Not Yacht Club access for the largest suites, why?

sverigecruiser

Size is not everything...

Biggest yacht club suites on meraviglia are 56 sqm, aurea duplex suites are 59 sqm. Not much of a difference, I'd say (approximately the second bathroom, which comes together with a minimum occupancy of 3 pax for the duplex suites - so yacht club offers still the most space per person).

Minimum 3 passengers in the duplex suite? Do you know that? I can't find that information anywhere.

I can see why they would have a minimum if the demand is there. More passengers means more $ in fares, fees and onboard spend. When we looked at booking a ghost 5th person into a whirlpool suite on Seaside, the MSC rep said they discourage that because they get a lot of requests from actual parties of 5 from that room and they are losing out on that 5th passenger when they don't show.

I can also see why not everyone wants the YC. We are doing it on our June 2018 cruise because its less than a thousand dollars more than if we were to book the regular suite we wanted. And we'd like to try it at least once to see if we like it. But even then, my wife asked "can we still eat in the MDR one or two nights?" She just likes the experience.

As for cost versus the Haven. The upbid I submitted this past Spring Break week for a 2 bedroom villa was $500 more than I am paying outright on the Seaside. And I lost that bet. The retail price was $3000+ more than this in demand Summer week we've booked.

This may be obvious, but I would suspect the reason MSC is cheaper likely has to do with their operating model. Public versus private company. Size, scale, etc. MSC must be able to do it cheaper and/or doesn't have or invest in the overhead that NCL is. If they are trying to seize control of the NCL and RCL demographics in the U.S., they may also be undercutting on price for awhile until they get a firm footing and then may gradually start raising prices. i.e. Making less now but attracting more regular customers could be a long-term investment.

Minimum 3 passengers in the duplex suite? Do you know that? I can't find that information anywhere.

It's from the cabin description in the (german) printed brochure.

(Never tried to book for two, because there's four of us. We just wanted the space and the extra bathroom - aurea perks are good enough to us.)

It's from the cabin description in the (german) printed brochure.

(Never tried to book for two, because there's four of us. We just wanted the space and the extra bathroom - aurea perks are good enough to us.)

The Swedish brochure doesn't have that information but they have price information for two people sharing that suite.

If at least three persons have to book, why is it only two beds in the cabin + the sofa? They should have three beds if three people has to book.

...If they are trying to seize control of the NCL and RCL demographics in the U.S., they may also be undercutting on price for awhile until they get a firm footing and then may gradually start raising prices. i.e. Making less now but attracting more regular customers could be a long-term investment.

That would be correct. Maybe not "seize control" but definitely trying to take a good sized bite. The investment in Miami (renovated terminal, Miami themed Seaside, etc.) is a clear indication. RCCL is also investing in Miami (new terminal for Harmony OTS) so the competition will be fierce 2018 and beyond.

Until MSC is "known" like Carnival, RCCL, NCL by the mass market, it would be wise (and better for us) for MSC to keep prices lower than the rest. :D

Until MSC is "known" like Carnival, RCCL, NCL by the mass market, it would be wise (and better for us) for MSC to keep prices lower than the rest. :D

This is interesting. I know that Carnival are big but in Sweden they are supersmall! Almost every TA sell cruises with RCCL, NCL and MSC but not Carnival. I don't know anyone who has cruised with Carnival.

^^

I meant known in the USA. If asked, the average American (even cruisers) wouldn't name MSC if asked to name 5 cruise lines. I've never seen a MSC commercial on US TV but Carnival, RCCL, Norwegian, Princess, even Viking all advertise on TV here. The only time Costa is on TV is for Concordia.:eek:

^^

I meant known in the USA. If asked, the average American (even cruisers) wouldn't name MSC if asked to name 5 cruise lines. I've never seen a MSC commercial on US TV but Carnival, RCCL, Norwegian, Princess, even Viking all advertise on TV here. The only time Costa is on TV is for Concordia.:eek:

I know that's what you meant and I know that you are right.

I know that Carnival are much bigger than MSC but for some reason they are very small in Sweden.

The Swedish brochure doesn't have that information but they have price information for two people sharing that suite.

If at least three persons have to book, why is it only two beds in the cabin + the sofa? They should have three beds if three people has to book.

The duplex suite has a double bed and a double sofa bed and therefore can take up to four pax. Third (and fourth) pax price depends on their age.

Don't know why the minimum occupancy is not shown in all brochures. To find out if it is bookable for two, one may have to do a (mock) booking.

The duplex suite has a double bed and a double sofa bed and therefore can take up to four pax. Third (and fourth) pax price depends on their age.

Don't know why the minimum occupancy is not shown in all brochures. To find out if it is bookable for two, one may have to do a (mock) booking.

I don't say that you are wrong, maybe three people is the minimum in the duplex. I only say that I haven't seen that information before. Not in their brochure and not on their webpage.

The Royal Suite has two sofas, do you know if two persons can book that suite?

• 2 months later...

I wanted one of the duplex suites on Meraviglia but was told they were for 4 people - wouldn't let us have it for 2 but we were able to book the suite with the large balcony for 2!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums