Cabin choices on Zuiderdam Baltic Cruise Help!

singingintherain

I am sailing with my husband and two daughters (16,13) on the July 4, 2017 12-day Baltic Adventure. The problem I am experiencing is that quad rooms are very few. We are currently booked into cabin 5062 (port side) which is a VA midship balcony room. I am not really thrilled with having the lifeboats right below us and jutting out into view (is this even an issue?). Our only other choice is cabin 6031(starboard) category VB which is forward (no lifeboats but sal de mer?).

Of course another option is to get two rooms. There are AFT cabins available, which have balconies large enough for all four of us to enjoy) on both the Navigation deck (Lido above) and the Upper Prominade deck (?noisy below) and an inside cabin close-by. The extra room would be nice but this option is $1000 more.

This cruise is port intensive. So which room(s) would you choose and why? I am going strictly by deck plans and have found very few reviews to read. Your opinions and experience would be greatly appreciated. I am happy just to be on the ship.

Recently on that ship and on that cruise. I don't think the views of the lifeboats will matter that much - as you say this is a very port intensive cruise.

Coming into the Stockholm Archipelago is very scenic, if this is on the itinerary, but that can still be best viewed from the outer decks or moving up to the balcony.

I think for a family fun vacation getting the balcony cabin just might be worth the extra cost - it gives you the more intimate sense of being at sea and the option to also be in your PJ's with a cup of coffee at the same time.

Lots of interesting ports on that cruise. And a very busy schedule.

Thanks OlsSalt. We will definitely have at least one balcony no matter what - whether it be on Port, Starboard or Aft. I looked at our itinerary and it made no mention of the Stockholm Archipelago - we arrive in Stockholm at 7:00am. I wonder if getting a Starboard room and waking early would give us a glimpse of this wonder? Thank-you so much for your response :).

I would focus more on the number of bathrooms vs. the deck location and view from the balcony- especially with two teenage girls. (Not to mention two televisions and some privacy). For that reason alone, if your budget permits, I would choose two adjoining cabins, no matter where they are located.

As I remember, except for the sail-in through the Stockholm archipelago, most of the other ports are industrial.

Have a great cruise.

Thanks OlsSalt. We will definitely have at least one balcony no matter what - whether it be on Port, Starboard or Aft. I looked at our itinerary and it made no mention of the Stockholm Archipelago - we arrive in Stockholm at 7:00am. I wonder if getting a Starboard room and waking early would give us a glimpse of this wonder? Thank-you so much for your response :).

The Swedish Archipelago is well worth getting up early as it will be pretty light when you are there as it is about -1-2 hours of sailing between cliffs, forests and cabins, a real treat and much closer than seeing the inside passage to Alaska. Having a balcony for this is perfect - since it will be early coming in and late when leaving during their long days of summer.

I knew nothing about it either before we started cruising and cruising and cruising into this wonderful place - a big part of Swedish defenses since it would be hard for any bad guys to hide or run away.

On our last cruise we were coming in pretty early and it appeared there was a "rave" type party that was just wrapping up in an old stone warehouse, still blasting out hard rock music we could hear from our side of the ship - but they were a long way from neighbors The Swedes take full advantage of their long days and short nights. :cool:

You will have a glimpse but I really recommend getting out and seeing the whole thing - at least for a portion if not the whole time. It's magnificent. I like the aft sea view pool area for viewing but any place that gives you a full view is great :)

I would focus more on the number of bathrooms vs. the deck location and view from the balcony- especially with two teenage girls. (Not to mention two televisions and some privacy). For that reason alone, if your budget permits, I would choose two adjoining cabins, no matter where they are located.

As I remember, except for the sail-in through the Stockholm archipelago, most of the other ports are industrial.

Have a great cruise.

You have made some very good points. I agree.

We woke up around 4 am and stood on the balcony for about 2 hours sailing into Stockholm. It was so peaceful and beautiful. It was one of the highlights. Leaving Stockholm was more of a party with abba music playing. Still beautiful but a whole different experience. We were on the starboard side.

Thanks all for your replies. I am now excited about the rising early to see the Stockholm Archipelago which I would have otherwise slept through. Number of bathrooms with teens - definitely noted.

My error calling it the Stockholm Archipelago - I think you will find it referred to as the Swedish Archipelago if you want to do some research on this lovely and important stretch of waterway.