Global Entry Port Everglades Terminal 21?

5280mom

...the fact remains that for the vast majority of people, when your cursing and leaving the US and not returning on the cruise you're most likely going to need the passport book and not the card...
I totally agree with that statement. I'm GUESSING that is why the Canadian Immigration Officer immediately asked the cruiser if he had a Passport Book. IMO the Immigration Officer's first question upon being presented a US Passport Card should have been "How are you returning to the US?" and finding out, to no surprise, that it would be an air return, then asked for the Passport Book. I think it is highly likely that if a return by surface could have been documented (eg a train ticket), the Immigration Officer would have accepted the Passport Card.

Passport Cards and Enhanced Driver's Licenses which allow surface entry into the US came about through the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) which is why it only applies to certain countries (Canada, Mexico and specified islands in the Caribbean and Western Atlantic).

Happy Sails

Thom

I totally agree with that statement. I'm GUESSING that is why the Canadian Immigration Officer immediately asked the cruiser if he had a Passport Book. IMO the Immigration Officer's first question upon being presented a US Passport Card should have been "How are you returning to the US?" and finding out, to no surprise, that it would be an air return, then asked for the Passport Book. I think it is highly likely that if a return by surface could have been documented (eg a train ticket), the Immigration Officer would have accepted the Passport Card.

Passport Cards and Enhanced Driver's Licenses which allow surface entry into the US came about through the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) which is why it only applies to certain countries (Canada, Mexico and specified islands in the Caribbean and Western Atlantic).

Happy Sails

Thom

Very well could be, I guess they didn't want to have a US citizen stuck in Canada. Better to make it the cruise lines problem and deny entry than theirs? lol

It's a great program especially for those that cross the border often (by land) for business or pleasure. Nice to have a card in the wallet vs hassling with a passport book because there is no easy way to carry one of those!

Sorry, I don't think it is true that a Passport Book is required for entry of a US citizen into Canada when traveling by sea. Unless you can provide sources supporting your statement, I'm not believing it.

Believe it. The source is ME. It happened to me, and it was not an individual person, but Canada Immigration. You can NOT enter Canada via sea with a U. S. passport CARD. Period. Use your book, even though it might be inconvenient if you are male, without a purse.

It's a great program especially for those that cross the border often (by land) for business or pleasure. Nice to have a card in the wallet vs hassling with a passport book because there is no easy way to carry one of those!

Fine for returning to U.S., but you need the book to go INTO Canada.

Thom

That's not what happened. The agent specifically stated that the card was NOT valid for entry to Canada.

That's not what happened. The agent specifically stated that the card was NOT valid for entry to Canada.

The U.S. State Department web site would seem to agree with you - the card is only valid for land or seaport entry INTO THE U.S. (not vice versa) from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda.

Edited by joepeka