Which Itinerary

My wife and I are looking to cruise again, we have 5 cruises under our belts, one of them being Alaska's inside passage. Our first thought is a cruisetour (Alaska style) then I thought of the Panama Canal, and then my DW says "it your 50th what about A Mediterranean cruise?" I know in the end its "what do we like or want to do" just curious what seasoned CC friends are saying about these regions, thanks in advance.

We have done Panama as well as the Western Med. The two are totally different types of cruises. Both are amazing destinations for a multitude of reasons. Price, time of year such as high season or warm weather getaway, length of flights, and the amount of time that you can spare to travel etc are all determining factors that you should consider. The other thing to throw into the thought process is personal security. Yes, danger is around every corner but Europe has had more issues lately that can be considered concerning.

Having done both, personally I'd return to the Canal mainly because we haven't been there for a while. I would be curious to see the changes after the Canal expansion.

By any objective measure a Panama Canal cruise is vastly more dangerous than a European cruise. I am not trying to scare you away from Mexico/South America, but Europe is probably the safest place in the world to travel. The biggest risk of death and injury when travelling by far is car accidents. Granted the Med has higher rates than northern Europe but about on par with US rates.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

By any objective measure a Panama Canal cruise is vastly more dangerous than a European cruise. I am not trying to scare you away from Mexico/South America, but Europe is probably the safest place in the world to travel. The biggest risk of death and injury when travelling by far is car accidents. Granted the Med has higher rates than northern Europe but about on par with US rates.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Woah! That got very real, very fast. Lol

I'd say Med since you mentioned celebrating your 50th!

I've done both Panama Canal and various Mediterranean cruises. Personally I found Panama Canal to be underwhelming - more of a I've been there and experienced it. I'd definitely take one of the Med itineraries. I'm a pretty safety paranoid person and with the exception of Turkey and Tunisia, I feel comfortable with any of the other Med ports of call.

In addition, with the Mediterranean cruises you've got a lot of different options - itineraries, length of cruise, time of year which you don't get with the Panama Canal cruises.

Any thought adding the Northern Europe/Baltic to those considerations...Even though I enjoyed our western med....wish I would have done that before our Baltic....nothing can compare to that itinerary...JMHO.