belly flop in the pool and the viewing audience judges them on scale of 1 to 5 (higher number the better). On the Allure 2 years ago, each contestant only made 1 jump each. On our sailing, they had 2 different jumps- from regular position and the other from the box. Whoever has the highest audience scoring vote is the winner.

Pool area before the contest

31997243341_35f13d3aac_b.jpg

31274145654_c3fc025d6c_b.jpg

For you newbies that don’t know where to stand or be nearby, look for the ship board video person. She has the best spot scoped out at least 30 minutes before so if you are close to her, you have a good view

31996947711_1381b4ae15_b.jpg

A lot of people getting ready for this

31996924331_6bf7d2f3c3_b.jpg

31966666832_ee104a9e0e_b.jpg

HUGE line for the ice cream machine giving the heat

31997228541_bb64c55287_b.jpg

Got to fill her up

32115041575_48c0585a23_b.jpg[/url]