Quick Pride of America review

pe4all

Just got back from POA 12/24-12/31. Traveled with dh58, dd25, dd28. Had 2 large balcony cabins - 8528/8530.

- Took Hawaiian Airlines direct from JFK to Oahu on 12/22. 1 hour delay going. Stayed at Holiday Inn Beachcomber Waikiki - 2 rooms - nice hotel for pre-cruise. Close to everything, good price. Clean.

- Used JohnnyCab for all travel on Oahu. Pickup at airport to hotel, hotel to Pearl Harbor on 12/23, Pearl Harbor back to hotel, hotel to port on 12/24, and from port did island tour for 5 hours on 12/31 before flight back to JFK. Cannot say enough about Johnny and his number one driver Mark!! Prompt, good prices, great attitude, friendly.

-Boarding POA - got to ship at 11:30. Dropped luggage off (no porters - did it ourselves) checked in, got boarding pass - group C. Waited only about 15 minutes, and were then onboard. We grabbed a quick lunch at buffet, then dropped our carry-ons at East meets West. They will store them for you until 2:30. If you are back after 2:30 you can pick up your stuff at Guest Services. Walked to King K's statue, and looked at Ioni Palace. Back on board explored ship until cabins were ready. They "release" the cabins deck by deck, and not in deck order. Our cabins was ready around 2:40 - later than on other NCL cruises we have taken. Got our luggage about 1 hour later.

- cabins were adjoining. Steward introduced himself. Would NOT open balcony doors for us. (we had read some reviews that said some would, some wouldn't) Cabin was adequate for our needs, though I found bathroom storage limited. Also didn't like the "cage" shelves in closet - held less than regular shelves on other ships. But again - we made do!

- Food/drink - ate at Cagneys, Moderno, La Cuchina and Jefferson's Bistro as part of dining plan. Cagneys was good - others were meh - especially seafood at Jefferson's. Buffet was - well, buffet. Always found something to eat. Cadillac diner was okay - I prefer O'Sheehans. Didn't order room service. Did not get drink plan. We did get wine package for first time - 4 bottles for $105 I think it was. Not being able to bring water on was a pain. They were VERY strict - even making everyone throw out bottles of drink bought in port. (which we knew they would do from reading cc before we went.) Went through backpacks very thoroughly if they saw something at screening entering ship at all ports. Ended up getting water for cabin at gift shop and excursions- 5 bottles for $10 - not bad. (or $2.50 per bottle if bought singly) Also got good use out of soda plan I bought on board.

- Shows - I had all intentions of seeing every show. However, we were so tired after our excursions we were in bed early each evening, and saw no shows except lava flow by Mother Nature!

- Excursions - Here, I could have killed dh. After months of researching, I picked out the excursions I wanted, using private companies. Comes time to book them, dh decides he wanted mostly NCL excursions!! I explained, complained, yelled, etc. that they were more expensive for same excursions, but couldn't change his mind. We were traveling with dd28, who is special needs, so I could see part of his point, but happy husband = happy marriage, so he "won."

-Honolulu - pre-cruise - Pearl Harbor on our own and laua, then island tour at end of cruise. Pearl Harbor is amazing. Were there at 8:10 a.m. when they played the Star Spangled Banner to commemorate the time PH was attacked. Very touching - dh had tears in his eyes he was so moved. We walked to the Laua at the aquarium. Was fine. For the price we paid (groupon) couldn't beat it.

-Maui - Molokini Crater snorkel (NCL) and Rainforest hike/waterfalls. (NCL) both pretty good.

-Hilo - Marylou tour (private van) with Ken as driver. Relaxing.

- Kona - Captain Zodiac snorkel thru NCL - fantastic!! Saw 2 kinds of dolphins, humpback whales, hammerhead sharks, and good snorkeling. Thanks, Captain Chris! Tendering back from Kona was a pain - over a 30 minute line for tender. Also saw lava flow at 9:45 pm from ship.

