Help Me Choose a Med Cruise: NCL Spirit or RCI Brilliance

PaulInPGH

Greetings,

My wife and I are strongly considering a Med cruise for our next adventure. Since we’ve never been, I was hoping some folks here could weigh in and help us choose which cruise to take.

I’ve narrowed it down to two main options, though I’m sure we’ll still keep an eye out for others that might look appealing. One is a 10-night on the NCL Spirit out of Rome, and the other is a 12-night on RCI’s Brilliance of the Seas out of Barcelona. I’m posting this on both the NCL and RCI boards, to hopefully get some differing opinions, or maybe an opinion from someone who’s done both. We’ve cruised on both lines, so I generally know what to expect from each, but any specific thoughts on these particular ships would be helpful.

More helpful, though, would be thoughts on the two itineraries, as we’ve never been to any of these places. Here’s the comparison:

Spirit: Rome, Florence/Pisa (Livorno), Cannes, Provence (Marseille), Barcelona, Palma Majorca, Cagliari, Valletta, Messina (Sicily), Naples.

Brilliance: Barcelona, Villefranche, Livorno, Rome, Salerno, Venice (two days), Ravenna, Kotor.

Cost is pretty equal, though we’ll definitely keep an eye out for promos or price drops, and flying to Rome or Barcelona is roughly the same price from where we live. Any thoughts, suggestions, tips, or whatever would be very much appreciated!

I should have such troubles. LOL Don't know if it helps to tell you that they are both good ships and itineraries. I would go with either. So the only thing I find better is the 2 extra days on Brilliance if the cruises are the same price.

Edited by cruise pup

I should have such troubles. LOL Don't know if it helps to tell you that they are both good ships and itineraries. I would go with either. So the only thing I find better is the 2 extra days on Brilliance if the cruises are the same price.

Yes, I did think about the two extra days, though interestingly, since those are both days at sea, the 10-night on Spirit visits two more ports than the 12-night on Brilliance. Then again, 10 nights with no days at sea might be pretty hectic, so...who knows.

More helpful, though, would be thoughts on the two itineraries, as we’ve never been to any of these places. Here’s the comparison:

Spirit: Rome, Florence/Pisa (Livorno), Cannes, Provence (Marseille), Barcelona, Palma Majorca, Cagliari, Valletta, Messina (Sicily), Naples.

Brilliance: Barcelona, Villefranche, Livorno, Rome, Salerno, Venice (two days), Ravenna, Kotor.

Depending on your on board spending plans, you might want to consider if VAT tax applied on board would be worth taking into account. There are many threads and google items on this, so I won't go into details, but the Brilliance cruise has a port outside of the EU (Kotor, Montenegro). We have never had to pay VAT when leaving Barcelona and visiting a non EU port, although I have read it can apply while the ship is in Spanish waters. Italy and Spain have different VAT rules and rates for departing cruise ships.

I love the Spirit and prefer NCL to RC, but I would consider Brilliance for the itinerary.

My input:

RC is more formal - NCL more laid back, but can be formal on certain nights if that is what you want.

You will pay gratuities per day so consider that in the cost.

I love Venice and overnight there is a plus.

When in Europe I like cruises with lots of port stops. Why spend time on a cruise ship instead of in a european port?! I pick other itinerary's if I want to relax and enjoy a ship. Lots of port stops is a great way to get an overview and see where you might want to return. But if you feel you need some down days go with RC.

I am assuming one is RT Barcelona and the other RT Rome so they start and stop in the same spot? If you are planning a couple days at the start or end of the cruise you may want to go with the NCL cruise. One day in port for Rome is not enough to really see that area. If you desire more time in Barcelona - then pick that.

Consider how long you are at each port too. The longer port time the better. Less rushing to see things while in port.

Not sure if I've helped - but there it is :)

My input:

RC is more formal - NCL more laid back, but can be formal on certain nights if that is what you want.

You will pay gratuities per day so consider that in the cost.

