Some Questions

AllenF

Hello,

My wife and I are thinking about taking a 10 day southern cruise on the Volendam out of Ft. Lauderdale. We have not cruise Holland America before but would love to try a different cruise line. I have a few questions if some of you would be kind enough to answer. We always get a cabin with a verandah and I would like to know about the room service I have read you can have your dinner on your verandahs is there a cost for that or is that included in the cruise price. Also does the room service include a full menu for all 3 meals? I have read about the 3 different clothing options for dinner and that it is suggested that you stay dressed the same way the entire evening after dinner is that enforced?

We are not big drinkers and I have grown a slight bit impatient we the emphasis some put on staying drunk the entire cruise not that having a few drinks is bad just wondering if Holland is a bit more focused on relaxation rather than intoxication. I work very hard and put in many hours and use my cruise vacation as a way to reenergize my body and mind and most of all RELAX. I also enjoy being able to work out and I am assuming HA has the same type of facilities all cruise lines offer. Also are you allowed to bring a small amount of sodas or wine onboard? Thanks

Hello,

My wife and I are thinking about taking a 10 day southern cruise on the Volendam out of Ft. Lauderdale. We have not cruise Holland America before but would love to try a different cruise line. I have a few questions if some of you would be kind enough to answer. We always get a cabin with a verandah and I would like to know about the room service I have read you can have your dinner on your verandahs is there a cost for that or is that included in the cruise price. Also does the room service include a full menu for all 3 meals? I have read about the 3 different clothing options for dinner and that it is suggested that you stay dressed the same way the entire evening after dinner is that enforced?

We are not big drinkers and I have grown a slight bit impatient we the emphasis some put on staying drunk the entire cruise not that having a few drinks is bad just wondering if Holland is a bit more focused on relaxation rather than intoxication. I work very hard and put in many hours and use my cruise vacation as a way to reenergize my body and mind and most of all RELAX. I also enjoy being able to work out and I am assuming HA has the same type of facilities all cruise lines offer. Also are you allowed to bring a small amount of sodas or wine onboard? Thanks

Hi Allen....

My husband and I just returned this week from ten wonderful days aboard Volendam. We have cruised HAL many, many times in the past on (almost) all HAL ships. Volendam is a very beautiful, well maintained ship with wonderful art, fantastic floral arrangements, subdued and tasteful decorating. Her dining room is not one of the most beautiful in the fleet, IMO, but is the same wonderful two level design as the others.

We always have an "S" Suite and enjoy the very large verandah. We have room service breakfast out there almost every morning. Your cabin steward, when he turns down your bed each evening, will leave a menu for you to select your breakfast. Fill it out, mark the time you want it delivered and hang it outside the door.

You can order from the dinner menu to be delivered to your cabin for room service but must do so when the first seating is having their dinner. It can be delivered at a later time, if you wish.

There is 24 hour room service available and a menu is located in a general information portfolio placed in every cabin.

Any other questions.......ask away. I'm sure someone can answer most any question you may have.

Sorry.......I forgot to add that Volendam has a gym which we used most days of our cruise. The usual treadmills, bikes, weights etc

Also......There is no reason for you to ever order any cocktails at all if you do not wish. One of the best things IMO about HAL is that it is not a 'party hearty' cruiseline. That is not to say they don't have nice lounges with live music, dancing and guests enjoying their :) beverages of choice but no one pushes drinks at you if you don't want any.

There is no charge for Room Service. You may wish to tip the steward when he delivers your order. WE always do.

I think Sail has answered all your questons.

I would like to add that, although I have never done it, I am told that you can write on the breakfast request card, that you hang on the outside of the door, any breakfast item that is not listed on the card.

Regarding exercise: beside a well equiped gym with forward facing windows, the Volendam has a wrap around teak deck with no obstructions or detours. I know the ships on some other lines do not have this type of walking deck. Three laps around on the R class ships equals a mile. I think it is 3.5 on the older S class ships and I cannot rememer what it takes to do a mile on the newer Vista ships. No jogging allowed, but power or brisk walking is a great work out in the open air.

Thank you all for your replies. Being able to walk around the ship to exercise sounds great, treadmills get old and nothing quite beats having fresh air while you walk. We are looking at doing this Cruise next Dec 2006 the other line we were ;) considering was Princess sailing out of San Juan. My wife and I are in are early 40s and this cruise line sounds like it is more and more what we would love to try. I think any cruise is a good cruise and I have had no complaints with the cruise line we have sailed on and have other cruises we have up coming on. We just wish to try something different and this sounds like it is it. Once again thank you for the information.

Hello,

I don't believe anyone answered your question about bringing Soda and Wine on board. They do allow you to bring wine on board but don't think they want you to bring soda. Yes there are 3 types of dress, formal, informal and casual and most people on HAL adhere to the code for the entire evening. This is not enforced simply requested. There are always a few that do not follow the suggestion. We had a man on a cruise insist on wearing his white terrycloth robe throught the sea days to everything from Java Cafe to team trivia. In addition they ask you wear a cover-up and shoes while in the lido and public areas but there are always those that think the rule is not for them. I am sure you are going to love sailing HAL, have a great cruise.

Joanne

We haven't been on the Volendam, but we love HAL. We are only in our 30's, but have found we enjoy the older crowd.

The only time we have seen anyone visibly intoxicated was once, on this past Mexican cruise. They were two of the younger couples (50's; for HAL, this is usually considered younger).

They saw me near the elevators, and one of them blurted out that my hair was too long, I needed a haircut. They obviously didn't notice that I have cancer, nor did they care.

We have sailed on HAL for a total of 31 days, and this was the only unpleasant experience we have ever had, and it wasn't bad, at that, they were just drunk and rude.

If you're not the party-all-the-time types, I think you will enjoy HAL. We do!

In ten cruises on HAL (98 days) I have seen a few tipsy, silly, loquacious folks and one or two who had trouble staying awake. I have never encountered an obnoxious drunk.

I have seen some very few demanding, loud and mean-spirited people on HAL. Compared to the general population anytime, anywhere, I think you will find the vast majority of your fellow HAL pax to be delightful people.

Book that Volendam cruise. You will be glad you did!

I must add that my most relaxing cruise was on Holland. I have never seen anyone that I thought was drunk and acting ridiculous. The servers are always there if you need something but never IMO push the drinks. They ask once and if you decline they just smile and move on. From what you have indicated, I think Holland may be a good fit for you. I have booked the Volendam 10 day cruise next year for some of the reasons mentioned in your thread. Enjoy your planning.

HAL skews to an older, more sedate crowd than one often sees on other mid to lower-priced lines. I think HAL believes that its passengers know how to entertain themselves and therefore does not promote rowdy, drunken activities but emphasizes the good life in terms of impeccable service, beautiful surroundings (the HAL- owned art on Massdam was stunning) and a low-key experience. That's not to say there are NO activities; but the activities aboard are ones for which you won't have to debase yourself to enjoy!

Archived