Feels like I'm new to cruising...

tntutter

Our last cruise was in 2007, and so much has changed. Can someone let us know what has changed, IE are there still formal nights in the dining room, has the attire requirement changed in the dining room, they don't have the shows in the theater anymore? etc. I am looking into booking one for October and would just like to know how Carnival is different now :)

Many thanks!

Tracy Utter

Our last cruise was in 2007, and so much has changed. Can someone let us know what has changed, IE are there still formal nights in the dining room, has the attire requirement changed in the dining room, they don't have the shows in the theater anymore? etc. I am looking into booking one for October and would just like to know how Carnival is different now :)

Many thanks!

Tracy Utter

My first cruise was in 2005. There are not a lot of what I consider SIGNIFICANT changes. Lots of little nit-picky things. Yes, they still have formal nights but some folks balk at dressing properly and try to wear casual clothes. This upsets some diners, and causes arguments when Carnival does not enforce the dress code.

They still have shows, but they seem very watered down compared to the shows I saw on the Valor when she was new. Like 8 dancers lip-singing to recorded music. Most shows are not worth the wait to get in.

Some feel the food quality has dropped. However, with the new options on most ships now, I have never had a problem finding something delicious to eat.

The steel bands are gone from the lido, replaced with a D.J. No smoking on balconies any more.

The staff is spread a little thin now, but they still do an amazing job. May not get the full time personal attention from them you may remember, but they do their best. You may need to ASK for ice in your cabin instead of just expecting it there.

Overall, when I look back at my first cruise and compare it to my latest, things have not changed drastically.

Book with confidence and enjoy your cruise.

Jim

Many thanks!

Tracy Utter

No they do have "formal" nights anymore. They are now called "elegant" nights.

For men all that is required are dress pants and a collared shirt.

Bill

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the info. I wouldn't be able to tell if quality of food went down, some nights in the dining room I ordered a hamburger because I didn't like what was on menu. Can shorts be worn in dining room, or should that attire stay in the other dining options? I really don't want to even bring business casual clothes just to eat Should I book online myself, or use a travel agent, or use carnival's phone number? I read about drink something or other, don't need soda, but we will both be drinking alcohol, worth getting the card? I have so much to learn!

Drink packages are available, which is great and totally worth it for us. Some things on the Room Service menu cost money, but there are still free (or should I say included in your cruise fare) items. The MDR does not use table cloths on non-formal nights, but who cares. There are new menus. I haven't tried them yet, but considering every Carnival cruise I went on had the same menus I am looking forward to the change! Some ships now have additional dining venues that cost additional fees (rather than just the steakhouse on some ships) but there are so many included options you do not need to use the venues if you do not want.

Cruising is still a very affordable vacation. I pay extra for some things, but I have a friend who cruises at least once a year, gets an inside cabin and never pays for anything additional and still has a wonderful time!

Enjoy your cruise!

Shorts are allowed in the dining room on any night but elegant night.

Photographers still take pictures... but instead of printing them out and wasting them they take your cabin number, you review them on an ipad in the photo area and decide which ones you want to buy, and they print them for you.

Some ships are now charging for some dinner venues- there's a steakhouse on many of the ships- $35 pp for a high quality steak dinner... some ships have sushi or Italian restaurants that charge a nominal fee- $10-15 pp.

Gratuities are now $12.95 pp per day (much higher than the last time you cruised).

There's an option called Faster to the Fun (FTTF) that costs $49 per CABIN (not per person, remember!) and it gets you priority boarding, right after platinums and wedding parties... also priority tendering in some ports, plus priority line at Guest Services... well worth it to some, not at all for others. I personally won't sail without it if I can help it. It can be found under Excursions, and they only sell a certain number at a time, so you have to look for it fairly often til you find it. Then don't delay- buy it right away!

Enjoy your cruise!

Shorts are allowed in the dining room on any night but elegant night.

Photographers still take pictures... but instead of printing them out and wasting them they take your cabin number, you review them on an ipad in the photo area and decide which ones you want to buy, and they print them for you.

Some ships are now charging for some dinner venues- there's a steakhouse on many of the ships- $35 pp for a high quality steak dinner... some ships have sushi or Italian restaurants that charge a nominal fee- $10-15 pp.

