walking on Mendenhall

melinda0222

So I realize this question has been asked before, but things change every year. What are the ways you can actually walk on Mendenhall glacier. I have read you have to fly in or kayak/canoe in. Is this correct? Do any of the trails actually lead to walking on the glacier. We were wanting to do a whale watching tour that also stopped at a glacier and let you walk on it, but it looks like that doesn't exist. Can anyone clarify for me, please.

Thanks

You can hike in, with Above and Beyond, but that takes at least 8 hour, the canoe trek takes at least 6, so unless you have over a 12 hour port time, you be option is going to be a glacier helicopter landing and whale watch. Have your vendors cobook this. Saves over an hour in transit time.

You can hike in, with Above and Beyond, but that takes at least 8 hour, the canoe trek takes at least 6, so unless you have over a 12 hour port time, you be option is going to be a glacier helicopter landing and whale watch. Have your vendors cobook this. Saves over an hour in transit time.

Above & Beyond Alaska has a combo canoe and hiking tour that is 6.5 hours: http://beyondak.com/trips/glacier-paddle-trek/

Above & Beyond Alaska has a combo canoe and hiking tour that is 6.5 hours: http://beyondak.com/trips/glacier-paddle-trek/

Yes I know, it's noted above in my post.

The point is- they want to take a whale watch, which may be possible with the times I mention above.

Edited by Budget Queen

Based on my experience (only one non-excursion based visit) if you are just being dropped off the see the glacier (not on one of the excursions mentioned previously by helicopter, guided hike, or canoe) then you cannot get close enough. Neither the East Glacier Loop trail nor the West Glacier Trail gets you close enough to the glacier.

Based on my experience (only one non-excursion based visit) if you are just being dropped off the see the glacier (not on one of the excursions mentioned previously by helicopter, guided hike, or canoe) then you cannot get close enough. Neither the East Glacier Loop trail nor the West Glacier Trail gets you close enough to the glacier.

yes- you CAN walk in from the West trail- you need to allow around 6 hours plus transit time there and back to port.

yes- you CAN walk in from the West trail- you need to allow around 6 hours plus transit time there and back to port.

Ok then, I guess my interpretation of the map that I took a photograph of was wrong. (The purple line stopped quite a bit before the glacier on the map.):)

Ok then, I guess my interpretation of the map that I took a photograph of was wrong. (The purple line stopped quite a bit before the glacier on the map.):)

Your interpretation isn't wrong. The official west trail does not go onto the glacier. You have to go off-trail at a certain point and try to find access to get on the glacier (or ice caves - not exactly safe). I did some digging on this before my trip last summer, and decided it wasn't something I'd do without a guide.

On a previous trip, I've done a heli-hike to Mendenhall, and it was amazing... highly recommended.

Edited by jeffbrig

You post "information" that is partial, and not based experience. It's a simple, turn off, to get glacier access. You have to take the West trail IF you want to access the glacier- and yes I did this in 2015, guided with Above and Beyond.