Boston Hotel & Itinerary

DanL

Off Veendam on Saturday 8/5/17 and have early flight on 8/6.

I have looked over the postings from the Boston folks but still not sure on where to stay.

Want to do a bus tour. HOHO bus (orange-and-green trolleys have 18 stops) & stay near a stop OR Boston in One Day Sightseeing Tour (but getting to pick up point may be an issue).

Plan to do Freedom trail (maybe only partly since we are seniors).

Some shopping.

In the evening want to eat wild caught seafood.

I have seen a 4* in seaport convention area on HW that sounds good. Is it convenient to HOHO stops? A good area to stay for what I want to do? Should I wait to book or get a cancellable hotel & watch?

Suggestions for other areas appreciated if they fit my itinerary better.

Have looked at 1 day in Boston sites but where to stay is my major question.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Off Veendam on Saturday 8/5/17 and have early flight on 8/6.

I have looked over the postings from the Boston folks but still not sure on where to stay.

Want to do a bus tour. HOHO bus (orange-and-green trolleys have 18 stops) & stay near a stop OR Boston in One Day Sightseeing Tour (but getting to pick up point may be an issue).

Plan to do Freedom trail (maybe only partly since we are seniors).

Some shopping.

In the evening want to eat wild caught seafood.

I have seen a 4* in seaport convention area on HW that sounds good. Is it convenient to HOHO stops? A good area to stay for what I want to do? Should I wait to book or get a cancellable hotel & watch?

Suggestions for other areas appreciated if they fit my itinerary better.

Have looked at 1 day in Boston sites but where to stay is my major question.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I've looked over the Boston hotels for 8/5. The 4* hotel on Hotwire is likely to be the Westin or the Seaport. The final cost will be about $215 with fees and taxes. This is a good deal. There could be better deals if you wait, but you're planning your trip now and want your hotel resolved, so if you can live with the price, book it now.

The seaport area is a little out of the way for sightseeing, but it has numerous advantages coming off a cruise ship. It's a quick cheap cab ride from the port, which means you will be at the hotel almost immedately. When you go to the airport the following day, it's another quick cab ride to Logan Airport. The Silver Line World Trade Center T stop is right there and the Old Town Trolley picks up there to take you to the connecting stop at Faneuil Hall.

I would suggest studying the Freedom Trail Map and the trolley map to see how you could combine both walking and riding and even a harbor ride. If you take the trolley from Faneuil Hall to the Constitution, you will ride through some of the North End. If the Old North Church and the Paul Revere house are of interest, get off and see them. Do what you like at the Constitution and take the MBTA water taxi back to Long Wharf for your short Harbor cruise ($3.50/pp). http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/boats/lines/?route=F4&timing=S&RedisplayTime=Redisplay+Time

Walk through the Faneuil Hall/Quincy market area and pick up the trolley tour at stop 5 to ride the rest of the route.

If you identify the parts of the Freedom Trail you want to walk, I can help you incorporate them into the trolley tour.

For wild caught seafood check out Legal Seafoods and the Legal Seafood Test Kitchen in the Seaport district. These restaurants would be within walking distance of your hotel.

The seaport area is a little out of the way for sightseeing, but it has numerous advantages coming off a cruise ship.

Thanks Carol(?), is there another area I should look at for a hotel? Prices seem good in waterfront area.

The requirements would be easy access to HOHO bus & not too far from airport or cruiseport.

Do all the HOHO bus lines stop near seaport? Is there one line that is preferable IYO?

I need to study the Freedom trail more to have any intelligent questions also the MBTA routes.

The seaport area is a little out of the way for sightseeing, but it has numerous advantages coming off a cruise ship.

Thanks Carol(?), is there another area I should look at for a hotel? Prices seem good in waterfront area.

The requirements would be easy access to HOHO bus & not too far from airport or cruiseport.

Do all the HOHO bus lines stop near seaport? Is there one line that is preferable IYO?

I need to study the Freedom trail more to have any intelligent questions also the MBTA routes.

I believe the Upper Deck Trolley also has a seaport loop. Old town trolley is the original hoho trolley in Boston. Check out Groupon for coupons for trolley tours.

Prices are good in the Seaport area, particularly on a weekend in August when there's nothing like a convention or business travel going on in that area. Hotels want to fill their beds and the prices often reflect that. Remember that Boston is a small city and very walkable because the distances are not great. Back Bay/Copley would be my second choice, but you will pay more in transportation costs to get there and back to the airport and you're only sounding one night. Our extended family got a great Hotwire deal at the Westin Convention Center in the Seaport for July 4 and we were very happy staying there - our group wandered over to the North End and walked one way to the big fireworks extravaganza on the Charles River.

Cabs are fine, but also research the water taxis. We did a nice water taxi ride at sunset in July- North End to the seaport.

We were also off the Veendam last summer and stayed at the Hilton Downtown Fanueil Hall, which because its in the business district, is relatively less expensive than during the week. Very convenient to the beginning stop of Old Town Trolley, Fanueil Hall, North End, etc. We did in fact hop off and then hop back on the trolley over two days. We met a couple on the bus who recommended that we hop off at the Granary(?) Cemetery. Excellent recommendation if you are at all interested in history.

Down the street from the hotel there's a Dunkin Donuts AND a Starbucks.

If you plan to stay there - become a Hilton Honors member. They run some great deals.

I would definitely stay there again.

• 1 month later...
I used Priceline express which was cheaper than Hotwire to get the seaport Hotel. Happy with it so far.

Now I need to work out my itinerary in Boston.

What are you paying for the Seaport? The Silver Line is right there behind the hotel - super convenient. You will be very happy with it.

What are you paying for the Seaport? The Silver Line is right there behind the hotel - super convenient. You will be very happy with it.

It was $205 total with all the charges. Is the Silver Line a bus or Subway?

It was $205 total with all the charges. Is the Silver Line a bus or Subway?

Great price!

The Silverline is an articulated bus that has a dedicated underground right of way between World Trade Center (Seaport Hotel) and South Station where there is a free transfer to the Red Line which connects with the other subway lines.

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/