Gratuities are now $12.95 pp per day (much higher than the last time you cruised).

There's an option called Faster to the Fun (FTTF) that costs $49 per CABIN (not per person, remember!) and it gets you priority boarding, right after platinums and wedding parties... also priority tendering in some ports, plus priority line at Guest Services... well worth it to some, not at all for others. I personally won't sail without it if I can help it. It can be found under Excursions, and they only sell a certain number at a time, so you have to look for it fairly often til you find it. Then don't delay- buy it right away!

Enjoy your cruise!

Most ships are still printing out the pictures and wasting paper .

I was going to say the same thing. I believe the Vista is the one, or one of the few, that has gone digital. And a great idea!!

We also had cruised in 206 & 2007, then didn't go again until last year and we really didn't notice much of any changes. We're not picky, I'm not there for the finest dining or gourmet food, I like more simple things. But we all enjoyed our meals. We liked the different options we had on the Magic in November (Guys, Pig & Anchor, etc...). I do feel the dress code has become more lax over the years. I used to take ball gowns, but not anymore. I bring nicer dresses still, things I'd wear to an evening wedding, my husband & son will wear a shirt & tie as well. But the other nights it's even less dressy than before.

The whole purpose of a cruise for us, for the most part, is to get away from our busy schedules, enjoy some nice weather (we're in the cold in November, which is when we've normally cruised), kick back on a pool deck or beach, and just unwind.

Thanks for all the replies/info! When we cruise we don't expect fancy food either...I'd rather eat on the lido deck in my shorts and tshirts :) I do see that they have some more different dining options though, like pasta and bbq, most likely we'll eat at those places. We did enjoy all the activities on at sea days, like trivia, newlywed game etc, do they still do that kind of stuff?

Keep the info coming, I'm learning lots!!!

Cool- thanks for the correction... I just booked my cruise today on the Breeze, but I've been reading so many Vista reviews that I guess I just got confused and thought it was on all the ships now. It will be a good update when it's on all the ships, as printing all those pictures is ridiculous.

Cool- thanks for the correction... I just booked my cruise today on the Breeze, but I've been reading so many Vista reviews that I guess I just got confused and thought it was on all the ships now. It will be a good update when it's on all the ships, as printing all those pictures is ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

You're so right. :) Enjoy the Breeze !

Cool- thanks for the correction... I just booked my cruise today on the Breeze, but I've been reading so many Vista reviews that I guess I just got confused and thought it was on all the ships now. It will be a good update when it's on all the ships, as printing all those pictures is ridiculous.

Shaded Lady just to give you a heads up on FTTF. The price has increase.

Prices are subject to change and*may vary by ship. Faster to the Fun is subject to availability.

Prices starting from per stateroom:

$49.95 USD - 2 day and 3 day cruises

$49.95 USD - 4 day cruises (excluding Carnival Liberty, Carnival Paradise, Carnival Triumph and Carnival Victory)

$59.95 USD - 4 day cruises (Carnival Liberty, Carnival Paradise, Carnival Triumph and Carnival Victory)

$69.95 USD - 5 day cruises (excluding Carnival Sensation and Carnival Victory)

$59.95 USD - 5 day cruises (Carnival Sensation and Carnival Victory)

$69.95 USD - 6 day and 7 day cruises

$79.95 USD - 8 day cruises and longer

Just got off the Breeze. They are indeed still printing (and wasting paper) the photos.

Enjoy your cruise she is a beautiful ship

Another change that might be of interest. You are no longer allowed to bring bottles onboard. This includes plastic bottles. I think Watergate occurred in July of 2015. You can still bring on bottle of wine 750 ml per person over 21 and 12 can/carton/pouches of non alcoholic beverage (usually soda or juice). You can order water through the fun shop for $4.50 per 12 pack. (this recently increased from $3.99)

Lunch is no longer served in the MDR. I think that changed in 2012. On port days there is breakfast. On sea days Carnival offers Sea Day brunch.

No surge protectors on the multiple plug power strip.

You might want to check out Carnivals FAQ: My guess is you will find answers you didn't know you had questions about. That is not to say we aren't here for you. It would just be another source of information.