First Timer on Valor March 6 w/ Teen w/ Autism

jensplace

So, I am taking my 17 year old son and we are going on our first cruise! Anyone here cruised with moderate functioning autism and have tips?

Can someone explain the non-alcoholic beverage options? My son drinks lemonade and water nearly exclusively, and I am a tea/coffee/water person. Not sure what kind of package we need?

He has a "watch" that is a cell phone that calls only me and allows me to GPS track him. If I allow him to go to the teen club, will I need to purchase an international phone plan for this tracking system to work?

He is moderately verbal, impulsive, and high energy. Any excursion ideas?

Edit: We are on a 5 day on the Valor out of Galveston. Going to Cozumel and somewhere else I keep forgetting.

Other things a first-timer with a lot on her plate needs to know? It will be just the two of us so I suspect he will be my perma-buddy 24/7. I did learn the teen club allows the kids to come and go at will, and he would definitely need a check in/out system for me to be comfortable.

He asked me if there were TVs and DVD players in the cabins. Are there DVD players?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Edited by jensplace

Hello! I have cruised a few times in the past so I will try to answer your questions. If I remember correctly, you will not need a drink package. There's a soda package and an alcoholic package, but being that you and your son don't drink those I think you'll be fine. They offer free cold tea and lemonade without any package. Coffee may be an additional fee but I don't think it'd be worth it if you're okay with tea or lemonade. There's also water for free but some people feel it tastes different, and in that case you are welcome to bring your own water. I don't remember the specifics though so look that up as to how much water you can bring onboard. (I know they have to be packaged a certain way.) As far as the teen club and excursions, I don't have children and I've never been to the port you mentioned so I'm sorry that I can't help there. Lastly, I believe they don't have DVD players or anything in the rooms but they have movies playing. (Usually two movies playing every so often.) If he really enjoys watching TV you may want to bring a laptop and some dvd's. Make sure you bring the movies though and don't expect to use the Internet to find some unless you buy an Internet package which is expensive. If you do bring a laptop I'd also bring one of those outlet things that have like 3 or 6 more plugs in them. I can't remember what they're called lol. But not one with the off/reset button because those can be dangerous on the cruise. Just the cheap ones.(: (I hope you know what I'm talking about and I don't sound stupid haha.) I can't think of anything else you may need to know.. I hope you and your son have an amazing time! I'm glad you're taking him and allowing him to experience this with you. I'm a counselor so children with autism really mean a lot to me. If you have any other questions or concerns don't hesitate to message me!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Can't speak upon every question, but can answer a few.

At the Lido buffet there is water, lemonade, iced tea, tea, and coffee available 24/7, so you will not need to purchase one of the beverage packages if you plan on drinking just those things.

The watch/phone will not work unless you purchase a calling plan like you had said, Carnival does have wifi packages available. If the watch/phone is able to make calls via wifi this might be a cheaper way to do it then an international calling plan.

There are not DVD players in the rooms, however for being in the middle of the ocean the tv's do pick up a decent selection of channels. If your son is really going to want to watch DVDs maybe purchase one of those portable DVD players with it's own screen.

So, I am taking my 17 year old son and we are going on our first cruise! Anyone here cruised with moderate functioning autism and have tips?

My 15 year old daughter has Asperger's and we'll be cruising with her in July for the first time. I'm very interested in what others have to say about their experience with sailing with autistic children.

Can someone explain the non-alcoholic beverage options? My son drinks lemonade and water nearly exclusively, and I am a tea/coffee/water person. Not sure what kind of package we need?

Lemonade is offered most all day except at breakfast when they replace it with OJ. Coffee and water is available all day for free but it's only marginally drinkable. It really depends on how picky you are about your coffee. The water tasted fine to me but the coffee was not good.

He has a "watch" that is a cell phone that calls only me and allows me to GPS track him. If I allow him to go to the teen club, will I need to purchase an international phone plan for this tracking system to work?

This is a question for your service provider. Some phones require special sim cards to work internationally so you would really need to talk to them.

He is moderately verbal, impulsive, and high energy. Any excursion ideas?

Zip lining is fun if he is not afraid of heights. Cenote hopping is another cool thing to do if he likes to swim. However, some of the cenote's have fish that will nibble (doesn't hurt) at the dead skin on your feet if you stay still for very long so if he is disturbed by things like that you should be aware. Snorkeling and Scuba diving are other choices. It really depends on what he likes and is interested in and any particular things that might trigger him that you need to avoid.