- Kaui - Helicopter tour with Jack Harter Helicopters. Fantastic. Then Surf lessons (private) on beach near ship. Kanapali coast 5:15 at night. Our cabins were port side, so we stayed there to watch. Can turn tv on loud and you can hear the commentary by naturalist (China) that is heard on deck 11/12.

Back in Oahu - island tour with Johnnycab - Mark as driver. Went to Leonards bakery for malafadas, beaches, blowhole, diamondhead, etc. Dropped us off at airport at 2, where we had a 1 hour delay for flight back to NY. Celebrated NYE twice on plane - once in "NY" time, and once in "HI" time!

All in all, we had a great cruise. Every crew member we met was great. Saw none of the "attitude" we heard about on this ship due to American crew. Crew worked hard to keep ship clean. Band at pool was waaay too loud for us - we found quiet places on deck to enjoy instead. Dining plan restaurants slightly disappointing. Bought 4 more future cruise certificates on board. We now need a vacation from our vacation! Will be glad to try to answer any questions. Happy New Year to all!

Awesome! I'd love to do this next year, at Christmas time. We're driving home from Breakaway now- post cruise depression.... planning is making it slightly easier. My daughters friend is on POA- he loves it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just a bit more background - dh and I went to Oahu, Maui and Kauai on our honeymoon 33 years ago. Back then we took puddle-jumper planes from island to island, spending 4 on Oahu, 3 each on Maui and Kauai. We felt that, since we were older, we didn't have the strength to do this, and the POA was the best way to go for our family, as we love cruising. I think we 100% made the correct choice for us. Many people on the cruise rented cars on the islands. DH didn't want to do this, and the NCL excursions we were on really did not have that many people on them. Our Zodiac and rainforest/waterfall hike had 11 people, and was pretty personalized. Our Molokini crater excursions had a bus and 1/2 load of people. (around 60) This was run by the Pacific Whale Foundation. There were some people (12) already on the "catamaran" - it was more like a small boat - that did the tour directly through PWF. They paid less, but had a long wait while we were bussed to the ship, and while we got our buffet lunch first. They were placed on the small top part of the ship - very windy there. They also had to arrange their own transportation to and from the boat. I didn't mind we paid more than them for that tour!!

Thanks for posting the quick review. It was nice to hear some positive comments about POA We are going cruising late Feb. and can hardly wait to go. It sounds like you had a good time despite the rocky start. We are renting cars in all the ports and am in the process of planning where we want to go and what to see. I doubt that we will get to Hawaii again, so I want to see the most important places this time in case DH decides that Hawaii is too hot and humid for him.

Thanks for the review. This cruise is on our bucket list...we haven't done it yet due to the price. But hopefully soon!

We have done land trips to Hawaii in 1998 and 2008, so next time we would like to try a cruise.

Overall did you find the cruise price to be comparable to the land packages plus food?

Thanks for the review. This cruise is on our bucket list...we haven't done it yet due to the price. But hopefully soon!

We have done land trips to Hawaii in 1998 and 2008, so next time we would like to try a cruise.

Overall did you find the cruise price to be comparable to the land packages plus food?

We sailed on the most expensive sailing of the year. When you add up land vacations hotels, food, airfare to other islands, car rental, excursions, etc., I would say the cruise was more economical. Also, we didn't have to unpack for 7 days!

pe4all - question for you. We were on the POA a couple of years ago and there was a terrific Hawaiian music duo that played in pink champagne bar each day. We really enjoyed their music and nicknamed them "the Ukulele boys." Do you know if they are still playing on the ship?

pe4all - question for you. We were on the POA a couple of years ago and there was a terrific Hawaiian music duo that played in pink champagne bar each day. We really enjoyed their music and nicknamed them "the Ukulele boys." Do you know if they are still playing on the ship?

We walked through that area a few times - there was a woman singing, but no ukulele player that we saw, and definitely no 2 males.

