Day 1 on Regal - early impressions and CC!

ian441672

Hi. I am towards the aft end of Regal in a penthouse suite, 3 down from the concierge lounge, R604. Earlier on for our next cruise on Criown, I booked an 'Owners Suite' (she still called it that, though I see it is changing) which is at the very rear of the ship on the outer edge, with a wrap around balcony. This is situated next to a slightly smaller Penthouse suite. On my Alaskan cruise this was triple length balcony, but was still smaller than the Grand Suite, which occupied the whole of the other side of the aft of the ship!

No changes in designation on the Crown. I am guessing that they only did this on the Royal and Regal as the former Owner's suites aren't really the same size wise or in set up as they are on the other ships. They are still nice though!

:confused:

We were standing in the Elite line (with a couple of people behind us) patiently waiting for the "hand wave" and a man just walked up and stood at the counter in front of the rep. Those of us in line said, "excuse me, this is the line" and he turned around and said, "I'm Elite", we in line said, "so are we". He just turned back around and got the attention of the rep. Now that is RUDE!!

Guess he is more Elite than we are.

That is beyond rude. It would have been nice if the Passenger Services rep would have politely told the person to wait their turn but it is what it is.

Commodore? I didn't know there is a Commodore onboard Princess ships.

Happy cruising and good health in 2017, if the Lord wills.

There is only one Commodore in the fleet, it recognizes Commodore Romano's experience and longevity with Princess. He came on board Regal for the Xmas cruise onwards and was extremely personable. I loved the Commodore's talk we went to in the theater where we learned about his career .

Does anyone know where you or how you sign up for the ships tour? I know to do it right away, but how do you go about it? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sign up at the passenger service desk. As you said you probably want to do it as soon as you board because on some sailings they fill up quickly and on others they don't. Better safe than sorry if you really want to do the tour.

Edited by ar1950

Does anyone know where you or how you sign up for the ships tour? I know to do it right away, but how do you go about it? Thanks.

Go to Passenger Services ASAP. They keep the list.

Now for some info that you didn't ask for:

1)Be sure you pack a pair of closed toed shoes, no sandals allowed. Lots of walking and climbing stairs.

2) Have lots of room in your suitcases. The bathrobes are very bulky. They weigh approx. 3 pounds each (though it feels like more than that)...in case you're flying, plan for the extra weight.

3) All the "swag" was brought to our cabin after the tour: pictures, picture frames, aprons, very nice over-sized tablets, and the robes. All nicely packed in the lovely blue bags. One of everything for each participant.

4) We had chocolate covered strawberries and champagne or OJ or mimosas at the end of the tour. YMMV :D

5) The tour was 4 or 5 hours.

BTW: the robes are one size only. They call it extra large, but :rolleyes:.I'm 5'4" and "fluffy" but not massively so and the robe would not wrap around to cover all my stuff. I bought a long zipper and installed it, now it fits just right. On me the hem almost hits the floor, so they are long.

All packed, ready for our 3.5 hour drive into Ft Lauderdale in the morning.

One question, will the rooms be ready to drop off luggage? Seems that the Regal is the only ship not ready from what I've read.

As Club Class, not Elite/Suite, I'm hoping we will be able to use the express lines for boarding. New to Princess and have this on other lines and do like that perk!

We are parking at the port and will not be using a porter - would hate to meet yours! My husband always, to my way of thinking, over tips but he wants our bags to arrive - plus he usually removes them from the car and loads them onto the baggage carts. We are carrying aboard this trip so no issue there, but one reason to wonder if the room will be available.

We used to arrive with 3-4 suitcases for a week-long trip. Watched so many folks with backpacks or carry-ons both walk on/off. Learned to pay attention to what I actually did wear and how many clean clothes went home. Now pack way less!!! So nice to be able to arrive with one suitcase and makes debarkation easy too.

Judy

Our last time on Regal, our mini suite wasn't quite ready but not a problem to drop bags in cabin. Had our valuables & meds altogether so tossed them in the safe & headed to lunch.

Plan on doing same in 3 weeks!

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks. That is what we experienced on our two quick Royal cruises. Didn't want to have to drag our suitcases behind us to lunch.

Do plan to enjoy. We are celebrating my husbands 75th birthday on board.

Judy

Thanks. That is what we experienced on our two quick Royal cruises. Didn't want to have to drag our suitcases behind us to lunch.

Do plan to enjoy. We are celebrating my husbands 75th birthday on board.

Judy

The absolute worst thing is that your room might not be fully ready but you can always drop your bags & head off to lunch.

/QUOTE]

On the Grand last fall, my SIL went straight to the front desk without dropping off luggage or anything to sign up. He was already something like #6. He loved the tour, BTW.

