Need help with transportation to Mendenhall Glacier

lucy2mb

I have been searching the boards for best transportation to Mendenhall Glacier. I read a lot of post but they were not recent. One post said to buy one way ticket to Glacier and then a one way back so we wouldn't have to wait for the same bus/shuttle company to come back. I don't know how old that post was.

There are 6 of us in our family but not sure if 4 or 6 will go on the excursion. Most like to hike so walking wouldn't be a problem. I know we will not book through Carnival. Is there a fee to get into the area? I read something about a Senior National Park pass that my husband and I could purchase before our cruise in May. For those of you who have gone before, let me know what you think would be best transportation-rent a car, Blue Glacier, city bus or what? Thank you for any help you can give me. My eyes are so tired from staring at the computer searching Juneau to see what we would like to do there and then searching for best transportation.

I have been searching the boards for best transportation to Mendenhall Glacier. I read a lot of post but they were not recent. One post said to buy one way ticket to Glacier and then a one way back so we wouldn't have to wait for the same bus/shuttle company to come back. I don't know how old that post was.

There are 6 of us in our family but not sure if 4 or 6 will go on the excursion. Most like to hike so walking wouldn't be a problem. I know we will not book through Carnival. Is there a fee to get into the area? I read something about a Senior National Park pass that my husband and I could purchase before our cruise in May. For those of you who have gone before, let me know what you think would be best transportation-rent a car, Blue Glacier, city bus or what? Thank you for any help you can give me. My eyes are so tired from staring at the computer searching Juneau to see what we would like to do there and then searching for best transportation.

Do not stress...this is a pretty easy one to tackle. Personally I would take the Blue or White bus that you can either buy tickets ahead of time OR after arriving in Juneau, and a very short walk, to near the start of the Mt. Roberts Tram where there are kiosks set up to purchase the bus tickets right there...easy peasy...I think the fee is about $30 rt pp and the buses leave like every 30 minutes. There is nice hiking in the Mendenhall Glacier area and is so nice on a beautiful day. As far as the pass is concerned I believe when you PURCHASE the MG tickets you show them your pass and they will reduce that part of the fee....I think! I have not used that part since it went into effect. IF the weather is nice, and not foggy, people recommend going to the top of the Mt. Roberts Tram as well, but only if it is clear so you can see for miles. You might also be able to get a discount doing both of these excursions. There is also nice hiking up on top as well. When you get back you can grab a beer, if you are so inclined, at the Red Dog Saloon where the ambiance is fun, food good and beer cold :-) Hope this helps and personally I LOVE researching the different ports and things to do and see....HAVE AN AWESOME TIME NO MATTER WHAT YOU DECIDE TO DO

Do not stress...this is a pretty easy one to tackle. Personally I would take the Blue or White bus that you can either buy tickets ahead of time OR after arriving in Juneau, and a very short walk, to near the start of the Mt. Roberts Tram where there are kiosks set up to purchase the bus tickets right there...easy peasy...I think the fee is about $30 rt pp and the buses leave like every 30 minutes. There is nice hiking in the Mendenhall Glacier area and is so nice on a beautiful day. As far as the pass is concerned I believe when you PURCHASE the MG tickets you show them your pass and they will reduce that part of the fee....I think! I have not used that part since it went into effect. IF the weather is nice, and not foggy, people recommend going to the top of the Mt. Roberts Tram as well, but only if it is clear so you can see for miles. You might also be able to get a discount doing both of these excursions. There is also nice hiking up on top as well. When you get back you can grab a beer, if you are so inclined, at the Red Dog Saloon where the ambiance is fun, food good and beer cold :-) Hope this helps and personally I LOVE researching the different ports and things to do and see....HAVE AN AWESOME TIME NO MATTER WHAT YOU DECIDE TO DO

I do love searching ports but usually do it at night and end up falling asleep as I am searching. My eyes were just getting so tired today that I decided to ask the question. I guess the post I read about 7.00 one way or $14 round trip was an old post. Thanks for the info.

Thoughts....

• another vote for the Blue/White shuttles. The last shuttles back to the boat in the late afternoon are super popular... don't be left behind!
  • Public transit bus has you walking 1.5 miles (30 minutes) one way from the bus stop to the Mendenhall visitor center. I think the bus frequency is once an hour. Your Juneau time is too valuable to be using public transit for 2 or 3 hours. If it's raining... it's not fun getting splashed by fellow cruisers tour buses as you are walking the side of the road.
  • if anyone in your group has an interest in a whale watch.... consider getting a Mendenhall combo excursion. Both activities are West of Juneau. A combo excursion will save port time.

