Emerald or Ruby for Alaska

momK

We want to cruise Alaska in September (yes, I'm from there and know that it isn't summer then. LOL) and wonder which ship would be better and why (dining room, buffet, specialty, crowds, etc.).

TIA!

They are basically the same ship--go with the one with the best itinerary.

And after looking at the itineraries I would suggest Ruby Princess because it cruises Glacier Bay while Emerald Princess cruises Tracy Arm; I think most would agree that Glacier Bay has the best glacier viewing.

Edited by f-mattox

We, too, love Glacier Bay, and visited it last year; we have never seen Tracy Arm, and many say the small-ship excursion from big ship is a must-do. We can also get the E large covered balcony mini-suite on Emerald for less than R aft balcony on Ruby. Looks like Emerald it will be. :)

We have been to both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm. One time to Tracy Arm was enough to convince us we were not missing anything and now only do the cruise that includes Glacier Bay which we will be doing this summer again. As already stated, the Emerald and Ruby are copies of each other so it does not really matter which one. If you are choosing based on what someone said about the crew last year, they change so what was there then may not be there now.

You must cruise on the RUBY because of GLACIER BAY!! The RUBY, CROWN AND EMERALD are the same style of ships.

Chose Ruby because it presently has an OBC credit of $210, or higher.

Satxdiver is so right about the crew workers always changing. You can always change tables if you are not happy with your waiters or your table mates.

I would choose the Ruby because it does have a lot of activities and I cruise a lot on it. I just got off in Nov. and will cruise again on Feb. for my birthday. I am getting $175. for OBC.

I did a search for Alaska cruises. I noticed that HAL stops in Sitka the Russian style port. Have you been to Sitka since you say you are from Alaska.

It has been years since I have been there. I miss cruising to Sitka.

My cousin says that cruising in Sept. is super cold but the stores will be having some great sales on their things before they close down for the winter. I would like to buy me another winter jacket there. LucyR.

Edited by LucyR.

You must cruise on the RUBY because of GLACIER BAY!! The RUBY, CROWN AND EMERALD are the same style of ships.

Chose Ruby because it presently has an OBC credit of $210, or higher.

Satxdiver is so right about the crew workers always changing. You can always change tables if you are not happy with your waiters or your table mates.

I would choose the Ruby because it does have a lot of activities and I cruise a lot on it. I just got off in Nov. and will cruise again on Feb. for my birthday. I am getting $175. for OBC.

I did a search for Alaska cruises. I noticed that HAL stops in Sitka the Russian style port. Have you been to Sitka since you say you are from Alaska.

It has been years since I have been there. I miss cruising to Sitka.

My cousin says that cruising in Sept. is super cold but the stores will be having some great sales on their things before they close down for the winter. I would like to buy me another winter jacket there. LucyR.

We are going on the Emerald in May - we will be going to both Sitka and Glacier Bay.

Every year we cruise to Alaska out of Seattle, sometimes twice. We alternate one year we go to Tracy Arm and the next year we go to Glacier Bay. If I’d never cruised to Alaska, I would go Glacier Bay. The Ruby is a nice ship, good crew, good food, a all-around good experience. This year we have booked earlier than we normally do to get free OB gratuities and $450 OBC, we are on the Emerald this year in June.

Which Emerald cruise goes there in May? How did I miss it? I thought Princess never cruised there! Might need to rebook.

First one of the season: May 13. Sitka is replace by Skagway the rest of the season.