I love Venice and overnight there is a plus.

When in Europe I like cruises with lots of port stops. Why spend time on a cruise ship instead of in a european port?! I pick other itinerary's if I want to relax and enjoy a ship. Lots of port stops is a great way to get an overview and see where you might want to return. But if you feel you need some down days go with RC.

I am assuming one is RT Barcelona and the other RT Rome so they start and stop in the same spot? If you are planning a couple days at the start or end of the cruise you may want to go with the NCL cruise. One day in port for Rome is not enough to really see that area. If you desire more time in Barcelona - then pick that.

Consider how long you are at each port too. The longer port time the better. Less rushing to see things while in port.

Not sure if I've helped - but there it is :)

All good points, thank you.

We've actually put a deposit down for the cruise on Spirit, though we've yet to book flights and hotels. We'll definitely do something before the cruise, possibly try to fly in to Venice and do a couple days there before doing a couple days in Rome. Lots and lots to think about and plan, but in a fun, exciting way.

We've actually put a deposit down for the cruise on Spirit, though we've yet to book flights and hotels. We'll definitely do something before the cruise, possibly try to fly in to Venice and do a couple days there before doing a couple days in Rome. Lots and lots to think about and plan, but in a fun, exciting way.

We will be on the Spirit in Sept for the first time. Just booked it as well and starting to research flights and plan time in Italy before hand. When are you going?

We will be on the Spirit in Sept for the first time. Just booked it as well and starting to research flights and plan time in Italy before hand. When are you going?

The cruise is Oct. 12-22, so we'll likely fly over around Oct. 8.

The lack of sea days is hard to ignore, I did a 14 day med cruise with 1 sea days and it felt like a forced march.

That's definitely a worry, but we're going to try to manage that by not packing our days in port too heavily. Knock on wood, this won't be our last trip to these places.

Are you affected by jetlag at all? I know that if I crossed to Europe there is no way that I could hit the ground running the first day. It might just be something that you want to consider and plan your Venice/Rome or Barcelona sightseeing days at the end of your cruise rather than the start. We're booked on the same Spirit itinerary in May. If you're still planning with that one, I'll be happy to answer any questions once we return .

That's definitely a worry, but we're going to try to manage that by not packing our days in port too heavily. Knock on wood, this won't be our last trip to these places.

We did a 14 day med cruise with NO port days - it was intense, but we took advantage of the wonderful warm ocean and beautiful beaches at many ports. A great way to spend a few hours and get some relaxation. Port days do not have to be marathon days. Also the trip to the port from Rome is doable by train. We did this on our own - just do your research and plan plenty of time. We also took the train from the port to Florence. Tons of information on line - enjoy!

I have done both.

The cabins on the Spirit are considerably smaller than RCI. We generally travel as 2 adults and one teen in a balcony room. Luckily we were just a two on this occasion. so we were ok. As a 3 we would have probably killed each other.

I feel the NCL itinerary is better, if for no other reason than if you can get to Rome a couple of days earlier you can actually see things properly there. You do need to be aware that the train from Rome to Civitavecchia is quite long, and people will try to "help" you all over the place. (Pity Venice isn't included)

Conversely, on the RCI departure point - the Barcelona port is pretty much in the city itself - so you don't really need to get there days before. its quite easy to see the high points in a day.

If it was me, and I was coming all that way - I would want to fly to Venice and stay there for 2 days, then get a train down to Rome for another 2 days, then get on the train to the port for the cruise to start.... BUT my husband would say NO we aren't doing that stop being so greedy!!! and he would want to fly to Rome the day before.

That's my thinking too about Venice and Rome but could you do that plus add some time in Barcelona?

In other words do either of these cruise debark in Barcelona?

