OH NO! Another Epic Trip Report w/pics

Oakman58

The avatar is from our trip to the Caymens - I enjoyed stingrays while DH did bike ride and went to hell (LOL) YIkes no sign don't worry I will keep an eye on DH since there is no sign.;)

Many years ago we visited Hell and my wife had preprinted mailing labels before our cruise so we could mail a few friends and family post cards. It's not everyday you get a post card from Hell.

Okay, I have to ask. Whatever made you try a different card in the slot? It's a great idea (I forget too), but I never would have thought to try another card.

On my last cruise I just folded up a piece of paper and stuck it in the slot and that worked fine. But if you leave it in the slot, the cabin steward will think you are in the room and not try to come in and clean the room.

Other than the two show and restaurants is there anything else that we need to book in advance?

Thanks

You've got the important stuff covered. Reservations were recommended for a comedy show in the Headliners Comedy Club a couple of nights. You'll have to wait until your onboard to make a reservation for that show.

Howl at the Moon was first come first served and no reservations.

Hi everyone! I'll be cruising for my first time on the epic this Saturday. My DH and I have been on the Getaway, breakaway and the Escape. Each time we cruised to the eastern Caribbean. This will be our first cruise to the western Caribbean and we're very excited :)) I was wondering if any of you could tell me if the parties at h20 are the same as they have on the other ships. The white party turned into the glow party so ppl wore neon and white. They also had an 70's and 80's party. We like to dress up a little silly for the different themes. If anyone could let me know the themes they experienced on the epic it would make my packing job much easier :p also if anyone has any advice on excursions at our ports of call I'd appreciate that very much too :) we'll be cruising to Cozumel, Ocho Rios, George Town and Great Stirrup Cay.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Okay, I have to ask. Whatever made you try a different card in the slot? It's a great idea (I forget too), but I never would have thought to try another card.

Once upon a time, shorty after the Epic came to be, someone posted they used their AARP card. :)

Great review and have to say it was same thing for our group of six we thought Priscilla has to be one of the best cruise show we have attended.

Thanks again for the review

Eric

December 12th Second Sea Day Continued

We ate an early lunch in the buffet and then met up with J & M who were already on the loungers by the pool. There was a strange elevated area with loungers that I never did understand. It reminded me of the elevated area on a city transit where the wheel wells extend into the passenger area. Perhaps the Epic was equipped with paddlewheels in case the diesel engines failed. It was certainly a high step up to the loungers on that elevated area.

votohe.jpg

One of the scheduled activities in the Atrium was Chinese lessons at 1 PM. My wife and I will be visiting China in March so J & M decided to join us and sit in on the lessons. The four of us headed down early so we could get a seat close enough to see the entire big screen in the Atrium.

eqyolj.jpg

After becoming fluent in Madarin Chinese, at least in saying hello and goodbye, we headed back up to the pool deck to enjoy an adult beverage and the warm weather. It was crowded so we ordered our drinks at the Waves Bar rather than wait for a server.

The bands by the pool as well as the DJ played some great tunes. For that matter, I thought all of the bands and musicians on the Epic were excellent. The cruise staff did a good job getting folks involved in the poolside activities. I think it’s interesting when they have dance lessons by the pool it’s always the women who join in and very few men. It really should be the opposite because most men (including myself) can’t dance worth a hoot.

2czd2y9.jpg

After our drink we headed back to our cabin to rest up a bit before meeting up with J & M again at 5 PM in O’Sheehan’s for appetizers. We would be eating dinner later than we normally do because we had 7 PM reservations to see Priscilla Queen of the Desert. I ordered the chicken wings which are very small with a mild hot sauce but very, very good. The two celery sticks that came with the wings were laughable.

2ey8exj.jpg

Although we had reservations for the show that only got you into the theater, it was still open seating. We wanted to be sure to sit together so we were in line before the doors opened.

EDITORIAL NOTE: When I booked this cruise I thought it would be a matter of more passengers…more and bigger venues. Not so! The Epic Theater had less seating than the Star, the Dawn, and the Jade that we had cruised on previously. I will say the seats in the Epic Theater were much more comfortable than those other ship.

29xiuy9.jpg

The theater seats were equipped with cup holders which was a nice touch. It was strange though, the cup holders had a slight tilt forward. If you ordered a drink that came in a long stem glass like a martini and put it in the cup holder, the liquid would spill out.

Priscilla was the best stage production I have ever seen on a cruise ship. The costuming was outstanding, the songs were great, and the entire cast was excellent. There was one scene with ping pong balls that had me in stitches. If you’re going to cruise on the Epic make a point of seeing Priscilla.

WARNING: Priscilla is an adult themed production. The basic story is three drag queens travelling in their bus through the Australian Outback to do a show in a small resort town in the desert. During the show the “F” bomb is dropped so be forewarned. Twice before the performance began an announcement was made that the show was adult and it wasn’t for those easily offended. Even so, some people walked out.

After the show we ate dinner at the Taste Restaurant. During our cruise we never experienced bad service in any of the restaurants.