Edit: We are on a 5 day on the Valor out of Galveston. Going to Cozumel and somewhere else I keep forgetting.

Other things a first-timer with a lot on her plate needs to know? It will be just the two of us so I suspect he will be my perma-buddy 24/7. I did learn the teen club allows the kids to come and go at will, and he would definitely need a check in/out system for me to be comfortable.

I would definitely get with them the first day and let them know that you don't want him to be able to leave on his own. When you sign him up for the club online they will ask if he has any special needs.

He asked me if there were TVs and DVD players in the cabins. Are there DVD players?

There are TV's but no DVD players. However, the teens club does have video games if he is into those. There are rentable movies available on the TV's and a cartoon channel if he still likes those.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Looking forward to any other advice you receive. Perhaps I'll write about my experience with my daughter when I get back. She's high functioning but can still be a challenge at times.

Good luck with your cruise. I hope you both have a great time.

Edited by cloudninecat

I have two children on the spectrum. My 17 year old is high functioning Aspergers. He LOVES the teen club and does great there, usually finding another kid that is also a bit socially awkward and they stick together.

My 14 year old has classic autism (no bad behaviors though, thank goodness). He is very shy and quiet, does not really play or speak to other children, so he tends to stick close to me. I did reach out to Autism on the Seas for my upcoming cruise, and while they aren't going to be on this cruise they are going to assist with certain things. I'm going to list them here - you may want to reach out to them as well.

especially as it relates to autism and cruising.

· Prices you find on the Cruise Line websites, are the prices you pay.

· Special Children Nametags

· Cruise PECS

· Cruise Social Story

· Cruise Information and Tips Document specific to Special Needs

· Excursion Reviews (from our past guests)

· Access to our "AotS Community Network"

· Strategies, Services and Resources for Overcoming Cruise/Vacation Special Needs Challenges New!!!

· Small Dinner Table just for your family (for Traditional Dinner Assigned seatings in Main Dining Rooms). Not applicable for Open Seating dining, or Specialty Restaurants.

· Pre-Cruise Questionnaire to aid the onboard Children Counselors

· All of the regular services and activities on board each Cruise Line

· Special Dietary Accommodations

· Priority Check-in onto Ship

· Priority Disembarkation from Ship

· Private Muster Drill Area or Modified Drill (most often exception to remain in Cabin during Drill)

· Autism Awareness Cards for Cruise Staff

· Professional Medical Physicians and Nurses

· Special Gifts

· Special Potty Training Provisions

· Special Children's Program Grouping Rules

· Exemption for Dinner Dress Code

· Most "Special" Requests and Needs met

· Group Discounts available

· Access and Services for People with Physical Disabilities

I can't offer much with respect to your son, but I'll say this:

If you're a tea drinker, you might want to pack some tea bags from home. Carnival recently cut back on their free tea bags, and only offer Lipton black tea, Lipton decaf tea, and Bigelow (or was it Twinings?) green tea. The better teas are available, but they charge for them now.

Good luck on your cruise!

A few thoughts to add. My DD found the Muster Drill harrowing, so if your son has problems with loud noises or announcements I would look into alternatives to this. Also might consider noise cancelling headphones for the duration of the drill if that will help him.

If your cabin is above or below a public space you may want a white noise machine for sleeping as there can be bumps in the night. Also if he's unaccustomed to people going passed the door, it will help cancel that out too.

Depending on how your son does with crowds consider eating earlier or later for the buffet. It can get very busy during the traditional breakfast/lunch hour. Also remember you can order room service if that is easier than negotiating the crowds. Or go get your food and bring it back to the room.

With regards to food. Remember that if your son likes a particular fruit or drink, you can always grab it when you see it and bring it back to your room for later. Apples appear at the morning buffet than disappear for the rest of the day, so we usually take some back to the room for afternoon snacks.

Good luck and have a great time!!

I have two sons (9 and 11) with high functioning autism and we are taking them on their second cruise in 2 weeks.

We allowed our kids to bring their portable electronics and to play them discreetly at dinner and other times when waiting (no volume). We have arranged to do the alternative muster drill for them. We have also asked for a quiet main dining spot. When we cruised on the Pride last year they gave us a table in a side room off the main dining room that was quieter than the main dining room. I hope our upcoming cruise will have a similar place.