:confused:

We were standing in the Elite line (with a couple of people behind us) patiently waiting for the "hand wave" and a man just walked up and stood at the counter in front of the rep. Those of us in line said, "excuse me, this is the line" and he turned around and said, "I'm Elite", we in line said, "so are we". He just turned back around and got the attention of the rep. Now that is RUDE!!

Guess he is more Elite than we are.

Elite or Elitist? ;)

Happy cruising and good health in 2017, and if the Lord wills, beyond.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Hi, yes, it is in the MDR on deck 6, starboard side (I think!). You will see the sign and the line for non CC. They have a laminate which when you give your stateroom number, they cross off. They didn't ask for my cruise card, just room number. There is no CC designation, just suite/loyalty level. Hope that helps.

Thanks.

Thanks so much for your wonderful CC reviews -- we've all been waiting.

Parked in the garage about 11.35. Walked over to the line and convinced the gentleman that Club Class did get entry into the Preferred Line. Our documentation gave no indication of that. Definitely saved us about 15 minutes in line.

Our card does show Club Class on the upper right corner under the muster station.

On board by noon and dropped off our luggage in the room.

Down to the dining room for lunch. No lines and yes the dining room was open to anyone. However, a suite group sat down in the CC area and said they were awaiting friends. The friends arrived and cut back into club class. The lady stopped by with her clipboard and had to explain that they were able to sit with their friends in the main dining room but that this section of dining was for suite and club class cruisers only.

Enjoying a glass of bubbly on the balcony. No internet package so last post for me.

Judy

Starting 2nd week and I may have mislead others when mentioning about designation on CC on their stateroom cards. As we are suite, we automatically get CC benefits so that is why it doesn't show for us, but it does for those who are specifically CZc. Sorry for confusion, I wasn't aware.

I asked about menu and was told that it would be more or less repeated for week 2, with some minor alterations. Shame, as on most 14 day cruises there are rare repetitions. This being 2 one week cruises means then same menu and entertainment, although the soul night is being replaced by another 'spectacular '.

Was nice being quiet on the ship, and on board immigration was good and over in less than 45 minutes with everyone on time. Spent day resting near aft of ship by the sanctuary where a steady stream of people consistently lined up to book this. V popular obviously. Was nice also not to have to do the the drill with most people, just watching people run around as we sipped a cocktail!

Princess Keys tomorrow and good weather forecast.

It seems from our concierge guy, a very helpful Michael, that we do get a second free Crown Grill, unlike our previous B2B in Singapore when we were told, no! So that is good, then the very excellent CC for the rest of our trip!

Cheers!

Have not been on a Princess cruise for 12 years....but heard great things about the Regal. Heard the Crab Shack was something others enjoyed and was wondering if it is worth doing that as opposed to another dining option.

IMHO, Regal is beautiful.

Regarding the Crab Shack. One man's meat is another man's poison. Only you can decide. Worth is subjective, and relative. Yes? ;)

Report back how you liked it. Or not.

We liked the Crab Shack, but YMMV.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

Edited by Kingofcool1947

OP - hubby and I were also aboard last week when CC rolled out on Regal. Just wanted to echo that we REALLY enjoyed CC. Due to booking so early we enjoyed the upgrade at no extra charge but would not hesitate to pay for it in the future (as long as they dont hike the price up). Glad to hear the weather has improved, last week was rough!

Edited by FutureMrsC

OP - hubby and I were also aboard last week when CC rolled out on Regal. Just wanted to echo that we REALLY enjoyed CC. Due to booking so early we enjoyed the upgrade at no extra charge but would not hesitate to pay for it in the future (as long as they dont hike the price up). Glad to hear the weather has improved, last week was rough!

Might well have dined with you! Echo your comments and still good this week, and head waiter Vasco still attentive and entertaining as ever!

Missed CC tonight as had Chefs Table dinner tonight. Second time we have done this but first for the Lumiere table. Superb experience, good company, fantastic service and incredible food. Took lots of pictures and happy to post when I'm home next week if people want, though don't want to spoil the surprise for anyone. I will say it was worth the expense and we would do it again in a couple of years. Loved the looks we got as we walked through the dining room!

Princess Cays was great, good weather and decent BBQ. Long lines to get back but 50 minutes or so we were back on board.

Turks today and disappointed with the tour of the island. $60 to ride round for 75 minutes in an old minimal air conditioned van looking at not very much apart from an old lighthouse, beach views and a (nice little) church. Then back to the ship! Wasn't worth it as many of these tours are becoming. Need to evaluate what I do moving forward.

Looking forward though to Caymans after a nice day at sea tomorrow. Michael our concierge has delivered everything we wanted, chefs table, all our waitlisted tours and more, great guy!

Weather all good, nice Caribbean breeze though very humid tonight on deck. Another balcony tea tomorrow after a day by the pool I think. The rear pool is calmer, by the sanctuary so that is where we'll be, as Who Framed Roger Rabbit is on and that can get noisy!

Still having fun and lots more to do!