Help needed, Sydney, please.

Our cruise on "Ovation" disembarks about 6.30 am on 9th February. I don't know how long this will take - any clues? We are not leaving Sydney until the next day. Any ideas about what to do with our luggage, do we try and get an early entry hotel room? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Also, what is the closest hotel to Central Station as we are travelling by train?

Our cruise on "Ovation" disembarks about 6.30 am on 9th February. I don't know how long this will take - any clues? We are not leaving Sydney until the next day. Any ideas about what to do with our luggage, do we try and get an early entry hotel room? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Also, what is the closest hotel to Central Station as we are travelling by train?

I haven't disembarked from the Ovation but I did from the Voyager and it was very quick. Like less than half and hour from cabin to the taxi rank. Any hotel should be able to store your luggage until you check in. There are a few hotels very close to central just google hotels near Central station.

There are a few hotels near Central to choose from.

I have used The Rendezvous and the Mecure they are both fine mid range hotels.

The Rendezvous has refridgerative airconditioning so you can set the exact temperature.

I'm sure you will be able to put your bags in storage at the hotel where they will be locked away until you are able to get your room key.

I hope this helps. Other people here will have other good suggestions.:)

there's NO chance that the Ovation would be disembarking people at 6.30am - unless they had specific flight arrangements ! So... check and see on the final days - you may be able to 'choose' what time you want on the last few days - or they may chose a later one... but not 6.30am !!! .

Hotels around Central (or basically that general are) include:

- VIBE (closer to St James - one stop before Central)

- METRO HOTEL MARLOW Sydney Central (between Town Hall and Central)

- TRAVELODGE - Wentworth Ave - closer to St James

None of these hotels would have any issue with you leaving your bags early if the rooms aren't ready - but - I wouldn't be looking to get off until about 9-10am.... have breakfast.. relax... don't rush.....

All are close to Central by one train stop. (* Trains to the airport use the St James / Museum - City Circle Line - just look for the 'airplane' on the indicator boards.)

Edited by shireboi

there's NO chance that the Ovation would be disembarking people at 6.30am - unless they had specific flight arrangements ! So... check and see on the final days - you may be able to 'choose' what time you want on the last few days - or they may chose a later one... but not 6.30am !!! .

Hotels around Central (or basically that general are) include:

- VIBE (closer to St James - one stop before Central)

- METRO HOTEL MARLOW Sydney Central (between Town Hall and Central)

- TRAVELODGE - Wentworth Ave - closer to St James

None of these hotels would have any issue with you leaving your bags early if the rooms aren't ready - but - I wouldn't be looking to get off until about 9-10am.... have breakfast.. relax... don't rush.....

All are close to Central by one train stop. (* Trains to the airport use the St James / Museum - City Circle Line - just look for the 'airplane' on the indicator boards.)

I think Vibe is closer to Museum than St James isn't it?

I think Vibe is closer to Museum than St James isn't it?

yes... :) loosing my bearings for a few secs (given that I used to use Museum so damned often !!). I can blame my sister for talking about St James Tavern and their 'cheap $10 steaks' !! :D

yes... :) loosing my bearings for a few secs (given that I used to use Museum so damned often !!). I can blame my sister for talking about St James Tavern and their 'cheap $10 steaks' !! :D

That's ok I thought I was loosing it for a minute, I was certain I used to jump off at St James for Uni, but can never remember for certain which is which now that I seldom catch the city circle train.

If going to a hotel, they will nearly always check your baggage at the bell captain's desk until check-in time. If you don't have too much luggage you can take the train downtown. It's not cheap but may be less than a taxi. There are multiple stops including Central and Circular Quay. There is luggage storage at both places if not checking sat the hotel. It's not cheaper, I think either AU$6 or $11 depending on size per bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I stayed at the Rendevous at Central recently. Good comfortable room, not flash but served its purpose. Breakfast buffet included, suitable for 2 days. Then loses variety.

Given the amount of road/tram construction, is there an impact on the other railway stations and hotel locations?

I have recently found out that if you have A seniors card from another state, you can apply online with NSW Travel or some such, and get a $2.50 a day travel card.

I stayed at the Rendevous at Central recently. Good comfortable room, not flash but served its purpose. Breakfast buffet included, suitable for 2 days. Then loses variety.

Given the amount of road/tram construction, is there an impact on the other railway stations and hotel locations?

I have recently found out that if you have A seniors card from another state, you can apply online with NSW Travel or some such, and get a $2.50 a day travel card.

No impact on railways, but major work shortly to start on Wynyard station.

Not aware of any impact on any hotels, just in some spots access is a pain.

Coming from the North access to the OPT is a bit of a pain as well but just a bit of around the back of the Rocks sorts it out.

Hi there. Can I ask why you want to stay near Central post cruise? There are many nice hotels near the OPT or a little bit nearer the nicer bits of town than Central. I might be completely biased (full disclosure, I love Sydney), but I wouldn't stay up near Central unless I was paid to.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I believe they want accommodation near Central railway station as they are returning home by train.....

It's only a few minutes on the train from say Circular Quay to Central and the fare is peanuts; it wouldn't make hardly any difference in terms of time to stay nearer the OPT and there are advantages of doing so such access to a wider range of nice hotels.

Thank you for all the information. We are staying two nights before the cruise close to Circular Quay and have now booked near Central for the trip home. Will take the large luggage and place in lockers the day before so will only have to carry our carry-on-luggage. Works well. I love a plan.

We love train travel and the nearest airport is close to 2 hours from our home so it is more convenient to travel by train for us.

Appreciate all the help as we don't know Sydney too well.

Edited by karoolabiddy

It's only a few minutes on the train from say Circular Quay to Central and the fare is peanuts; it wouldn't make hardly any difference in terms of time to stay nearer the OPT and there are advantages of doing so such access to a wider range of nice hotels.

In fact normally the same fare from anywhere on the City Circle as from Central.

Or used to be, I haven't used trains much the last few years.