We are going to allow them to sign out of the kids programming because they know when they are getting overwhelmed and need to take there own space an go back to the cabin. My older son will only explode if he is continually pushed and he feels cornered, therefore if there is a way for him to escape and save face it helps a lot.

Our older son loves the Guy's burgers and he will probably eat there every day for lunch, our younger son loves the ice cream.

We are going to Cozumel this time. our plan is to take a taxi to a marine park to go snorkelling, we will see how that goes. Last time in Freeport we did the dolphin encounter, and my older son just loved interacting with the dolphins.

I have two sons (9 and 11) with high functioning autism and we are taking them on their second cruise in 2 weeks.

We allowed our kids to bring their portable electronics and to play them discreetly at dinner and other times when waiting (no volume). We have arranged to do the alternative muster drill for them. We have also asked for a quiet main dining spot. When we cruised on the Pride last year they gave us a table in a side room off the main dining room that was quieter than the main dining room. I hope our upcoming cruise will have a similar place.

We are going to allow them to sign out of the kids programming because they know when they are getting overwhelmed and need to take there own space an go back to the cabin. My older son will only explode if he is continually pushed and he feels cornered, therefore if there is a way for him to escape and save face it helps a lot.

Our older son loves the Guy's burgers and he will probably eat there every day for lunch, our younger son loves the ice cream.

We are going to Cozumel this time. our plan is to take a taxi to a marine park to go snorkelling, we will see how that goes. Last time in Freeport we did the dolphin encounter, and my older son just loved interacting with the dolphins.

I don't know what ship you're on, for your upcoming cruise, but on Carnival you can email the Maitre-d' and request a specific kind of dining table -- in your case, ask for the quietest area they have.

If your cruise is 2 weeks out, then this week is the perfect time to email your request. They don't start working on table seating arrangements until about the week or two before each cruise.

I think you are going to have a great time.

We just did that itinerary in Aug (Liberty instead of Valor)...

Cozumel.... not sure if you like snorkeling or water sports. Chankanaab park might be a good option.

We did the Fury catamaran-deluxe snorkel boat and beach. Had a blast.

Progreso is the other port.

I highly recommend you do the Uxmal ruins tour. It is all day, but really interesting and massive buildings. Is he interested in history at all? Mayans were great mathemeticians and architects... really nice tour.

As far as the cruise itself.... no DVDs BUT there are the Dive In movies at night. Free popcorn and sit out in lounger by pool with a blanket. Really fun.

Click on my Liberty cruise, right below my signature to see our trip report and see the videos of the excursions.

robin

If you haven't already check out the Special Nneds boards here - they are a wealth of information.

One thing I noticed when traveling with kids in general is packing some very familiar objects for those "meltdown times" - for my D it was favorite books & her stuffed kangaroo.

I'm certain you'll both have a wonderful time!

If you haven't already check out the Special Nneds boards here - they are a wealth of information.

One thing I noticed when traveling with kids in general is packing some very familiar objects for those "meltdown times" - for my D it was favorite books & her stuffed kangaroo.

I'm certain you'll both have a wonderful time!

Here's a link to the boards:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Thanks, everyone!

Good to know about lemonade! And thanks for the tea bag tips--I have zillions of tea bags here so I can easily pack them.

We booked through Autism on the Seas so we are getting the private muster, priority boarding/leaving, and other perks.

I will check with the teen club to see how that works.

He is great in restaurants, and I picked the early seating for dining because that is when he is used to eating. Good to know we can just grab and go if we need to, though.

I think if I tell him he can't bring DVDs he will be OK--I have loaded several favorite movies to his iPad and watch those if needed, but I would prefer to push him a little out of his routine and try new things.

He has zero interest/knowledge in history--he has the cognition of a 4-5 year old. I would like zip-lining, so I will explore that with him. Not sure--he's not much of a thrillseeker. He would HATE the fish nibbling at his feet!

He will be 18 in April and "graduating" from high school in May, so this is kind of a birthday/senior trip (he will go to high school for three more years, but will walk at graduation with his peers).

Thanks for the link to the special needs board--I had no idea it existed!

Keep the ideas coming--I am loving the information!