Apps and desserts on Specialty Dining Pkg?

aktravelguru

You can order as many apps and desserts as you want. The same goes for side dishes at Cagney's.

For what it's worth, you can order as many entrees at Teppanyaki as you want. I've often combined 3 things. This holds true whether or not you are paying cover or have the dining plan.

Edited by LrgPizza

I'm not sure about "as many as you want", although I'm sure the more insistent you are, the more food you can get. I've gotten push-back from the server every time I've attempted to order an off-menu combination at Teppanyaki. One time I asked for noodles, they told me I would have to change my order to chicken to get noodles, and no I could not have chicken and noodles plus another meat. Last time we were there I wanted steak and scallops, they said no, you order steak and tell your dining companion to order scallops. :confused:

There's always plenty to eat, and you usually end up getting to taste a lot of the other meats, but in my experience they don't let you order whatever you want.

When I was on the Dawn in December at Cagney's, a table next to me ask what they could order. They were told 3 starters, 1 entree and 2 sides. Not sure if this was just for the Dawn or for other ships, but I thought that was an awful lot of food.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I'm not sure about "as many as you want", although I'm sure the more insistent you are, the more food you can get. I've gotten push-back from the server every time I've attempted to order an off-menu combination at Teppanyaki.

The first time I ordered an off menu combo it was at the suggestion and urging of the server. I ordered filet and lobster combo, and she asked if I wanted shrimp, too. I said "Absolutely!". The next time I went to Teppanyaki (different ship), the server prior to taking orders announced that we could order whatever we wanted, in whatever combination, and that the menu was just a "suggestion". Ever since, I've always ordered that same combo (6 visits on 3 different ships). Now that lobster is gone, it will obviously change if I go again.

Edited by LrgPizza

When I was on the Dawn in December at Cagney's, a table next to me ask what they could order. They were told 3 starters, 1 entree and 2 sides. Not sure if this was just for the Dawn or for other ships, but I thought that was an awful lot of food.

I will never for the life of me understand why people ask. Simply order! If you are told no, then discuss. Why would anyone ask first? That seems so counter-intuitive.

I will never for the life of me understand why people ask. Simply order! If you are told no, then discuss. Why would anyone ask first? That seems so counter-intuitive.

Maybe they were worried about charges if they went "over" the package? When we were on the Breakaway this past spring, they told me I could only order one app at Le Bistro with the package. I ordered the second anyway, but don't remember seeing it on the bill.

Maybe they were worried about charges if they went "over" the package? When we were on the Breakaway this past spring, they told me I could only order one app at Le Bistro with the package. I ordered the second anyway, but don't remember seeing it on the bill.

You'd never have to pay for something if the server failed to notify you there would be a charge. Well, at least I'd never pay for something if I hadn't been told.

There's no reason to ask if you're ordering a standard three courses. But lots of people want to order more, but they are also vaguely aware that there are limits on the package and would prefer not to go over. In that case, why not ask for clarification? It's less awkward than simply ordering blindly and then having to backtrack when they tell you that what you just ordered will incur extra charges.

I've actually read the terms and conditions because I was curious about this. One in our party does not eat meat, so the last time we were at Cagney's, she ended up ordering the crab cakes (on the appetizer menu) as her entree. I wanted to make sure this wouldn't cause issues with the package.

The terms and conditions make no mention of the amount of appetizers or desserts you can order. The only limitation is on the entree -- you are only allowed one without having to pay more.

There's no reason to ask if you're ordering a standard three courses. But lots of people want to order more, but they are also vaguely aware that there are limits on the package and would prefer not to go over. In that case, why not ask for clarification? It's less awkward than simply ordering blindly and then having to backtrack when they tell you that what you just ordered will incur extra charges.
Because if you don't ask, they can't say no. There has never been one single post made here of someone being denied extras that they ordered, unless they asked first and were told various random non-existing limits. Not one single time!

You'd never have to pay for something if the server failed to notify you there would be a charge. Well, at least I'd never pay for something if I hadn't been told.

When I've used the package, I never told them I was using it, so I don't see why it would be their fault if you were charged for something that clearly has a charge on the menu. I know people who get the included SDP and then have more meals in the specialty restaurants once the package is done - they can (clearly) order whatever they want, since they're paying.

You are absolutely correct. We buy dining packages on every cruise. We tip well and no one in our group has ever been denied or charged for additional food orders. In fact, we enjoyed 3 Hennessy XO Cognacs after dinner in Le Bistro ($26 List) on our UBP without being charged. I think if you treat people well, they will respond in kind. And if you are charged, so what, it's probably not going to make any difference in your lifestyle. You're on a ship, at sea, and you don't have to row...enjoy.

When I've used the package, I never told them I was using it, so I don't see why it would be their fault if you were charged for something that clearly has a charge on the menu. I know people who get the included SDP and then have more meals in the specialty restaurants once the package is done - they can (clearly) order whatever they want, since they're paying.

I seem to recall them swiping our cards on entry, so they are well aware of whether or not you are SDP or a la carte. And, they probably know if you have used all your SDP credits and are paying for that meal. The waiter usually mentions it when he arrives at the table. We have read the terms and conditions of the SDP and know there are no restrictions other than 1 main entree per person, so we do not ask. Never have we been charged for any extras.

Now if you are doing a Platinum dinner, that is different. You are allowed one app, one main and a dessert. But not so if using SDP.