sideways cabins

redcruzer

On our last cruise on the Gem we had an obstructed Oceanview room and my cousin was 2 staterooms down in a sideways Obstructed Oceanview...and her room seemed so much bigger! So when we booked the Dawn for Christmas this year...we booked a sideways cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are they roomier? Any opinions? Thanks

Most aren't actually any larger but because of the layout hey seem gobble. We particularly liked ours on Jade (have a similar one booked for our upcoming Gem cruise). Because the hall door enters directly into the bedroom area, rather than into the area at the bath and closet, you don't end of having so many doors bumping into each other.

Most aren't actually any larger but because of the layout hey seem gobble. We particularly liked ours on Jade (have a similar one booked for our upcoming Gem cruise). Because the hall door enters directly into the bedroom area, rather than into the area at the bath and closet, you don't end of having so many doors bumping into each other.

There is a benefit in that the sideways cabins don't have "wasted space" with the hallway from the main corridor that is typically next to the bathroom, or between the bathroom and a closet.

If you use that square footage as part of the "main cabin space", it's noticeable especially in the smallest cabins.

On the other hand, there might be a bit less sense of privacy, because if the door is open, the view is right into the full cabin.

Sort of like having a doorway at home open directly into the LR, rather than into a small foyer first, not that the little hallway in a small cabin is like a "foyer" ;)

We absolutely LOVE the sideways cabins. We had one on the Spirit (and it was a LOT bigger than the other sideways cabins we've seen/experienced) and then we had one on the Dawn. Loved both of them! If I had my choice between regular and sideways...I'd pick sideways every time! :D

• 1 year later...

FWIW, I didn't see that it was any roomier really, but I gather I'm in the minority. I didn't like that feeling of kind of having to climb up onto the bed from the end. I also hit my head on the pullman a lot. All that being said, I don't have much spatial sense, and generally, as you know, you can't go wrong following Kim's advice!

You'll have a great cruise either way. Be sure to post back and tell us if you found it roomier, I'm curious!

lisakoivu, we were in a sideways cabin on Dawn 2 years ago & feel the same way you do. I also kept hitting my head on the pullman! Our granddaughter loved that cabin which is why we gave it a try but it just didn't work for us.

I was also a bit frustrated that we had to keep the curtains drawn because there were people outside working all week.