Edited by pe4all

Thanks for the review. We are heading there next month. Question about the beverage pkg. Would you be able to make a single beverage card (water,pop) work for 2 people? Do they care or do they watch for that? Thanks

You didn't hear this from me- but yes, you can do it. I bought the soda card online before we left. "Soda" was imprinted on my card. DH went up to get a soda for me with my card a few times. They barely glanced at the card, and they will only give you one soda at a time. Can't get bottled water with the soda card, though.

How was the airline? Looking into flights for our upcoming cruise (From JFK) and are considering using the comfort plus option. For a family of five first class is out of the question but a long flight for coach

We did the non-stop for our Dec 2015 cruise, & used the comfort plus only for the return to JFK. If you use the comfort plus, try to avoid the bulkhead rows. You lose the underseat storage for your smaller carryon, the tray table is in the armrest, so you lose a couple of inches in seat width, and your entertainment system is folded on an arm under your seat, and is a pain to bring up.

Other than that, it's a great flight as long as you don't mind the length, plus the plan is a wide body, so it doesn't seem as cramped.

How was the airline? Looking into flights for our upcoming cruise (From JFK) and are considering using the comfort plus option. For a family of five first class is out of the question but a long flight for coach

Hawaiian Airlines comfort plus was well worth the extra we paid. On the way there for some reason they "gave" us the premium (first run) movie package.- maybe because it was an 11 hour flight. On the way back they did not - just had "regular" movie package.- 9 hour flight cause of tailwinds. I would suggest row 13CDEG on the way there, if you can get it. We had row 14 (last row in the front section of extra comfort seats) and they were fine, but one of the seats did not recline as much as it should have. On the way back to NY we had bulkhead seats (row 33CDGE as the front comfort plus seats were not available.) and they were fine. We just put our stuff in the compartment above our heads for take-off and landing. The extra legroom was nice- we could really stretch out our legs. It didn't bother us having our trays in the armrest, or the tv coming from below the armrest- we actually preferred the tv that way! The armrest in the middle 2 seats was able to be moved up, so dd layed across her seat and on my lap for the (red-eye) flight home. The outlets under each seat were great, also. Make sure you load up on snacks - the ones they sell on board are pretty costly. We got some at a CVS before we went, and re-stocked at an ABC store in Oahu (there is literally one on each block!) before we flew home.

Edited by pe4all

Wife and I are taking this cruise this summer. After spending the prior week in CA and Waikiki was there laundry services offered? Either paid or included in some package? I find sketchy info on both here and NCL site. Even travel agent can't narrow down a firm answer.

Wife and I are taking this cruise this summer. After spending the prior week in CA and Waikiki was there laundry services offered? Either paid or included in some package? I find sketchy info on both here and NCL site. Even travel agent can't narrow down a firm answer.

I had looked into this, and also couldn't find an answer. I asked our steward about laundry specials when we boarded, and he said there were none offered. However, we did laundry 2x on the ship (4 of us) and it cost us $14.99 one time, and $19.96 the 2nd time. We got 25% off with a coupon that was in our cabin upon embark. (maybe because we are gold with NCL?) It was well worth it to us to get it done. I almost flipped out, cause attached to the finished laundry was a pink slip that said the charge would be per piece (like dry cleaning) and the cost was $109!!:eek: However, when we looked on the tv, only $14.96 was charged, which is why we put in a 2nd bag so I didn't have to do a big load of laundry when we got home. Funny thing is - they put almost everything on hangers - t shirts, pajamas, shorts, tank tops, etc. I actually think these things were dry-cleaned! Undies and socks were put in a bag.

Thank you. I read every review on the POA before sailing and figured I would pay it forward- even if it is short and sweet!

Can we bring bottles of water on the ship? I see on the web site that we can buy 24 pack bottles of water but it is expansive. If we cannot I will buy a pack in advance for the rebate