As a longtime guest (25 complete and several booked in future) and also a little-less-longtime travel agent, I was extremely unhappy to see the new ocean ships pushed back to 2022. By 2022 Symphony and Serenity will be nearing "antique" status in the luxury end of the market regardless of what is done in the 2017/2018 drydock refits. In retail travel, age matters, and age of the ship is virtually always one of the first questions asked by prospective guests once the itinerary is settled. While Endeavor and her sisters will be new builds, they will be niche products at best and will not necessarily appeal to the broader cruise market. Given that Regent, Silversea and Seabourn will all have new ships in the water long before Crystal, is any consideration being given to shuffling the build schedule to move up the new ocean ship, and if not, why not.

Dear Roland4,

It’s natural for the market to become excited with new ships. In reality though, a new ship is a small fraction of the big picture when it comes to a luxury vacation experience. It is Crystal Clear to me and my executive team that the hallmarks of our success are connected to the personalized service by our wonderful crew, compelling itineraries filled with rich destination experiences, a tantalizing display of culinary art, and a diverse portfolio of entertainment performances.

In setting our course for unprecedented growth, the new development timeline is an opportunity to listen and deliver to luxury travelers’ discerning preferences, and exceed their wishes.

Dear Roland4,

It’s natural for the market to become excited with new ships. In reality though, a new ship is a small fraction of the big picture when it comes to a luxury vacation experience. It is Crystal Clear to me and my executive team that the hallmarks of our success are connected to the personalized service by our wonderful crew, compelling itineraries filled with rich destination experiences, a tantalizing display of culinary art, and a diverse portfolio of entertainment performances.

In setting our course for unprecedented growth, the new development timeline is an opportunity to listen and deliver to luxury travelers’ discerning preferences, and exceed their wishes.

With all respect, this does not answer the question. Age matters, regardless of the onboard experience. If you drive your existing, loyal guests to the new ships of the competition, and potential new clients are scared off by your old ships, who will fill the new ships when you finally get around to launching one in seven years' time?

Dear Roland4,

This really is a dismissive non-response. Roland is an experienced and discerning Crystal customer, who has often leapt to Crystal's defense. I do not think it is appropriate to treat him like a child in a sweet shop who "naturally" becomes "excited."

It is curious that Crystal's "listening" strategy expressly excludes the use of tried and tested focus groups.

Is it too much to hope for a CEO who respects her customers?