Packing wine in checked bags?

Anyone with any experience packing wine in their checked bags when flying? We have a couple of those sealable bubble wrap wine bags, my husband thinks they will work fine, I'm nervous they might break and leak. Any suggestions?

I've transported wine on 5 continents in checked bags. At first, I did things like pack a bulky wine shipping box. But now I just wrap some clothes around the bottles and pack them in the center of the suitcase. Haven't had a problem yet. I'm just careful to make sure bottles don't clink together. Wine bottles are designed to be sturdy. If you're really concerned about leakage, just stick it in a plastic bag first.

I have transported wine in bags in the past without incident other than one time. The wine was in a tote bag but one of the bottles broke. Had to be a red one, of course. What a mess. It came down the baggage carousel stinking of wine. We carried the tote bag to the nearest trash receptacle and pitched the broken glass and whatever else we could do without in the trash. That may have been the last time we carried wine on board an airplane. Or maybe it was before we discovered "wine skins" to wrap the bottles inside. In any case, we now find a liquor store near the port and carry the wine bottles in our backpacks.

Anyone with any experience packing wine in their checked bags when flying? We have a couple of those sealable bubble wrap wine bags, my husband thinks they will work fine, I'm nervous they might break and leak. Any suggestions?

We use the wine diaper reusable bag we ordered from amazon.

Hi, we have carried wine in checked bags a number or times. The bottles need to be separated from each other and we make sure there are clothes above, below and on the side of each bottle. You can use shoes as extra protection. We have never had any trouble.

Mary-Anne

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We brought back several bottles of wine from Europe last summer without mishap. I brought bubble wrap with us (large bubbles) for this purpose and wrapped the bottles in that, then in a tied heavyweight plastic bag. They were separated in our luggage and surrounded by clothing.

Next cruise: Carnival Vista - July 2016

So we found a liquor store near our hotel, any recommendations on good wines available in Texas? We are not wine snobs, my husband likes sweet whites, I usually drink a red blend (Chateu St Michelle Indian Wells Red Blend). But I do like whites on occasion. Thanks