No Bev Package: exchange complimentary wine & pay corkage?

cloudy21

My group will have two Concierge Class (CC) cabins on Silhouette and none of us will have a beverage package – we do not drink enough to make it financially worthwhile and our TA failed to score one for us. We do enjoy wine, and before boarding we want to plan the most economical approach to enjoy it with dinner (i.e., not priced gouged, etc. by 4x mark-up). I say this having read other threads discussing the high per glass price ($12+).

Our strategy and related questions:

1. Exchange the sparkling wine in our CC cabins for a bottle of red or white.

Is this done through the room steward or guest services desk or MDR sommelier?

What is offered in exchange? I assume a full 750ml bottle? We’d expect the least expensive bottle commonly offered in the MDR and that’s reasonable.

I've also read that it could be a dollar amount ($28?) added to our OBC with the return of the bottle. And perhaps it makes more sense to bring on board an upscale wine and then use that credit to pay for the corkage...see next question.

2. Bring wine (2 bottles/room) onboard at embarkation and possibly pay $25 corkage per bottle.

If we open and dispense in our rooms and then carry a glass to the MDR, there’d be no fee. This seems somewhat impractical, especially if you have to wait for your table to become available.

How is the corkage fee actually collected? If the bottle has been opened (in our rooms) and then is placed on the table, does the waiter or sommelier take note of it, inquire about its origin, and then request room key to apply the corkage fee to your account?

What if you happen to bring a bottle that is also available for purchase from the ship – in other words the waiter/sommelier may think it was purchased from them?

Can OBC used to pay for corkage fee?

In answer to question 1, we have always been successful in exchanging the bubbly for wine by asking the wine steward the first night if they would help. We have had wine stewards that just replace it with house white or red (our choice) but mostly we have been given a $28 credit towards another bottle of wine.

Celebrity wine bottles have a unique identifier on the bottles....so even if you buy a bottle on shore that is carried on the ship, they will know. We have never done this, so I can't tell you the mechanics. Clearly, if you bring wine in a glass into the dining room, there will be no questions asked and no charge.

One final thought for your consideration....and this may really help:

Often at lunch, the bar in the buffet area offers a selection of wines for purchase at a much lower price....low $20's as I recall. You could buy those bottles and enjoy them anywhere (at lunch, in your room but you can't take them to any of the other bars or dining areas...and yes, they know the bottles. I did try this and didn't realize that you can't bring the bottle to dinner. However, since I bought the wine and hadn't yet opened it, I took the bottle back to the cabin, and the next night, poured two glasses and brought the glasses of wine to the dining room with no difficulty.

The OBC you talk about. I will have a beverage package,if I return the bubbly do I get a regular OBC or can it only be used for wine?

Laura

i have never heard of returning the sparkling wine for an obc....all the exchanges were specifically for another bottle of wine.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

In our experience it is just wine not OBC. We always have a beverage package so we just use the sparkling wine on our last afternoon after packing. With a little peach schnapps or OJ not bad. We finish the packing, open the wine and enjoy the last day on the balcony.

i have never heard of returning the sparkling wine for an obc....all the exchanges were specifically for another bottle of wine.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I can assure you that once the Blu sommelier gave us a credit to our account, something we had not requested or expected.. Most recently, the Blu sommelier gave us a $39 credit towards a bottle of wine. That is the most we have ever received. Usually it ranges between $28 and $32.

Is there a difference between the credit given for a suite bottle versus an Aqua bottle? Our experience is the two bottles in question are different in appearance, though the quality may be the same.

Is a bottle of Celebrity sparkling wine the new fruitcake?

Edited by BosoxI

My group will have two Concierge Class (CC) cabins on Silhouette and none of us will have a beverage package – we do not drink enough to make it financially worthwhile and our TA failed to score one for us. We do enjoy wine, and before boarding we want to plan the most economical approach to enjoy it with dinner (i.e., not priced gouged, etc. by 4x mark-up). I say this having read other threads discussing the high per glass price ($12+).

Our strategy and related questions:

1. Exchange the sparkling wine in our CC cabins for a bottle of red or white.

Is this done through the room steward or guest services desk or MDR sommelier?

What is offered in exchange? I assume a full 750ml bottle? We’d expect the least expensive bottle commonly offered in the MDR and that’s reasonable.

I've also read that it could be a dollar amount ($28?) added to our OBC with the return of the bottle. And perhaps it makes more sense to bring on board an upscale wine and then use that credit to pay for the corkage...see next question.

2. Bring wine (2 bottles/room) onboard at embarkation and possibly pay $25 corkage per bottle.

If we open and dispense in our rooms and then carry a glass to the MDR, there’d be no fee. This seems somewhat impractical, especially if you have to wait for your table to become available.

How is the corkage fee actually collected? If the bottle has been opened (in our rooms) and then is placed on the table, does the waiter or sommelier take note of it, inquire about its origin, and then request room key to apply the corkage fee to your account?

What if you happen to bring a bottle that is also available for purchase from the ship – in other words the waiter/sommelier may think it was purchased from them?

Can OBC used to pay for corkage fee?

We were in AQ and got our " bubbly" exchanged for white wine- they would not do red. We took it BLU and after first sip, we couldn't even drink that wine - it was just as bad as " bubbly". We declined the whole bottle.

Is there a difference between the credit given for a suite bottle versus an Aqua bottle? Our experience is the two bottles in question are different in appearance, though the quality may be the same.

Is a bottle of Celebrity sparkling wine the new fruitcake?

Big difference in the suite bottle they provide for the upper suites. They gave us a credit of over $80 (don't recall the exact amount). I think it is real french champagne, not just sparkling wine.

As for being the new fruitcake, I think it is the old fruitcake, since people have been exchanging those bottles of wine for years. ;)

And if you have OBC, will the fee be deducted from the account? Or is it charged to the credit card associated with the guest?
It will be charged as a debit to your onboard account, regardless of whether or not you have OBC or whether or not you use a credit card to pay for your account.

Big difference in the suite bottle they provide for the upper suites. They gave us a credit of over $80 (don't recall the exact amount). I think it is real french champagne, not just sparkling wine.

As for being the new fruitcake, I think it is the old fruitcake, since people have been exchanging those bottles of wine for years. ;)

H

Suites receive Perrier Jouet; it is a true Champagne and good quality. Retails for about $40 per 750ml bottle in US liquor stores and in restaurants is often about $100+ per bottle.

I was not aware that you could "give your in room bubbly" back for credit/exchange. Who do you ask ... room Stewart or do you take it to dining room/dinner?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I did this with a sommelier in the main dining room when sailing in Concierge Class.

And if you have OBC, will the fee be deducted from the account? Or is it charged to the credit card associated with the guest?

OBC and credit card accounts are settled at the end of the voyage. If you spend $600 total on board with your sea pass and have $200 in OBC then your credit card will be charged $400 at the end of the cruise. You do not choose what purchase(s) gets cancelled out by OBC.