Ruby Princess Gastro Pub and sauna question

rickcherryb

Can anyone tell me if the Ruby Princess has the Gastro Pub onboard, I heard they had great hamburgers? Also, are the steam and sauna rooms free, or is there an extra charge? Thanks

We were on the Ruby last winter and they had the Gastro Pub. I can't comment on the burgers or other offerings since we did not eat there.

We were on the Ruby last winter and they had the Gastro Pub. I can't comment on the burgers or other offerings since we did not eat there.

We ate at the Salty Dog on the Ruby last month. Here is an excerpt from my journal about the first visit:

"Tonight is formal night which we decided not to attend. Hence, we tried out the new Salty Dog Gastropub for dinner. This is a section of the Wheelhouse Lounge and is $19 per person. It included an appetizer, three choices of gourmet plates and a dessert. Not a lot of food but certainly filling enough and again, everything was unique and flavorful. Again, I will post the pictures once we are on land with good internet. But here's what I can remember....appetizer was Ernesto' Dip Sticks...long skinny crunchy bread sticks for dipping into a tiny pot of beer-cheddar fondue. This might have been my favorite of the night. My three choices were Maryland style jumbo lump crabcake, lobster Mac and cheese and the Ernesto hamburger (fresh ground rib eye and short rib patty with grilled pork belly, aged Gruyere, caramelized kimchi, charred onion aioli on a smoked salt and pepper brioche bun). It was a small bun but the whole thing was at least 6 inches tall.....it took the two of us to eat it (and lots of napkins). Wilbur's choices were spicy stout beef short ribs, stout roasted heirloom beets (didn't know there was such a thing) and pale ale pork cheeks. These came with your choice of truffle-Parmesan or sweet potato fries (we got both and the truffle-Parmesan fries were out of this world). For dessert, Wil had lemon posset (tart) and I had bourbon chocolate pot de creme topped with salted caramel popcorn....WOW...it had a lot of bourbon in it 😳. Now, don't forget....these were little servings so we were not piggies."

And this is from our second visit on that same cruise:

"Wilbur wanted to return to the Salty Dog for dinner tonight.....he wanted to try the other items on the menu. We were able to get 6:00 reservations. I say that tongue in cheek because we were the only ones in the place and their reservations list was just about empty. I have never seen more than three parties in there at any one time. Anyway, we started out with the crunchy thin sticks and cheese fondue and the Parmesan crusted fries with three different dipping sauces (all pretty good). Then we had wild caught calamari frites, charred asparagus and toasted haloumi cheese, ementhal and Gruyere grilled cheese sandwich with creamed white tomato soup, beef short rib poutine, lobster Mac and cheese, and the famous Ernesto hamburger. For dessert, Wil had the lemon posset again while I tried the strawberries and cream ricotta with honeycomb crisps. Remember that these are small bites but was still too much for us. This would be a fun place with a group of friends where you could order everything and share."

As for the hamburger....it was not a big hamburger, but awfully high and hard to eat.

It looks like there are these two restaurants on the Ruby, Bayou Café & Share.

Can anyone give me any information about them.

We always try to go to the Crown Grill, and are interested in trying something new in addition.

I assume there is an added charge, but any info will be helpful for our anniversary cruise,

Mexican Riviera, 2/18 for 7 nights

Thank You, Jeanne

The Salty Dog Gastropub is in the Wheelhouse Bar. We Loved it and tried to get in a second time but couldn't make it. The concept is elevated pub food in tasting portions meant for sharing. For $19 you get the beer cheese and pretzel starter, then 3 plates per person and dessert. While we didn't have the recommended burger, we really enjoyed the white tomato soup with grilled cheese, the calamari, and the short ribs. The only plate we didn't enjoy was the crab cake. The Salty dog was very busy on our cruise and we couldn't get reservations until almost 9pm. It doesn't seem popular here with the CC crowd, but I heard many positive comments about it on our cruise. But if you are a traditional meat and potatoes eater this may not be for you.

As someone else pointed out, two specialty restaurants on Ruby, Crown Grill and SHARE. Salty Dog is a "pop-up", hosted inside the Wheelhouse Bar. Likewise, Crab Shack is a "pop-up", hosted inside the Horizon Court.