Miami Dilema

irie0518

We are cruising out of Miami in a couple of weeks. We will be driving down from Tampa the day before. I am trying to decide whether to do a cruise and stay package with one of the hotels or to just book one night stay and drive and park at the port. Any one have pro's and cons to each of these? I have never parked at the port there so don't know how easy it is to navigate. Looks like there might be some cheaper lots a bit farther away. We are open to any suggestions. I am leaning toward just booking one night stay and driving to the port. To me the pros of this are we have more flexibility as to when we go to the port. From past experience with cruise and stay is sometimes their shuttles only go at certain times. We are hoping to board early as we are platinum. The other pro is that after the cruise we can just get the car and be on our way. So unless parking at the port is a nightmare that is probably what we will do. Also if anyone has recommendations at to any of the other lots than POM parking we would appreciate that as well. Thanks for any input.

Find a hotel you'd enjoy staying at, one that has good restaurants within safe walking distance and park at the port.

Off port lots are sketchy and you have about a 50/50 shot of your car being damaged/vandalized/driven without your consent.

Park and stay hotels are way out by the airport and require a lengthy, expensive cab ride back to the hotel to get your car. Also, you have a good chance of your car being disturbed while parked. The airport is a crappy, high crime area.

Good luck whatever you decide!!

Edited by BlueHerons

None of the park and stay hotels offers a shuttle back to your car - so add a $30 cab to your budget.

Parking at POM is covered, convenient and secure - but costs $20/day :(

Since you are coming from Tampa another option is two one-way car rentals. You can likely cover gas and rentals for les than the cost of parking at POM! National, Alamo and Thrifty (and maybe Enterprise) offer free shuttles from their MIA airport location to/from POM. If you get a deal with another agency at MIA a taxi to/from the port is $27+tip. Hertz, Avis and others have downtown Miami locations close to POM ($10-12+ cab ride).

Edited by JohninDC

Check out the cost of renting a car from a neighborhood location in Tampa, drop at MIA and take the POM shuttle. Alamo, Enterprise, National and a couple others participate in the free shuttle. On the return, take the same rental car shuttle to MIA, pick up a car and drop it in Tampa. Of course, if Enterprise has a good rate keep in mind they will pick you up and drop you off in Tampa.

Edited by Lido_Deck

A quick check of Enterprises rates (pick up 1/14, return 1/15) I found a special rate on a compact SUV for $52.69 total, but it's at TPA and that would eliminate a pick up by them.

On the return MIA-TPA I get $56.53 for an Economy Car. All of the Enterprise neighborhood locations I checked were about $90 higher.

Maybe one of the other companies will have a good rate from a convenient neighborhood locations.

Other than the rental car option, I would say park at the port. Its extremely easy to navigate, safe, and covered. It is $20.00 a day, not cheap, but not crazy expensive either. The lots are right across the street from the cruise terminals.

Edited by Flymia