Trying to decided which cruiseline to go with

dresehand

We are avid Carnival cruisers but decided to try something different and go on Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas. Now, I worry we made a mistake as I have read so many mixed reviews i.e. too big, too many people, long lines and the ports do not look that enticing to me.. Labadee and Falmouth, Jamaica and Cozumel. We are going with younger people who want to snorkel, zip line and have fun, but I'm not sure we are going to be very happy with these ports. It seems Carnival has a bit more options for us. I would appreciate anyone's suggestions, advice, experiences with either or Royal Caribbean and Carnival. Thanks in advance

You will be fine. The experience is more similar than different. Yes...Oasis is HUGE...but it's designed for the number of passengers. Labadee is the private beach...larger than HMC...and more developed...but still, a private beach day.

Carnival and RCI are more alike than different.

Perhaps you should consider calling Royal Caribbean to request transferring your deposit to another ship/itinerary. But first, check the RC website to see which itinerary you would be happier with so you can refer to it when you make your call. I have done this a couple of times and have not had any trouble making a change.

My wife and I have been very happy with our RC cruises.

Edited by JimAOk1945

Oasis is big, but once onboard you will not think it is as big. It is divided into neighborhoods and this makes it much better. You would hardly realize there are almost 6000 people in board, except parades and parties

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are avid Carnival cruisers but decided to try something different and go on Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas. Now, I worry we made a mistake as I have read so many mixed reviews i.e. too big, too many people, long lines and the ports do not look that enticing to me.. Labadee and Falmouth, Jamaica and Cozumel. We are going with younger people who want to snorkel, zip line and have fun, but I'm not sure we are going to be very happy with these ports. It seems Carnival has a bit more options for us. I would appreciate anyone's suggestions, advice, experiences with either or Royal Caribbean and Carnival. Thanks in advance

I love Labadee. The ship is the destination, so what I would do is try not to put off activities to the end of the week. Such as, when you're walking past the carousel, stop and ride it. Same with the Rising Tide Bar- if you think "we have all week so I'll do it later" you may miss out because yes, the ship is big.

With that said, there's a ton of places to grab a bite (free and pay), theres a ton of activities (parades and entertainment events; RCCL does a 70s night like Carnival's 80s night, Love and Marriage like the Newlywed Game, Bingo isnt as often as Carnival but it is more expensive per game...)

All I can say is that it is something to experience at least once- to go on the Harmony, Oasis or Allure. We sailed on the Oasis in 2011 and are just now circling back around to try the Allure...

Make your show reservations well in advance. I like to try to see as many shows the first day or two as I can, and then relax toward the end of the cruise while other passengers are running around trying to get everything in...

Also keep in mind that the venues on the ship cannot accommodate all the passengers, at once, there are several events/shows going on at the same time.

As far as the ports- Cozumel- Check out Mr. Sancho's on Trip advisor

I've never been to Falmouth but from what I've read, that may be a day I stay on the ship and enjoy the ship

Like I said- I love Labadee- in my humble opinion it's much nicer than CocoCay which are the two RCCL "private Islands".

If you buy the drink package, Labadee is included in that unlike what I've heard about Carnival and half moon cay (?).

Also to this date, not everyone over 21 in a cabin "must" purchase the drink package like Carnival requires. (? I don't get the drink packages, but keep in mind that could change whenever they feel like changing it).

One more thing- the Oasis has recently moved to Port Canaveral so I don't know if the bad reviews are from before or after she moved. The long lines I remember were just at certain peak times like parades, but for the most part I didn't feel any more crowded or waited in any more lines than we did on the carnival dream or valor...maybe the time of year/vacation week makes a difference?

Try to get to the port about 9:30 am and be on the ship by 11:30 am.

I hope this helps,

Mimi

The Oasis is an amazing ship! Go and have fun! Cozumel is great (did a jeep tour last time) and Labadee is my favorite private island. We did YS Falls in Jamaica our first time there and totally loved it! The last time we got off for a little shopping and lunch and then went back to the ship.

You will love the ship - just go with an open mind and enjoy how amazing it is!

Have a great cruise!

We used to be avid Carnival cruisers (we sailed 9 consecutive Carnival cruises) before we decided to branch out and booked the Allure of the Seas, but we had similar concerns to yours. As soon as we stepped on the Allure, it was like taking a bite off the forbidden fruit. Our eyes opened and we realized what we had been missing.

- Yes, the ship is HUGE. However, it's divided into neighborhoods so it feels considerably less crowded than ships a fraction of its size. In fact, parts of the ship feel secluded and quiet. Both the ship and the terminal are designed to handle large crowds so everything seems to flow very smoothly.

- Yes, there are tons of activities that you may not be interested in, but there are also tons of activities that you will be interested in. Pretty much everything that Carnival offers you'll find on Royal plus more. These ships are about choices. Yes, you can rock climb, zip line, and ice skate, but you can also sit in a quiet corner and enjoy the ocean go by, grab a drink at a piano bar, take part in silly games, or sing karaoke.

- Even if you were interested in doing every single thing on the Oasis, you won't be able to do it all. Make a list of your must do activities and forget about the rest. We made the mistake of trying to do it all, but halfway during the cruise we realized that we had to relax and enjoy doing nothing too.

