First time Cruiser and with small kids

ajs89

Hi everyone! I'm completely new to this forum and to cruising. A coworker actually recommended I check this place out as I guess for her honeymoon this place helped a lot with her planning.

Anyway, I have a question for those of you who have cruised before in Alaska. I'm trying to determine if I should go or maybe wait a little until the kids are older.

Background info: my in laws have decided to plan an Alaskan cruise for their 40th wedding anniversary and they want to take the family. It would include my in laws, their son and his wife with a 12 year old and 10 year old, and their daughter with her husband and also a 10 year old child. And then me...My wife, their daughter, sadly passed away almost 5 months ago so I would be sailing solo with my 5 year old, 3 year old and 1.5 year old (ages at time of sailing). I know the in laws would probably help out some, but also with it being their anniversary trip I want to make sure they see and do everything they want and my kids being so little I don't know if Alaska is the best first cruise option.

Sorry for the long winded explanation, this has been weighing on me a lot and they need an answer from me soon. My concerns are that I haven't ever cruised, much less with 3 young children, and I've never been to Alaska. Do you all think taking kids that young to Alaska is a mistake? Should I decline and try again when the youngest is a bit older?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm so sorry for your loss. I haven't been to Alaska before - summer 2017 will be our first to Alaska. But I have cruised before. I think if you are going on a cruise that has a good nursery and kids club that would help you a lot. We did Disney last year and their kids clubs and nursery were fabulous. I think the big challenge you'll have is not with the cruise itself but around excursions in Alaska. Many of them involve nature and include sitting on a boat for hours (whale watching), sitting on a train for hours (viewing scenery), etc. You'll need to pick excursions that might be different than what the rest of your family has planned. I would go for it though.

First of all, I'm sorry to hear about your wife's passing.

As a grandmother who has been married 46 years and done family vacations for milestone events, my first suggestion is to talk with your inlaws (which you probably have done). For me, it's always been important to have the entire family together. Given your situation, I'm sure your inlaws would really like to have you and your kids on the cruise for the celebration. I'm guessing that would mean a lot to them. In other words, the primary reason you would be going on the cruise is to celebrate your inlaws anniversary. The destination is secondary.

Is Alaska a good cruise to go on with the kids? That's a harder question to answer. Your kids are young enough that the destination is probably irrelevant. Most cruise lines have a kids club, so your kids will have plenty of opportunity to interact with other kids their age, although the youngest one may not meet the age requirement to be left at the kids club.

Hope my perspective helps!

Thank you for the condolences.

I appreciate you both taking the time to respond and share your perspectives. @julietsmom I guess that would be the main thing just let them do whatever excursions and catch up with them when they are back. I don't know how I feel about kid camps and having strangers watch them yet. I will have to read more about what is offered and the protocols.

@rsf cruiser I appreciate your response as a grandparent. I'm beyond grateful my inlaws want to take us all on vacation, I've just been worried about the kids being so little being any sort of bother on their special vacation. I did express my concerns about traveling for the first time alone with 3 kids 5 and under and my in laws of course were saying how they would help out and such. I guess I'll talk to them again and make clear I don't want them to miss any once and a lifetime things on account of us.

I am very sorry for your loss.

I have never been to Alaska, first time will be in May 2017 with a 5 year old and a 1.5 year old. But, I have cruised since my kids were 6 months and I do have to say that we have found that cruising is one of the easiest ways to vacaction when you have small kids. You should be fine as long as you take a good stroller for the 3 and 1.5 year old because you will definitely need it and there is no need to stay on the boat. There are plenty of things to do with small kids, just at a slower pace.

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry to read of your loss. I am definitely not in your position but I can answer a few questions from a different perspective.

I would say go.....I just lost my parents. The time that the entire family spends together will be precious memories for everyone. A cruise is a pretty good option in that there are a lot of staff around to help. The cabin stewards will clean your room, the child care employees will make sure they are safe and having a great time when they are not with you or other family members. See what infant care is provided on your particular cruise. Disney provides it, but charges for babies (or did back when I last sailed) Others might provide even "baby sitting" free of charge. Either way if they have the service, then all the children will be well cared for and you will have a bit of a chance to be a grown up and not just a parent. Even if you never use the child program services, so many staff have kids back home the they miss, that they will make your children feel like royalty and spend extra time doing magic tricks, bringing them chocolate milk just like they like it, or pulling a cup of ice cream out of the air to stop a meltdown.

Again, so sorry.

As RSFcruiser said , this trip is for your inlaws, to celebrate their anniversary and make special memories with the family.

Your kids are too young to get the most out of this Alaska experience and appreciate the history and culture. But that doesn't mean they can't have a good time. Do they travel well? adjust easily to new surroundings? enjoy new experiences. Things for you to consider.

Alaska is primarily about scenery. Adults enjoy looking at snow capped mountains, forested shoreline, and small coastal communities; those things don't hold a kids attention too long. But there are child friendly, budget friendly things to do in each port. ie in ketchikan the totem poles can be fascinating - colorful exaggerated figures cut into each totem, with an intersting story behind each one. And the Forest Service has the Southeast Discovery Center. In juneau rent a car and drive to Menenhall glacier, and walk the trail to Nuggett falls..

Read thru trip reports posted in STICKYS above. There are quite a few family reports, altho not many include a toddler. The reports will let you see how a Alaska cruise worked out for these families.. Most appreciated a swimming pool to help occupy the kids.

Here are a couple to get you started:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2076940

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2221528

Background info: my in laws have decided to plan an Alaskan cruise for their 40th wedding anniversary and they want to take the family

I know the in laws would probably help out some, but also with it being their anniversary trip I want to make sure they see and do everything they want and my kids being so little I don't know if Alaska is the best first cruise option.

Thoughts....

• when are they proposing the trip? If before August, I would go for the dry weather. After July, I would say wait for another year because of the statistical wet season.
  • Have your inlaws previously been to Alaska already? Do you plan to be with them on the excursions? Sometimes it may be easier to go on different separate excursions because of cost and the kids interest.
  • Keep in mind.... in addition to the cruise price.... there's the additional cost of excursions, gratuities, pre/post-cruise accommodations, airfare and taxes.
  • have they decided which cruise line? Some cruise lines work better with young children than others.
  • the glaciers are not getting bigger.

First off, I am sorry for your loss.

All the major lines have kids clubs and activities (at least for the 5 and 3 yo). The first day you will be able to tour them and meet the staff to help decide if you want your children there. You also have 4 other adults in your group who I am sure will help out as well enjoying aunt and uncle time! I am sure it would also mean a lot to your in laws to have your family there.

Also sorry for your loss.....

I would go just for your in-laws and for their celebration.

I wish the 1.5 year old would be older so they could partake in the kids club. I would make sure the 3 year old is potty trained as that is a requirement for many kids clubs.

There are plenty of family excursions that the kids will enjoy. For example - in Ketchikan, there is the duck tour and the Lumberjack show which young kids love.

Thanks to everyone. I appreciate the replies. I've spent a lot of time thinking about it and you all definitely helped with your advice as I've never cruised before. I think we will give it a shot! Thanks again.

My condolences.

I am of two thoughts on this: 1. It's never too early (they are never too young) & 2. wait until the youngest is old enough for the age appropriate activities in the "camp."

Our scenario was different - it was just us, not extended family.

We waited until our son was 2, so that he could go to Camp Carnival.

He loved it & has also loved "camp" on Royal Caribbean & Holland America.

I would take the cruise now so that your kids can enjoy the time with their cousins and grand parents.

I'm taking my son on his second AK cruise this summer.