Have you cruised the Med in August? would like your feedback

tings66

Hello fellow cruisers. Hubby and I have cruised the Med twice before with Celebrity but both times were in mid to late May. A few months ago I snagged what I think was a great deal for the July 31st, 2017 Reflection sailing out of Rome. Total including taxes for both hubby and I was $4200.00 canadian dollars and it's an Aqua Class (A2) verandah. We're hearing some negative feedback about the heat/humidity at this time of year and now we are second guessing if we should go. Can't do May or the Fall this year due to work commitments. Is it really that bad? I am 50, hubby 57--we are fairly active and like to walk a lot. I know everyone is different in how they react to high temps but looking to hear from fellow cruisers on their experiences. Hate to let this deal go :)

Hello fellow cruisers. Hubby and I have cruised the Med twice before with Celebrity but both times were in mid to late May. A few months ago I snagged what I think was a great deal for the July 31st, 2017 Reflection sailing out of Rome. Total including taxes for both hubby and I was $4200.00 canadian dollars and it's an Aqua Class (A2) verandah. We're hearing some negative feedback about the heat/humidity at this time of year and now we are second guessing if we should go. Can't do May or the Fall this year due to work commitments. Is it really that bad? I am 50, hubby 57--we are fairly active and like to walk a lot. I know everyone is different in how they react to high temps but looking to hear from fellow cruisers on their experiences. Hate to let this deal go :)

We always have to go to the Med in August for our main holiday and we just love the weather. Then again, coming from the UK we need every bit of sunshine we can get. We are a similar age to you and we had no issues last August walking throughout the day in any port we stayed in and it was lovely in the evening to be able to return to the balcony and just relax with a drink watching the moon over the sea. We've also done Israel this time of the year and enjoyed that as well. Just make sure that you take some good bottle carriers and drink lots / stay in the shade if you need to.

It can be hot on deck on sea days but the solarium is a great place to relax if you want some shade. I really would not hesitate and am jealous. Any questions about the ports please ask as we have probably done a similar cruise on the Silhouette. :)

PS Just worked out the cost in British Pounds --- wow! I wouldn't even hesitate !!

Edited by Presto2

We have cruised during August in 2013. Except it we were on an East Med and Greek islands cruise. It was very hot, but we had a good sea breeze throughout the cruise, which cooled it down. The hottest place was Rhodes Town and I think that was due to the closeness of some of the buildings. We like to walk a lot and enjoy the sights.

One thing that can be guaranteed about the Med, is that the weather cannot be guaranteed. I have been to Spain in August and Majorca and both times we had quite a few days of rain or it was overcast.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We've done the Med a couple of times in August. Definitely warm but not that bad (IMHO). Like anything, dress and plan for the hot weather and you'll be OK. Be sure to leave the ship with lots of water.

In 2009 we did an 11 night cruise in the Eastern Med (Italy, Turkey, Greece and a few Greek islands).

We travelled the last few days in July and the 1st week in August. The only place I remember the heat being an issue was Istanbul and Turkey (some days over 100 degrees). We had a large group that ranged in age from 9 years old to 88.

Even the eldest was able to navigate the excursions.

Sun protection (hats, sunglasses and sunscreen) is a must. The hat vendor was doing a thriving business. Stay hydrated.

Edited by CruisinNewb

We have cruised on Celebrity in the Med last two years, end of July and August.

Aqua class and Suite, Cabin type didn't make a difference, heat wise.

It will be hot, it is worth going, and will do it again without hesitation.

Mirage

We were on the Constellation last August, it was a bit hot but we like hot and never had a problem in fact we are planning another cruise there in 2018. In our line of work we can only get away in August so it works for us, a bigger downside is the price is higher and a bit more busy. It was our best cruise to date. Go for it you will have a great time.

We cruised the Spanish Med for my 50th in august 2010

Had the 2 teenagers with us , and we had a lovely time

Yes it's hot and sunny , but like Presto above , we're from the UK , usually desperate for some hot sunshine !

Took my first European cruise in the Mediterranean in August (back in 2007). Didn't find the humidity too bad except in Venice. Temperatures on the other hand were off the charts. It hit 100 degrees in Dubrovnik and Athens and 90's in Olympia, Corfu and Ephesus. We walked the walls in Dubrovnik first thing in the morning on a tour and it was still brutal. An older gentleman in our group actually collapsed during the tour. We visited the Greek Isles as part of the cruise and temps were better there because of ocean breezes. But wind is also a problem if cruising the Greek Isles. The Meltemi Winds are at their peak at that time which can create a lot of chop in the water. You may miss a port if it's too windy to enter the harbor. That happened to us at Rhodes. The other factor is this is peak travel time for families so tourist sites everywhere are normally crowded. Although Greece has seen a downturn in tourism in the past few years so it may not be as crowded as when I went.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

August will certainly be hot. In Italy, a lot of stores and restaurants may be closed for ferragosto, a traditional time for holiday. We cruised in August and did a land based tour as well. Despite this, we had a great time. Enjoy your trip.

Our first cruise was in the Med in August. It was REALLY hot, and I really feel the heat (I like it, but I also suffer in it - if you know what you mean?) but being able to come back to the ship, and cool down made it completely bearable.

Common sense stuff like a good hat, cool loose clothing, excellent hydration etc.

We did 12 day Rome ,Naples,Venice,Malta,Montanego and Dubrovnic in 2012 Aug. every port 95 degrees , humidity. Bring hat, Italian cities crowded, lots people selling junk. If I were to go again middle of Sept. I was 70 yrs old.

conditioned air does not mean Air Conditioning