Thoughts....

• another vote for the Blue/White shuttles. The last shuttles back to the boat in the late afternoon are super popular... don't be left behind!
  • Public transit bus has you walking 1.5 miles (30 minutes) one way from the bus stop to the Mendenhall visitor center. I think the bus frequency is once an hour. Your Juneau time is too valuable to be using public transit for 2 or 3 hours. If it's raining... it's not fun getting splashed by fellow cruisers tour buses as you are walking the side of the road.
  • if anyone in your group has an interest in a whale watch.... consider getting a Mendenhall combo excursion. Both activities are West of Juneau. A combo excursion will save port time.

Well, I have ruled out the city bus now! Thanks! Any idea how much it would cost to include whale watching. We have our big excursion planned already in Skagway and are trying to save money at the other 3 ports.

Ideally.... look for one that does the whale watch first.... once at Mendenhall... then decide whether to abandon the tour and return via Blue/White shuttle.

Different tours will have different times at Mendenhall..... you want extended time when the weather is good. If it rains..... 15 minutes enough as you are not likely wanting to explore the trails.

The shuttle companies raised their rates last yr, and also added the new $5 access fee charged by the Forest Service. The blue bus (glacier express) and the white bus now chgarge $30RT.

With 4 or 6 passengers, a rental car will be a cheaper option, plus it gives you quick access to the whale watching tours. And if you have the time, it's an easy drive to the coast where you can visit Eagle Beach, Shrine of St Therese.

Another transportation option for 4-6 people is a cab. It's about $35 each way. Check the Juneau visitor web site for taxi/rental options. (and a map to see the distance of the pier, Eagle Beach, etc).

we found a whale watching independent excursion for about $150 per person but they did not have a combo tour to go to Mendenhall although I was interested in that.
I guess one can make it a combo by catching a cab to Mendenhall after the whale watch boat....

It's 5.6 miles away....

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/58.3843109,-134.6452814/Mendenhall+Glacier+Recreation+Area/@58.373687,-134.5842213,11.46z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x0:0xe1e3c9930869815a!2m2!1d-134.5459553!2d58.4174415!3e0

Compared to the 12 miles back to the cruise ships....

Edited by xlxo

We are renting a car again this year...Juneau car rental is very close to where our ship docks...$50-$60 for rental and we would have freedom to go and do what we want too.

I checked out the Avis company close to the port and there were not any cars left on the day we will be there. Is there another place besides Avis that is within walking distance from the port?

The shuttle companies raised their rates last yr, and also added the new $5 access fee charged by the Forest Service. The blue bus (glacier express) and the white bus now chgarge $30RT.

With 4 or 6 passengers, a rental car will be a cheaper option, plus it gives you quick access to the whale watching tours. And if you have the time, it's an easy drive to the coast where you can visit Eagle Beach, Shrine of St Therese.

Another transportation option for 4-6 people is a cab. It's about $35 each way. Check the Juneau visitor web site for taxi/rental options. (and a map to see the distance of the pier, Eagle Beach, etc).

The cab sounds like a good option since I couldn't find any rental car at Avis the day we will be there. If we choose the blue bus, should we choose a one way ticket instead of round trip in case a white bus came when we were ready to leave. Could we just purchase the white bus ticket one way back? i read one post that said it was better to do that than round trip. I know the price is the same. The $35 for cab would be total for 4 people-is that correct? If all 6 of us decided to go, I guess the cab would not work. Thanks for your help!

The senior pass is a great investment, good for life, at cost of $10. We used it for the Visitors Center at Mendenhall, as well as on a road trip out west, visiting multiple parks. Only place it didn't work was Gettysburg.

https://store.usgs.gov/pass/senior_pass_application.pdf

EM

That's because most of the stuff to see/do (beyond driving around the battleground) at Gettysburg is private.

The cab sounds like a good option since I couldn't find any rental car at Avis the day we will be there. If we choose the blue bus, should we choose a one way ticket instead of round trip in case a white bus came when we were ready to leave. Could we just purchase the white bus ticket one way back? i read one post that said it was better to do that than round trip. I know the price is the same. The $35 for cab would be total for 4 people-is that correct? If all 6 of us decided to go, I guess the cab would not work. Thanks for your help!

