Balcony on Conquest with kids?!?

BonusMom

Hi all!! Newbie here. We are booked on the Conquest in April 2018 for a high school graduation gift for our son. We booked two rooms, one for the kids who will be 18 (two months shy of 19) and 6.5 at the time we cruise, and one across the hall for us. We are considering moving the kids to a balcony room, but my husband is concerned about the safety of the balcony for a 6.5 year old. Let me just say she will NEVER be alone in the room or on the balcony, but she is a very adventurous kid. Can you guys give me some insight on the likelihood of a child climbing and falling off of a balcony? We are in 7423 and are looking at putting the kids next door.

We had a balcony last January on Conquest with our kids who were 7 & 3. Our 7 year old could see over it, by a head. I'm 5'3" and the balcony rails are almost at shoulder height for me. The door is also really heavy, and the lock was over my head. We also kept the door to the balcony locked unless one of us was there to supervise. Ultimately it comes down to what you're most comfortable with.

Unless your almost 7 year old has a mind to jump off a ship, there is NO WAY he'll "fall"...honestly! I don't know why you'd want to pay for a balcony for kids, tho...they are only in the cabin to sleep...too much to do elsewhere! Save the money, and keep their inside cabin! Kids will NOT be using a balcony like adults will......waste of money.

Anyone who wants to jump off the ship doesn't need a balcony to do it...plenty of other, open spaces for that sort of thing!

Edited by cb at sea

Yes the balcony railing is chest high on me and I'm 5'7" but unfortunately that doesn't make it safe. There are chairs on the balcony that can be used to stand on which could create a very unsafe situation for a young child. But there are locks on the balcony door which is a good safeguard. It's up to you because only you know your child. Is she super obedient about following rules? Would she be curious enough to wander out on the balcony alone even when told not to? Is your son really good about keeping an eye on her? Only you can answer those questions. And there's always the option of you and your daughter sharing a room and your husband and son sharing a room. Or you could find balcony cabins that connect so you're right by each other. I hope it all works out for you. :)

Thanks all! Not sure if this matters, but the reason we are considering changing rooms is to allow my mom in law to join, so she would be in with the kids. My husband is super paranoid when it comes to our daughter. I have never seen her try to climb a fence/wall, etc but he is super concerned cause that is who he is. We are trying to find a room that will accommodate 3 on the 7th floor, which only seems to be the balcony. There would be an adult with her at all times.

If your mother in law is going to be in the room supervising her she should be fine. The railings are chest high on adults. It would be well over your daughters head. Tell your husband that anyone (adult or child) would NEVER be able to go over the railing by leaning against it or over it. It's just too high and hits you mid chest. Also, there's a solid clear plastic shield attached to the metal rail (going around the entire balcony) so she can't climb through the bars either. A person (adult or child) would need a chair or something to boost them over the top. And it doesn't sound like your daughter would do this. When we cruisers hear news stories of a person overboard we know they didn't just lean against the railing and fall overboard. The people have to have climbed up on top of the railing (often sitting on the railing for a picture) or were drunk and climbing up on it and being silly. Non cruisers mistakenly believe that the railing is low and people just lean against it and fall overboard. But that's far from the truth. The railings are very sturdy and quite high. I think your daughter will do fine. I hope you get that balcony. Beware though, they are addictive.

Edited by cruisinqt