After dinner we headed back to our cabin and called it a night. This was our towel animal that night.

2wqbjgj.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Then you where lucky O'Sheehan's was the place to get hot breakfast. The food at other times was good but they brought the entree before I had finished the appetiser and once before I had got it. The food in the other resteraunt so was ok but the last breakfast I had in taste had stone cold poached eggs. The decline in food quality and service is enough to make me try another cruise line and not return to ncl.

We did the Epic Trans-Atlantic last Nov. Now I have a very biased view as I was able to snag a Haven up-sell at exactly 30 days before the cruise.

The Haven will spoil you on so many levels. But we did get out and explore the ship a lot.

We really enjoyed the noddle bar and O'Sheehan's. The cabbage soup was the best.

Only during show exit did we feel the size of the ship and the number of guests. But, we were on vacation and not in a big hurry.

We never had bad service anywhere. I thought all were nice to deal with. We always started the conversation with a smile and always got one back.

But deck 18 Posh area was the best spot on the ship. It was included with the Haven, but you could buy a pass also. We met several people that did that.

I would cruise the Epic again, and I hope I get the chance again soon.

I thought I would add a few more pictures that I didn’t include in my report. I’m doing this hoping it will take my mind off the appointment I have with the dentist this morning.

Here’s a view looking straight down from our balcony. Our cabin was 10075.

2a8nb84.jpg

I took a picture of the bridge before I saw the sign “No Photography.” Oops! Oh well, I had already taken the picture and we didn’t run aground so all was good.

2mfgqw2.jpg

As I was going through my photos of our Stingray excursion I discovered a couple of them had a remora fish swimming with the ray. The remora can be seen at the rear of the ray.

slsosi.jpg

I complained about the wait for elevators in my report and I wasn’t the only one unhappy. I was waiting on an elevator one day when I saw a little old lady hobbling down the steps. The down elevator was just two decks away so I told her the elevator would be here shortly. With a strong wave of her arm as if brushing me off she expressed her displeasure with the elevators and continued going down. I had to chuckle my agreement.

67nqld.jpg

Edited by Oakman58

You take great photo's. What type of camera do you use?

Thank you for the very nice comment about my pictures. I use a Canon SX160is because it takes decent pictures and has many of the features I want in a small package, such as long zoom, manual controls and good image stabilization. I’m 71 years old and my hands aren’t as steady as they used to be so a camera with good images stabilization helps.

The underwater pictures were taken with a cheap Nikon Coolpix S33. It takes good pictures underwater if the sun is shining. I’d love to have a better underwater camera but I don’t snorkel often enough to justify the cost of a better one.

A few of the photos were taken with my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge smartphone. I really like the pictures that come from this smartphone.

Great Stirrup Cay is an excellent place to do Stingray City because it’s NCL’s private island. It will only be NCL passengers on the excursion so smaller numbers of people interacting with the rays. I hope you get the chance to do another Stingray excursion in the near future Linda.

It could be my imagination but some of the rays seemed to enjoy rubbing the legs of people with their pectoral fins (wings) as they swam by. When we first entered the water this really freaked out a few folks.

Our tour guides were excellent and as I said in my report, they made sure that everyone had the opportunity to hold one and also feed one.

One of the other passengers found a huge starfish while snorkeling in the Stingray area too.

2607f3k.jpg

Edited by Oakman58

Oakman58...thanks for taking us along on your Cruise.

More, bravo,encore, [emoji122] pleeese

I love your review. X

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you both. I'm already researching cruises for late this year or early next year. By doing these trip reports it forces me to expand on my notes and write down my memories. The reports and photos are a great way to remember vacations from years past.

Great Stirrup Cay is an excellent place to do Stingray City because it’s NCL’s private island. It will only be NCL passengers on the excursion so smaller numbers of people interacting with the rays. I hope you get the chance to do another Stingray excursion in the near future Linda.

It could be my imagination but some of the rays seemed to enjoy rubbing the legs of people with their pectoral fins (wings) as they swam by. When we first entered the water this really freaked out a few folks.

Our tour guides were excellent and as I said in my report, they made sure that everyone had the opportunity to hold one and also feed one.

One of the other passengers found a huge starfish while snorkeling in the Stingray area too.

2607f3k.jpg

I hope I do as well. I loved the vacuum feel on my hand when feeding them and that is seriously all I talked about forever..ok I still do. Nope not your imagination. I am no aquatic behaviorist but I think they might be saying hello and putting something that identifies you as a friend on you kind of like cats. Yep I loved that too! I have a land vacation planned for 2018 but 2019 we might do the Caribbean again.

Well no Deck 19 for my DH. The last time on the Epic there was a sign that said "swimsuit or clothing optional" by the stairs leading up from Posh area. Since the DH will not be far from the Posh bar area I think I am safe from him seeing "a lady".

Loved all of the review. By the way did you see my avatar?

Can you only use the sun deck on 18 and 19 if you have the posh pass or can anyone use it? Thanks!