Caveat: Last time we did the blue bus round trip & I'm undecided on how we will do it next time.

But I have read that if you want to take a cab back to the port, have a telephone number for the cab company.

I checked out the Avis company close to the port and there were not any cars left on the day we will be there. Is there another place besides Avis that is within walking distance from the port?

I booked a car rental through Tour in Alaska (https://www.toursinalaska.com/juneau/ ) . I have not used them before but I have been emailing them back and forth and seem really nice maybe someone else has used them and can give their input.

We are renting a car again this year...Juneau car rental is very close to where our ship docks...$50-$60 for rental and we would have freedom to go and do what we want too.

If you don't mind me asking where all do y'all stop and see or is there like a driving tour page that I can download or buy? The first time I went to Alaska we did a excursion through Carnival and this year I decided to rent a car and I know for sure we are going to MG and possibly Glacier Garden but I was wondering what else is interesting to see.

thanks

Avis isn't the only vendor in town.

I've seen quite a few large taxi vans in Juneau, like Evergreen Taxi. They hold 6 pax.

The taxi companies are listed on the town web site if you want to verify price or occupancy. http://www.traveljuneau.com/

When you're ready to leave Mendenhall give them a call about 1/2 hr beforehand.

To see if the shuttle companies will offer one-way tickets this year, contact the vendors. (post back with their response since others will be interested)

blue bus http://www.mmtoursofjuneau.com/

white bus http://www.juneautours.com/

If you don't mind me asking where all do y'all stop and see or is there like a driving tour page that I can download or buy? The first time I went to Alaska we did a excursion through Carnival and this year I decided to rent a car and I know for sure we are going to MG and possibly Glacier Garden but I was wondering what else is interesting to see.

thanks

I'd be surprised if there's 100 miles of hwy around Juneau, so it's very easy to get around. Basically, you travel to Mendenhall, Auke Bay, Douglass Island, or the coast.

The town web site has a map with distances to popular locations. (click on the map to enlarge it)

http://www.traveljuneau.com/cms/d/juneau_area_map.php

Look at the town Visitor Guide for ideas, or trip reports. (ie Arymay's report in 2016)

Avis isn't the only vendor in town.

I've seen quite a few large taxi vans in Juneau, like Evergreen Taxi. They hold 6 pax.

The taxi companies are listed on the town web site if you want to verify price or occupancy. http://www.traveljuneau.com/

When you're ready to leave Mendenhall give them a call about 1/2 hr beforehand.

To see if the shuttle companies will offer one-way tickets this year, contact the vendors. (post back with their response since others will be interested)

blue bus http://www.mmtoursofjuneau.com/

white bus http://www.juneautours.com/

I will be checking out those sites. Right now, I think the taxi or renting a car will be better than the shuttle to help us save some money! My husband and I will both be celebrating with our children our recent retirement. We have never been to Alaska and are looking forward to it! Thank you again for your help!

I have a question. We dock in Juneau at 8:00 a.m. and sail away at 9:00 p.m. We are doing the Taku lodge excursion at 12:30 pm and I think we get back around 4:00 pm. Will we have enough time to go to the glacier either before or after the lodge, and if so, which would be better? I thought I read somewhere that the last shuttle leaves Mendenhall at 6:00 p.m. (but could possibly be 7:00 depending on the schedule). I really want to do both but I am afraid it will be tight. We have 4 people in our party but it may just be my husband and I going to the glacier.

Edited by Beachiekeen

I have a question. We dock in Juneau at 8:00 a.m. and sail away at 9:00 p.m. We are doing the Taku lodge excursion at 12:30 pm and I think we get back around 4:00 pm. Will we have enough time to go to the glacier either before or after the lodge, and if so, which would be better? I thought I read somewhere that the last shuttle leaves Mendenhall at 6:00 p.m. (but could possibly be 7:00 depending on the schedule). I really want to do both but I am afraid it will be tight. We have 4 people in our party but it may just be my husband and I going to the glacier.

It's about a 20 minute ride from the pier to Mendenhall, 30 at most. A taxi would be the most efficient use of your time .... no waiting around for the next shuttle.

If boarding is at 8pm for your 9pm sailaway, have a return taxi scheduled to pick you up at 7.

Edited by mapleleaves