What is the best course of action in this situation?

amandajean06

My extended family and I are booked on the Pride in May, and we all booked Early Saver last year. In my brother's cabin it was supposed to be him, his girlfriend, and he girlfriend's daughter. Well (surprise!) they have broken up. I told him I am sure he will incur change fees in order to remove their names from the reservation since we booked ES, but now he also wants to move from a cabin for 3 to a cabin for 2 and find another travel companion. All he has paid thus far was the deposit- final payment is 3/14/17. What's the best course of action to suggest to him? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My extended family and I are booked on the Pride in May, and we all booked Early Saver last year. In my brother's cabin it was supposed to be him, his girlfriend, and he girlfriend's daughter. Well (surprise!) they have broken up. I told him I am sure he will incur change fees in order to remove their names from the reservation since we booked ES, but now he also wants to move from a cabin for 3 to a cabin for 2 and find another travel companion. All he has paid thus far was the deposit- final payment is 3/14/17. What's the best course of action to suggest to him? Thanks in advance!

Expect lots of penalty$$$$

I know there's a $50 change fee per person, but it seems like he needs to make a call to Carnival.

I don't know that he needs to move cabins. Simply wait until he has a new travel companion (but before final payment) and cancel person #3, incurring said penalty, and change the name of person #2, incurring penalty.

I don't know that he needs to move cabins. Simply wait until he has a new travel companion (but before final payment) and cancel person #3, incurring said penalty, and change the name of person #2, incurring penalty.

Hadn't thought of it that way. Good point. Thanks!

My advise is to STAY IN SAME CABIN because the bed in the wall or ceiling

is hidden and Will not get in his way. No need to cancel cabins.

Best to cruise alone at this late date and have the cabin to himself.

Just cancel the extra person.

It is not your responsibility because your friend or relative will have to deal with Carnival and pay the extra fees for changing names on the cruise and also deleting the third person.

Have that person call Carnival or travel agent to make the changes and also get some advise at 1-800-227-6482.

FYI, name changes are not allowed with Early Saver, even for a fee.

Edited by nwcruiselover

What did your travel agent say?

We are sailing with 15 family members this month for our wedding. We have had this issue come up with 1 booking and at the time we were just over 60 days from sailing and they let her change the passenger without paying the $50 change fee. She had the Early Saver fare. Another person originally booked a room just for herself because she wasn't sure who to take. She decided about 60 days prior to sailing to take her sister and they added her without a change fee. Traveling with family can be stressful so I understand your desire to help your brother come up with the best solution for his situation. I hope this helps!

We are sailing with 15 family members this month for our wedding. We have had this issue come up with 1 booking and at the time we were just over 60 days from sailing and they let her change the passenger without paying the $50 change fee. She had the Early Saver fare. Another person originally booked a room just for herself because she wasn't sure who to take. She decided about 60 days prior to sailing to take her sister and they added her without a change fee. Traveling with family can be stressful so I understand your desire to help your brother come up with the best solution for his situation. I hope this helps!

Thank you so much! That's very helpful. I'm hoping they can work with him to figure out what's best.

It has been my experience that it is best for the relative or friend be the responsible person since it is their problem.

The only way it can be your problem is if you paid the deposit and now you may lose out on some money.

Years ago I invited my own sister on a cruise that I had paid for her to cruise with me. But we had a verbal disagreement on something. So I didn't say nothing to the cruise ship and I cruised alone and had a great time.

The cruise line didn't care that my sister didn't show up for the cruise.

I knew I had to pay double anyway for cruising solo and it didn't bother me

at all.

I have had relatives plan cruises with friends but then the friends change their minds and then my relatives choose to not cruise also. That happens a lot with friends and relatives.

I started cruising many years ago with a friend when her friend backed out from cruising so I took her place and have been cruising ever since.

I totally dislike the Early Saver deals because it blocks me from making changes that will cost me money. I love cruising on Carnival but the only way I will cruise with them is to make a last minute deal.

I live near the cruise port so it is easy for me to do that.

But when people live far away they also have to plan the air fare. I have gotten stuck paying air fare for a grandchild that chose to not cruise with me. I have learned my lesson to be careful of not using my money for relatives or friends.

We have early saver and my husband is not able to go so our daughter is going instead, and we have paid final payment. The fee for such a change is $250, so be sure to do it before

final payment.

Early Saver can be very confusing, but I'll try to help a little. When you book Early Saver, the deposit is non-refundable, but only $50 of that deposit is completely non-refundable with the rest going as a future cruise credit. Do you know who paid the deposits? If your brother paid with his credit card, then he can usually keep the girlfriend and daughter's deposit on his booking minus $50 per person. If the girlfriend paid the deposit, then she and her daughter will get that minus the $50 per person as a future cruise credit and he will have to pay an additional deposit to keep his booking (solo bookings need double deposit).

They don't always let you keep a cabin for 3 when you have only 1 or 2 people in it. If he is allowed to stay in that cabin they can move him to a different cabin if they need the cabin for 3 people (although it is rare). One thing he can do is cancel both of them and change to a 2 person cabin, then add the 2nd person whenever he knows who it will be. You can add a new person in the cabin up to about 3 days before the ship sails. If the ship has reached capacity (amount of seats in the lifeboats), then they will not allow you to add another person, so it is usually better to add someone as soon as possible.