- As mentioned before, the Oasis IS the destination. The ports are secondary. Cozumel is Cozumel. We didn't care much for Falmouth, but we loved Labadee. In our opinion, one of the best private destinations that we've ever visited.

Don't second guess yourself. You've made a fantastic decision to sail on the Oasis. Go with an open mind, don't compare it to Carnival, and embrace being a "newbie" all over again!

Edited by Tapi

Going to ports that don't interest you is a bigger mistake then what cruise line takes you there.

We have switched lines. As avid NCL people we sailed Princess a few years ago. The experience was different than what we were used to. It wasn't bad, just different. There were parts we loved -- the warm chocolate chip cookies, the food, the décor. There were parts that didn't work for us, primarily the quieter tempo, the cabin design, & the fact that late night was limited to one venue (the night club) we didn't care for. We still had a great cruise & the islands were awesome! The ports really made it for us.

Princess will probably never be our first choice but that certainly doesn't mean it's not a quality product that is perfect for others.

On any ship, if you are willing to vary your schedule slightly, you can always avoid the crowds. If you insist on eating a prime time you will probably have to wait. So anticipate where the choke points might be & work around them.

Go with an open mind. Even if you don't permanently switch from Carnival to RC, you can still have a blast on this cruise. There will be something you enjoy about your cruise so focus on that or at least the people you are with. Make memories with them; the rest is details.

Bon Voyage!

Edited by trish1c

Going to ports that don't interest you is a bigger mistake then what cruise line takes you there.

We have switched lines. As avid NCL people we sailed Princess a few years ago. The experience was different than what we were used to. It wasn't bad, just different. There were parts we loved -- the warm chocolate chip cookies, the food, the décor. There were parts that didn't work for us, primarily the quieter tempo, the cabin design, & the fact that late night was limited to one venue (the night club) we didn't care for. We still had a great cruise & the islands were awesome! The ports really made it for us.

Princess will probably never be our first choice but that certainly doesn't mean it's not a quality product that is perfect for others.

On any ship, if you are willing to vary your schedule slightly, you can always avoid the crowds. If you insist on eating a prime time you will probably have to wait. So anticipate where the choke points might be & work around them.

Go with an open mind. Even if you don't permanently switch from Carnival to RC, you can still have a blast on this cruise. There will be something you enjoy about your cruise so focus on that or at least the people you are with. Make memories with them; the rest is details.

Bon Voyage!

The ship doesn't make or break for me, except Vista which was poorly designed and I ended up in Medical Center on board fir first time in 29 cruises, twice, because of the metal plates the continuously tripped people the entire 12 day cruise. 9ae3488cd320387387fa35f72c12e969.jpg one of the many plates

Don't second guess yourself. Get out and try something different!

The Oasis is a great ship. The shows are outstanding.

We did the Eastern on the Oasis and the Western on the Allure.

The ports you are visiting have many things to do.

Visit the ports of call board and explore what there is. :)

I cannot figure out how to reply or thank everyone personally who replied thus far. I appreciate your input. We are going to give it a shot and see it as a new adventure. We got some really great excursion ideas from you all so thanks again. Dee

I cannot figure out how to reply or thank everyone personally who replied thus far. I appreciate your input. We are going to give it a shot and see it as a new adventure. We got some really great excursion ideas from you all so thanks again. Dee

Just don't miss the Quest Adult Game Show that will be held later in the week, about 10:30/11:00 pm start....you don't have to play but something you don't want to miss:eek::D:eek::D:eek::D

Have a great cruise!

You are about to go on one of the BEST ships in the world! Yes, Oasis is BIG but it NEVER feels crowded. If you want an uncrowded feeling all the time, have dinner in a different specialty restaurant every night. They are terrific. And the shows....FANTASTIC entertainment! The all adults solarium is also wonderful during the day. As to the ports, Labadee is RCCL's private island - it is just a lovely beach day. Falmouth - go tubing on the White River if you can - it's so much fun and not strenuous. Cozumel - go to a private beach club such as Mr. Sanchos. Here's what you need to understand: Oasis was built to be THE destination. The ports are just icing on the cake but the ship is AMAZING in every possible way. Definitely make reservations for dining and shows online before your cruise. I know this is different than Carnival, but believe me it is well worth it. This is an incredible experience. It is different from Carnival in a GOOD way (and I do like Carnival, but this is an elevated experience and a real wow!) When my husband and I got off Oasis as we walked down the gangway, we looked at each other and said "Let's do that again!" That's how great this ship is!

Just don't miss the Quest Adult Game Show that will be held later in the week, about 10:30/11:00 pm start....you don't have to play but something you don't want to miss:eek::D:eek::D:eek::D

Have a great cruise!

If you have done it on Carnival, prepare for an even better Quest on Royal. Carnival's is on but I find it more adult on Royal. Although the one on Vista was pretty special. You knew it was a new ball game when the host came out in drag.

If you have done it on Carnival, prepare for an even better Quest on Royal. Carnival's is on but I find it more adult on Royal. Although the one on Vista was pretty special. You knew it was a new ball game when the host came out in drag.

That game is a personal preference. It makes me want to hide in my cabin. That is how much I HATE it & want to run screaming from those playing it. I get that people love it but I'd rather jump overboard.

OP if bawdy humor isn't your thing, stay away!!!!