Eclipse January 2-8, 2017 short review

Joby

Just wanted to post a short review of our January 2-8, 2017 Eclipse cruise. I always appreciate when others post their opinions and thoughts.

It’s so interesting how opinions can differ on the very same cruise. So much depends on a person's attitude, experience level, expectations, pocketbook, etc.....

My first 5 cruises were on Celebrity (Century, Galaxy, Mercury, Summit, Constellation) from 2004-2008, Jan. 2010 Carnival Valor, Jan. 2011 HAL Westerdam, Feb. 2016 RCCL Serenade, and back to Celebrity Eclipse Jan. 2017. We have an upcoming 9 night RCCL Navigator of the Seas cruise February 2, 2018.

I hadn’t been on Celebrity for 8 years and was anxious to sail with my husband on his 1st Celebrity cruise. He has only been on 2 other cruises (Westerdam and Serenade). I told him that I have always felt Celebrity was a notch above the rest.

The biggest positive was the very strict smoking policy! LOVED IT!!!

Also, still loved the lack of announcements and the elegance of the ship. Some of the little things were still there—champagne upon initial boarding and cold towels and water when returning to the ship from a port day, a small chocolate on our pillows at night. Just nice little touches that set Celebrity apart. We also loved the hot glass shows, what a unique experience and such talented young people.

The Eclipse is a beautiful ship!

My feelings overall were that the food has gone down a notch, the employees have been thinned out and the attitudes were not quite as chipper as I remembered. While everything was very nice the cruise just didn’t WOW me as they used to.

I feel that thinning out the number of employees probably has an effect on the overall morale. They seem much busier and don’t have the time to chit chat, or go above and beyond as in my former Celebrity cruises. It’s too bad as they all still work VERY hard and provide a very good service.

We had a great dinner team of Angel, Ramone and sommelier Luis. They were very busy and seemed like they were stretched very thin but, still provided very good service. The photographers at dinner and around the ship were not as annoying as they used to be—a plus.

We initially had trouble with room service but, it was soon remedied.

We had a drink package included in our cruise as well as OBC. We did upgrade our drink package to Premium with some of our OBC. We have never had a drink package on any cruise. We really enjoyed trying a few different drinks and wines and our sommelier was great in suggesting wines with each course at dinner each night. I am sure we didn’t drink what the package cost; but it was enjoyable to get a drink and/or soda without worrying about the cost. We had trouble getting service in the Wine Cellar, so skipped it from then on. Most of the bars were packed! The best service we found was the Martini Bar around 4:30 pm and the pool bar late in the evening after early dinner seating for a Frangelico. We did get to see one of the martini bartenders do a “show” where he made and poured about 7 martinis at one time. It was really great, I sure couldn’t do that. I am lucky to do two drinks at a time without spilling anything :) What a fun bar to people watch and try some new things! I sure wish I had a Chocolate martini or a Fresca martini right now ;)

I Gusto, our room steward, always provided a clean and neat cabin.

I did notice that fellow passengers seem to like the Evening Chic dress code. I prefer to dress up on what I used to call Formal nights but, that’s my preference. There weren’t many men in suits/tuxes or women in long dressy dresses. But, people did seem to dress appropriately. Actually, one evening we were in the elevator with a middle aged man who said he was turned away at the dining room for having nice tennis shoes (sneakers)/nice shorts on. He was OK with it as he said he had previously worked in a country club and they would do the same with patrons, so he understood.

We got a great price on this cruise for a Concierge C2 balcony (our first) and felt that we had good value for the price. If we would have paid a few hundred more, my opinion might be a tad different. We also enjoyed our CC balcony but, wouldn't pay extra for it on another cruise.

Saying all of this, we still had a great time, had a great team at dinner, the food and service was good and the ship was just lovely. We would certainly take another Celebrity cruise for the right price! It just didn't WOW me the way my first 5 cruises with Celebrity did. We both felt it was pretty equal overall with the RCCL Serenade cruise we did last year.

I was on the Eclipse 5 years ago for the New Years cruise. It was short staffed..the worst cruise director and entertainment of any ship I have ever been on ( we have been on over 60 cruises), terrible food, I actually lost weight on this one. Concierge cabin, which is a big nothing IMO. All in all a boring ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on this cruise and although we had a great time we were disappointed with the number of shorts and t shirts on chic night, so much so we didn't dress up the 2nd one as we felt overdressed. We were on the previous cruise and it was so different, lots of dressed up people. I think the shorter cruises, from experience, are more relaxed clothes wise.

I was on the Eclipse 5 years ago for the New Years cruise. It was short staffed..the worst cruise director and entertainment of any ship I have ever been on ( we have been on over 60 cruises), terrible food, I actually lost weight on this one. Concierge cabin, which is a big nothing IMO. All in all a boring ship.

Our experience differed from yours in that we enjoyed the cruise, it just wasn't how I had experienced my first 5 Celebrity cruises. I do agree it was shorter staffed too but, they still did a good job albeit I'll bet they had to work harder to do it.

We enjoyed the ship, we thought it was lovely. Also, wish I could say I lost weight but, no can do :o

We were on this cruise and although we had a great time we were disappointed with the number of shorts and t shirts on chic night, so much so we didn't dress up the 2nd one as we felt overdressed. We were on the previous cruise and it was so different, lots of dressed up people. I think the shorter cruises, from experience, are more relaxed clothes wise.

We felt overdressed on the first formal night too but, we (I, my DH is kind enough to oblige me) do enjoy dressing up, so that's what we did. I did think it was more fun in the past when most everyone dressed up on formal nights.

That was five years ago, what relevance does that have to do with a cruise in 2017? Also 60 cruises, many on this forum have many more. I think you need to move on.

We were on the Eclipse in mid-December and it was wonderful, I can't recommend this ship enough.

Edited by Oville

That was five years ago, what relevance does that have to do with a cruise in 2017? Also 60 cruises, many on this forum have many more. I think you need to move on.

We were on the Eclipse in mid-December and it was wonderful, I can't recommend this ship enough.

She's my favourite ship (won't bother saying the number of cruises I have been on - forget!) Can't wait to board her again in July this year for a reunion cruise with many people we have met on past cruises.

We were on the same cruise and had the same waiters as you. Angel was great! Had a great time. Saw Chichenitza, it was awesome. Crossed it off my bucket list. Overall, it was a great cruise. On to the Summit for the Independence cruise in late June.

Wish we would have known you were CC members :) We would have said hi!

Chichen Itza is a beautiful ruin. We were able to climb El Castillo about 12 years ago when we visited. I hear that it is not allowed now. I have to say I have mixed feelings on allowing climing on the ruins--on one hand I can see the danger of it, on another I also can imagine the wear and tear on an irreplacable site. I did feel a little guilty climbing it but, didi it anyway:o

My husband John and I will be cruising Sunday on the Eclipse. It will be our sixth time on her. I have never been on a Celebrity cruise that I didn think was fabulous! We are always in a basic balcony room with most dinners in the Mir.. Maybe we are just easy to please.

Get over it!

Bummer for you! Thanks for posting your opinion.

I'm on the Eclipse now, finishing the final leg of the cruise that followed the OP's, and we've noticed the same thing about the employees: they seem kind of harried. Not true of the suite-specific staff we've encountered--our butler, the concierge at Michael's, and the wonderful staff in Luminae--but other than that, I do get a sense of lower morale perhaps due to being overworked.