Fwiw....whatever you choose....please no not cut back on your time in Venice and Rome!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

We did a 14 day med cruise with NO port days - it was intense, but we took advantage of the wonderful warm ocean and beautiful beaches at many ports. A great way to spend a few hours and get some relaxation. Port days do not have to be marathon days. Also the trip to the port from Rome is doable by train. We did this on our own - just do your research and plan plenty of time. We also took the train from the port to Florence. Tons of information on line - enjoy!

Apologies if this is hijacking this thread a little bit - We'll be doing the same thing in May - taking the train into both Florence and Rome. There is so much info on this on Cruisecritic, some of it quite confusing. But as you have done both - are you able to tell me how easy it really is to get to the train station in Livorno and Civitavecchia. It seems like a bit of a mission. Was it possible (and easy) to just get a cab from the ship, or the port gates? How did you get there in both places from ship to train? We dock at Civi at 8am, and have booked a 9.16 train into Rome and are hoping this is easily enough time to get to the station? Thanks for any info...

Apologies if this is hijacking this thread a little bit - We'll be doing the same thing in May - taking the train into both Florence and Rome. There is so much info on this on Cruisecritic, some of it quite confusing. But as you have done both - are you able to tell me how easy it really is to get to the train station in Livorno and Civitavecchia. It seems like a bit of a mission. Was it possible (and easy) to just get a cab from the ship, or the port gates? How did you get there in both places from ship to train? We dock at Civi at 8am, and have booked a 9.16 train into Rome and are hoping this is easily enough time to get to the station? Thanks for any info...

There is a good website that might help for Civi:

http://goo.gl/CktmRh

Also, someone has taken the trouble to video the journey:

https://youtu.be/A9ibAJ38fKQ

http://www.reidsitaly.com/destinations/tuscany/florence/planning/to-by-ship.html

This link has good info on the Livorno train ride to Florence - Pisa is also an option. It is a long train ride - so you want to make sure you have plenty of port time and get an early start. We walked from the port to the train station in both Rome and Livorno - but with luggage arriving it would have been difficult.

I have done both.

The cabins on the Spirit are considerably smaller than RCI. We generally travel as 2 adults and one teen in a balcony room. Luckily we were just a two on this occasion. so we were ok. As a 3 we would have probably killed each other.

I feel the NCL itinerary is better, if for no other reason than if you can get to Rome a couple of days earlier you can actually see things properly there. You do need to be aware that the train from Rome to Civitavecchia is quite long, and people will try to "help" you all over the place. (Pity Venice isn't included)

Conversely, on the RCI departure point - the Barcelona port is pretty much in the city itself - so you don't really need to get there days before. its quite easy to see the high points in a day.

If it was me, and I was coming all that way - I would want to fly to Venice and stay there for 2 days, then get a train down to Rome for another 2 days, then get on the train to the port for the cruise to start.... BUT my husband would say NO we aren't doing that stop being so greedy!!! and he would want to fly to Rome the day before.

This post is spot on. Go 3 days early - the first for lag, the second for sites, the third for a leisurely breakfast, perhaps a walk, and then make your way to port.

Are you affected by jetlag at all? I know that if I crossed to Europe there is no way that I could hit the ground running the first day. It might just be something that you want to consider and plan your Venice/Rome or Barcelona sightseeing days at the end of your cruise rather than the start. We're booked on the same Spirit itinerary in May. If you're still planning with that one, I'll be happy to answer any questions once we return .

Yes, I'd love to hear your thoughts and advice after your trip in May!

The only time I traveled overseas to London I didn't have much in the way of jetlag. It hit me much worse on the trip back, so I'm thinking of taking an extra day of vacation once I'm back home in order to recover.

I have done both.

This is exactly what we'd like to do. Now I just have to plan for exactly how much available vacation time I'll have, not to mention the imposing budget of it all. I truly can't wait though; we've already started learning (very) basic Italian.

In my research I recalled a very helpful website that has extensive information about cruise ports. There are great PDF files to download and print out or save. Go to Toms port guides .com (All one word). I am finding so much information there I thought it would be helpful to you as well. ~Joyce